Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Martha Kemp

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 26 Feb 2015 14:24

This was such a lovely reply, even though not a direct link.

There are some nice/lovely people out there.

John originally contacted me with the following

Hello, I am working on my family tree (Coram-Hagerman) and am the great-grandson of Hubertus McGuire. I would appreciate any information you could share with me to more fully complete my information.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
John Hagerman

Candis,
Please excuse the lateness of my reply. Many thanks for your recent email with photos, facts and the Mary Bradford story of John Henry which was especially interesting. The photos have been added to the Hagerman/Coram family tree at Ancestry.com.

I remembered a story my mother told me many years ago when she and I were discussing our family. Margaret McGuire (Hubertus's first wife and my great-grandmother) died in 1922 at the age of 68. My grandmother died 10 years later at the age of 53. Hubertus attended my grandmother's funeral (most likely without Martha) and spoke to my 15-year-old mother while my grandfather was close enough to hear. Hubertus referred to Martha as a "reader and advisor" and told my mother that if she ever wanted to contact her mother, that he and Martha could arrange it.
This infuriated my grandfather and upset my mother, and this was the last contact with Hubertus.
I called Prospect Cemetery in Toronto to ask the location of Hubertus's grave, and was told that there is no record of his burial, or Martha's at Prospect. I wrote to Prospect, enclosing the death certificates which indicate Prospect as the cemetery of record, asking them to check again. I hope to solve this mystery.
The 1920 marriage record of Mary Jane Stier to Charles Henry Apedaile lists both the bride and groom as "spiritualists". It is interesting that at the 1924 marriage to Hubertus, Mary Jane was a witness, and still lists her name as Stier.
Mary Jane was living in Sterling, Illinois in 1958, her spouse listed as E.K. Carpenter.
This research has been very interesting.
Thank you again for the information you provided, and my wife Cindi and I wish you all the best in 2015.
John

Thought I would share this with you all.

Candis