Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

replies to review requests don't identify posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 May 2011 21:36

I request review of posts when they contain

- egregious privacy violations
or
- egregious personal attacks

I have reported a number of the former in the last week, and none of the latter.

I keep getting replies that look like this:

"Thanks for reporting this post to us. We have taken a look at it and have decided that it can remain on our message boards."

How nice.

And WHAT POST might this be talking about?

Numbers are assigned to abuse reports when they are submitted.

Replies to reports, under the old system, quoted the number.

I fail to see the point in eliminating this, and in sending me generic emails like this. I have no clue what post/report is being referred to.

And the application of various rules around here is so inconsistent that if I disagree with a decision like that, I am going to pursue it.

How on earth do I do that with no reference number?

How could I even go back and check what post it was (I usually go to the trouble of recording the post and the report number)?

Now, the reverse is also true.

I have had replies saying

"You recently requested a message board response added by [john smith] for review giving the reason Data Protection .
After considering your request we believe the content to be unacceptable and outside of the terms and conditions and message board guidelines of the site. This content has therefore been removed.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

I should not be getting the individual's full name in this case (although I assume it's because the individual has failed to conceal it in their account details -- as few new members, and virtually no old members, have any idea how to do or why to do it).