Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do your relatives know your password for GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 May 2011 22:55

There have been a number of threads on this and other boards re non reply to pms, and how this might be rectified

There have been several suggestions, including automatic log-out if someone has not been on GR for a certain length of time.

However, one of the major reasons for non-reply is often that the member has died , is very ill, or for some reason not using the site. But he/she is still listed as a member

.............. and the reason for this might be that relatives do not know about this (and other) sites, and do not know passwords etc.

HAVE YOU TOLD YOUR RELATIVES THE SITE NAMES AND PASSWORDS YOU USE FOR EVERY SITE YOU USE?

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 14 May 2011 23:05

I have a document on the computer called passwords :-)

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 14 May 2011 23:06

I haven't even though I know my late cousins tree is on this site and will most probably receiving hits.

Doesn't giving your log in details to another person contravene site rules, not just this site but others too? :S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 May 2011 23:13

TootyFruity

I'm not advocating giving my log-in details to someone to enable them to use the sites, but to REMOVE me from the sites.

I have a little notebook near the computer, and that contains all the site names and passwords I've used for every site that I've joined. Thta's mainly because I can never remember such information

OH knows that this notebook is there, and that if anything happens to me, he is to get it and use the information to remove me from those sites.

Similarly, he is going to give me the information for his sites.

Otherwise, my contact information will remain on sites long after I am dead and buried, or incapacitated.

Plus ........................ what about the sites that do automatic deductions from CC's for renewals?

sylvia

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 14 May 2011 23:24

Sorry I misunderstood.

I think it's a good idea and will get a little book and keep a note.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 May 2011 23:55

I need to have one of those little notebooks, Sylvia. I did get all paranoid when I had surgery a couple of years ago and write such stuff down and stick it in my purse. I only knew that No.1 had read it when he shouldn't have when we met up with somebody from another internet forum some time later, and that person asked me what my username that he knew me by meant, and No.1 said yeah, what does it mean? ... and No.1 wasn't supposed to know what it was. Busted.

Should read the T&Cs, but in my opinion, my estate would own my account here, including my password, and everything of mine on here would then be my heirs'. I'd actually hope that somebody would use it, at least to let you all know I'd pontificated my last pontification!

jax

jax Report 15 May 2011 00:10

They cannot take money from your account after you have died sylv. account should be blocked until after probate or whatever.

I used to deal with this 20 - 30 years ago and I cannot recall what it is called now :-)

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 May 2011 00:22

jax

Maybe I used the wrong word

I'm not talking about automatic deducations from bank account ......... but automatic charging to credit card.

some of my subs are paid from the joint card that I have with OH ......... and that means he would have to remember to cancel that card.

I do not like automatic charging, I want that extra bit of control. But i discovered last week that ancestry doesn't seem to want to have anything but automatic charging for continuing members.

and I will not have automatic deductions from my bank account for any kind of subscription.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 May 2011 00:27

jax

they would only block the bank account over here if it was in my name only. But not if it was a joint account, as that would be needed for the daily living expenses of the survivor

I think I'm correct in saying that

I know that 30 years ago, we "willed" our daughter to OH's sister in the event of our deaths .................... "willing" as against making D the guardian allowed her access to any moneys that we had in bank accounts during the period between death and granting of probate for the support of J, who was our survivor.

sylvia

jax

jax Report 15 May 2011 00:28

What I remember about it is if it is a joint account it is then closed and a new one opened for the living account holder.

It was all manual in those days but I would think it is all automatic now.

But if you have cards all over the place I dont know

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 May 2011 00:30

Janey

My next "words" to OH will be for him to contact certain people, let them know, and ask them to post the information on a particular site.

I do have a home email address for at least one person on each of the "major" sites I go on ............... and that is what I will give him.

I'm still working up to this though :)))

sylvia