Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"My threads" -- no new users know what it is

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 May 2011 20:03

It would be an exaggeration to say that not a single new user knows what this facility is.

I was very fortunate myself -- in the very first thread I posted in on this site, someone explained it. I don't know how long it would have taken me to find it. (The discussion board I am most used to has a button up top called the equivalent of "My GR" where you find your recent threads and PMs.)

I spend a lot of time explaining this in threads and PMs, as does Cynthia, of course.

I just did in the thread on this board by Joan about access to 1901 records -- and it was new to her. She'd been wondering where a post she'd added to another thread about the same subject went.

Could text be added under the "My threads" link to say

"Click here to see all discussion threads you have started or posted in."

?

I know, most of the new users still wouldn't see it or pay attention.

But those who look around even a tiny bit might notice it then.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2011 20:16

Good idea, Janey!

I think we all have had to explain this to "newbies"

sylvia

doun88

doun88 Report 1 Jun 2011 04:14

Ok here are a couple of suggestions, Why not have area Pages and Surname pages, suppose someone is researching in Idaho, for people, under a usa page would find others researching in that area

Surname Pages by alphabetical letters, so "S" looking for other Smith researchers could meet there

from my own experience, I just don't have time to look at every message

regards Malcolm :-D :-S ;-)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 1 Jun 2011 04:25

doun88, that doesn't actually have anything to do with the subject of this thread. ;)

Maybe look through the threads on the Suggestions board and see whether someone has suggested this, and if not, start your own thread -- "Add topic" on the main Suggestions board page.

FYI, there used to be surname boards, until very recently. They caused problems of their own ...

But please take that suggestion to another thread, thanks!