Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Search - Mothers Maiden Name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 4 Jun 2011 14:19

I think it would be a great idea if the site added the option in the BIRTH search for you to input the MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME, it would be a lot quicker to find the correct documentation

jax

jax Report 4 Jun 2011 14:41

You can on freebmd but only after 1911 as they are not indexed before then

Timothy

Timothy Report 6 Jun 2011 01:37

What's freebmd?

jax

jax Report 6 Jun 2011 02:10

This is the link

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Where you can search birth marriages and deaths from 1837 to approx 1950 in England and Wales

Free and easy to use

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Jun 2011 02:25

I just replied to a similar question on Genealogy Chat.

On both FreeBMD and Ancestry, births 1911 onward can be searched by mother's surname alone. (Just as marriages can be searched by spouse's surname alone, or, at FreeBMD, any combination of both spouses' given names and surnames).

Can births at this site 1911 onward actually not be searched by mother's surname, even in combination with the other info?

That's pretty chintzy in terms of value for money, especially when people are using credits and have to spend them to look at the record and find out there is no match on mother's surname, when that info is readily available and should be indexed.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Jun 2011 08:38

Hi Jacqueline,

There are quite often messages about what GR do and do not have on their records on here. I wouldn't know because, like many other regulars on here, I don't use GR for searching, but have seen comments that they don't actually hold any records themselves but simply direct you to other sites? Freebmd is very good and is being added to at frequent intervals.

Ashley, welcome to the boards. There are many free sites available to help you in your research. You can see some helpful tips on Genealogy Chat and the Help Clinic (above left) has guidelines re how to post queries. If you get stuck, put your query on the G.Chat board and someone will come to your rescue.

There are many helpful members on here who can join you in breaking down any family history brickwalls you may have. Happy researching.

:-D

Now Janey, I will look in later to see if your post has remained on here or disappeared in a puff of blue smoke ;-)

Cx

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Jul 2011 10:36

thanks