Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mother's maiden name in birth searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jun 2011 13:55

Hello

Please can we have the mother's maiden name as a search field when using the indexed birth records?

Yes, I know this is only available after 1912, but it would make trawling through births so much easier - when you have a common surname, and only know the rough dob's and birthplace, then at present it's a right PITA clicking every entry returned and checking the maiden name!

Should be possible now you have the data to index this as well ... and then give us a field on the form ...

Thanks

Rob

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jun 2011 15:29

Hi PigletsPal,

Yes I know this, but many records have not been transcribed and the GR ones are much more complete, so not finding a record doesn't tell us anything ... and there are the inevitable transcription errors - I have reported many (which have been accepted and the database updated).

It would be nice to have this update to GR to help us in our research.

Pretty please.

I'm surprised people have not jumped on this to ask, yes please, I want this too!

Rob

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2011 21:53

Robert

what on earth do you mean "many records have not been transcribed (on freebmd)"?

they are 95-100% transcribed from July 1 1837 to currently about 1950, even some up to 1955.

Of course, if you are looking for more modern records ...... then the site to go to is ancestry.

ancestry uses freebmd transcriptions from 1837 to 1915, then began transcribing their own

I would never dream of using GR for bmds over freebmd or ancestry.

GR has not transcribed any of its records ............ they've just accessed other sites!

sylvia

Robert

Robert Report 12 Jun 2011 11:49

Thanks for the heads up Sylvia. My "impression" was that many are not there as I have found records on GR which are not on Free BMD.

The recent ones do interest me too - so where does GR get its recent BMD's from?

Looks like I may have to jump ship next time round ...

Thanks

Rob

Robert

Robert Report 13 Jun 2011 20:23

At present I have Gold membership - which gives me access to thre records and is quite cheap, so long as I keep paying. Once I stop I have to buy a more expensive deal.

Mind you, I can get 25% off Ancestry with my National Trust membership - so maybe this would be a good bet - which plan is the most useful?

Rob

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2011 01:20

Robert

as PigletsPal says, most of the helpers would recommend only having Standard membership

The choice between ancestry and Findmypast is a very personal one

I would not be without ancestry, others feel the same about fmp.

You can actually take out a 2 week free trial on both ancestry and fmp .................... and test run to see which one suits you.

If you do that, do please make sure that you let them know at no later than day 10 if you do NOT wish to continue with a membership, or you may find your card charged.

Both sites offer far more records than GR

You may also want to check out buying FamilyTreePlanner from, I think, Asda .............. sometimes they have offers of 6 months free with ancestry

At least, that is what I have read on here ............ we don't get such offers over here!

sylvia

Robert

Robert Report 16 Jun 2011 16:23

Thanks, yes the Platinum version for £40 gives 6 month free ancestry. The de-luxe version at £28 gives 3 months free. Looks like a good deal to me.

I use MyHeritage software on my PC which does the import from MyHeritage trees down to my database - seems like FamilyTreeMaker does the same from Ancestry - hooks you in though - but it is incredibly useful when you do find a fragment of tree which is usefull, or there's additional info on a preson you have in your tree. saves all that typing in again etc etc ...

Mind you, this is also a very easy way to get wrong information, and also propagate it as well. Also, I know from experience, that some people put deliberate errors (dob's, marriages, even children) into their tree so they know when someone has taken it verbatum. Sad people, but, live and let l
live I say,

Rob