Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SEND MESSAGE button and new users

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Jun 2011 15:12

In spite of what it says at the bottom of my posts (see below!) I am still getting PM after PM from new users about information and questions posted in their threads.

This is maddening for helpers.

We can ignore the PMs -- which it is tempting to do when half of them don't even give a surname and the name of the sender may not be the same as their boardname and the PM may come days or months after the post was added.

We can dredge up the thread somehow, if we remember what it was, i.e. if it was quite recent, copy the poster's info or question into it, and reply.

We can reply to the PM and ask the person to please post the info/question in the thread. I find that most of the time they don't.

In a long thread, the "Add reply" box at the bottom is not visible as the poster reads through the thread.

>>> What seems to be happening is that they are clicking on SEND MESSAGE to reply to each post in a thread individually, because that is what they see when they read each post. What this does is send a private message, of course.

How about two buttons beside a post?

ADD REPLY

or whatever arrangement can be made.

This has driven us "helpers" around the bend for years.

Of course, getting the posting instructions back up on the page users see when they start a thread *may* help, but they'll probably have forgotten by the time they go to reply to replies ...