Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Misplaced town names.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MandM

MandM Report 15 Jun 2011 23:09

I'm not sure if this has already been posted before, but as I can't find it, I will proceed.

Perhaps there could be some kind of cross checking facility with regard to place names that appear when you look at the map, when used in conjunction with the names that appear on the censuses. Many a time I have gone from the list of names to the map and found that a family are half way over the other side of the country due to the place that they were residing sharing its name with another village/town that shares the same name. As you can imagine, this can be incredibly frustrating when looking for a family that you know resided in the north east but who have been shown as being in the south west (particularly if you don't realise that there may be another town that shares the same name as the one that you are looking for).

A solution to this might be if the places were double, or triple, checked by different people who are able to distinguish between the places being in different counties, ie. there are a plethora of places called Pilton, ranging from one in Edinburgh, down to one in Devon, but most of the time it will be seen as only existing in Somerset. If someone saw that a family that was being listed as being in Pilton, Somerset but was being shown, on the map, as being in Pilton, Rutland, then they would be able to move the said family.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if they think that this would be a good, or bad, idea?

MandM

MandM Report 17 Jun 2011 19:52

nudge

MandM

MandM Report 3 Aug 2011 09:20

nudge

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Aug 2011 20:09

This topic has been been raised before!

edited for clarity, 20:10, Aug 3 2011

sylvia