Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tick box default on contact messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 14 Jul 2011 00:24

When you contact another member, the tick box at the bottom of the message by default allows the other person access to your tree. It's very easy to forget to untick the box if you don't want a new contact to view your tree until you've established a valid link and feel comfortable that they are genuine.

I'd like to see the default changed so that you consciously have to tick the box to allow the other person access.

(I hope this topic hasn't already been covered. I did have a browse and couldn't see any similar threads).

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jul 2011 01:00

That's a very good point Sonya and one I hope GR will address.

When I first joined this site in 2003 the tick box worked the other way round and you had to consciously tick the box to give access. This was changed and changed again quite a few times during updates of the site and always caused controversy.

It would be much better the other way round.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Jul 2011 03:02

Yes, yes, Sonya, I agree 100%. I have forgotten to untick that box many times and have had to scramble to stop access.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Jul 2011 07:57

I agree ...but.... GR actually want you to share your tree which is why the default ended up as it is.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Jul 2011 10:04

I'm sure you're right IGP and I have no problem with sharing my tree - just not at the initial contact stage. I like to be sure the contact does in fact have a connection to the family first.

Kath. x

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2011 12:21

It is not always family that you are contacting it could be a long lost friend or some cases it is someone trying to find their birth family....do they want their tree given out to would be half sibling who knows nothing about them until he/she finds their mother/father in the newley acquired tree

jax

Sonya

Sonya Report 15 Jul 2011 02:21

I, too, have no problem sharing my tree, but only once I have established that there is actually a connection, not with all and sundry.

Kathleen, thanks for the reminder. I thought the tick box used to be the other way round but couldn't remember for sure. It was much better that way round, besides which, if people are interested, they'll request to view your tree anyway.

What about it GR? :-)