Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linked Messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 23 Aug 2011 02:31

G'day Team , Could messages and replys be linked to form a conversation, its very anoying to have to go back and forth through recieved and sent to see what was said and done in a particular "conversation"
Thanks Graham

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Aug 2011 15:16

How do you mean Graham?

You can easily have a conversation on the threads.

If you are talking about your Inbox and Sent messages, they are only used as personal mail between two people. If you click on the person's name you are in contact with in this section, you can see the list of corresondence there has been. When replying to a message this way, the pm you received shows up underneath where you are typing so that you can see what is said.

Cx.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2011 18:51

I think what Graham means is that he would like all private messages between two members to be together in a similar fashion to a thread - even if they are sent over a long period (so you don't have to search through your "in box" or "sent items" to find what you have said to someone a few weeks/months ago.

I think it would be a good idea but I have no idea if it is even possible.

Kath. x

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Aug 2011 19:17

It's probably possible but, like you Kath, no idea how.

Mind you, I find it easy enough to check past correspondence with someone through pm's because they come out in a list. Funnily enough, I was doing just that this morning and was surprised at how often this person and I had been exchanging messages.

Cx

jax

jax Report 24 Aug 2011 19:53

probably the same way as private messages on face book are linked? which can be a pain if it is a different conversation I find

jax

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Aug 2011 21:15

I assumed that what is meant is when you have had a series of PMs back and forth with a person, perhaps for research you then have to flick back and forth between 'received' and 'sent' to read through again...whereas if they could be linked you would see it all in one 'conversation' ..like this

Rec'...Are you connected to Rambling Rose?"

Sent " yes I am she is my second cousin's sister"

Rec' " thank you , would you like to have some photo's?"

etc

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2011 23:39

I assumed the same as you Rose, but we'll never know what Graham meant if he doesn't return.

It's not so bad if you only have a few pages of messages but I have 130 pages of sent messages and 120 pages of received messages so it can take a while if I want to find something from ages ago.

Kath. x