Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RogerL

RogerL Report 16 Apr 2012 18:46

I added 18 new members to my tree (which I copied from someone else's tree) and all I have had is a statement saying that I have no hot matches and I should add more members to my tree. The the hot match system is obviously not fit for purpose. Can anyone tell me when it is likely to work correctly please.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Apr 2012 11:21

Well I had some this morning with surnames beginning with N. So things are improving.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Apr 2012 11:24

sheesh - are GR playing Simon Says? :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Apr 2012 19:58

A page full receive this week - all sensible matches but sadly only for minor twigs on my tree.

Mark

Mark Report 18 Apr 2012 22:20

Deleted my tree back in January and uploaded a new one with 650+ names. Not one single hot match in 3 months. I somehow don't believe "Don’t worry - Genes Reunited looks for new Hot Matches every 14 days".

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Apr 2012 12:50

I'm not too bothered that I don't get Hot Matches, because most of what I was given was for the same named people born in another country.... and I had to go through pages and pages of useless info & delete it (why do I still have pages of discarded hotmatches? I can't get rid of them or look at them, the dreaded error message appears!)

But! I am a bit bewildered by the fact that I have had ONE hot match this year. Not one page, but one name.

I just checked............ 19,099 names on my tree (but some of them are there multiple times)............... a lot of that on my tree......... three brothers marry three sisters...and their sister marries one of the sisters' brothers....etc etc ... can be confusing, especially when Smiths marry Smiths.........

I'd take the advice and add more names.......... if I could find them. :-D

I KNOW the system isn't working properly, but it works for some........

Curiouser & Curiouser :-D

Barbara

Barbara Report 19 Apr 2012 14:35

I can't even access my hot matches and I can't remember the last time I was sent any!
What used to be a fairly regular occurrence is now a non-existant event. A case of not-so-hot services.

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 19 Apr 2012 14:59

Hi everyone, we are running the Hot Matches again so you should all receive some over the coming weeks if you have opted in for them. We are matching the name, year of birth and place of birth, so you should hopefully find that they are generally more accurate. We have also filtered out matches with the more common surnames. So you shouldn't be receiving matches for names like Smith and Jones.

We are sorry that many of you have waited for so long for them. However, we hope that when you do get your new matches you uncover some new relatives.

Estelle

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Apr 2012 12:48

'Opted In'

What is this all about?

Thought the Hot Matches was a standard part of membership?

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Apr 2012 12:54

perhaps what is meant is that some have already 'opted out' and they won't receive them?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Apr 2012 13:46

It was always my understanding that all members including 'Free' members would potentially get HotMatches. The 'Opt out' within 'My account' refers to whether or not you wish to receive an email telling you there are new ones.

Perhaps Estelle would kindly clarify?

Estelle

Estelle Report 20 Apr 2012 13:49

Yes, that's correct. If you go to My Account under the section for email preferences you can choose which ones you'd like to receive from us. If you have any problems you can always contact our support team who can make changes for you.

Kense

Kense Report 27 Apr 2012 07:56

I see that the Hot Matches FAQ (Help > FAQs > Hot Matches - UPDATED) has been updated fairly recently and says that 50 names are taken randomly from your tree and then compared. As GR has said Smith and Jones are excluded).

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2012 08:13

If middle names were matched...........we'd get reasonably accurate matches :-D

Is that too complicated for the GR system?

I have loads of Smiths, many of them wth unusual middle names.

PLEASE don't tell me not everyone has a middle name - I already know that.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Apr 2012 04:34

wowee - got a notice from GR - I have 2 HotMatches :-D

Checked them out........... two separate matches, for the same person

James Grant born 0 Scotland

I always use the zero if I have no idea of when the person was born, because the GR system will NOT allow the space to be left blank.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE GR - DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS - IT'S RIDICULOUS