Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 6 May 2012 23:39

can anyone please help?! i can find names on the 1911 census but cant find any birth records that match so i have hit a brick wall. any suggestions please. thanks dawn :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2012 23:48

Barry

This isn't really the best place to post your request. Try reposting on "Find Ancestors" board and give the names of the people you are looking for.

Kath. x

Kense

Kense Report 7 May 2012 08:16

Barry, if you are trying to match the birthplace given in the census with the places given in freeBMD (or whatever index you are searching through) you need to be aware that it is the registration district that is given in in the GRO index.

The registration district usually includes many smaller towns and parishes and it is those places that are usually quoted in the census not the registration district.

Assuming you are looking in freeBMD for suitable matches, search for people with that name born in the given county within a year or two of the expected time then if there are any results click on the district. This will give you details of the parishes that form the district and when changes were made to the registration district. You can then see if there are any matches.

I assume you want to do your own research, if so then ask for tips on the "Genealogy Chat" board. If you are really stuck then do what Kath says and ask on the "Find Ancestors" board.