Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Incorrect transcriptions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 25 Aug 2013 20:42

Would be good to see a 'let us know of mistakes' link.
May never have found this record on this site had I not been able to just put first name and birth year and place in SEARCH.
1861 census has a Martha SHADLEY born 1854 (should read STRUDLEY and others in the family/household) and has birth place as Cookham in DEVON (should read Cookham DEAN, Berkshire).

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Aug 2013 07:05

Genes don´t hold their own records.
They are taken from other sites & therefore Genes are unable to make amendments to them.
Most sites who hold their own records have a facility for submitting amendments.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Aug 2013 11:51

When these transcriptions are done, the transcribers are told to type what they see not what they know, and many are done either overseas or by optical readers, hence the truly awful and funny names that come up. On one site the whole of St. Lukes (London) is listed as St. Lakes...

Also unless the original can clearly be seen to be STRUDLEY, then submitting an amendment will not get it changed.

I have submittied many amendments to:

Ancestry - they do not often amend, but add your alternative in brackets (I think that in some glaringly obvious cases the amendments are made)

FindmyPast - they will change their records if they agree with your amendment. (Genes/FMP share records, both owned by Brightsolid)

FreedBMD - for this you have to have seen the original entry (normally I use Ancestry) and you do have to tick a box to confirm this and they update their records at regular intervals. But you can also add a Postem to their records
Postems are really handy, if you are looking at a record on FreeBMD and there is a Yellow enveloped highlighted next to the entry, that means that someone has added some extra info. So you might find on a Birth, the DOB & Parents Names have been added from a Birth Certificate. Many people now take the time when they get certificates to add the info as a postem to help others.

Hope this helps :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Aug 2013 06:10

I've submitted many amendments to Scotland's People.

Including my own name!

I had 1 point left........ so searched for myself........ they left a letter out of my middle name (yes, it matters, it's the only vowel).

They said thankyou, it will be changed in due course. That was over 7 years ago. They still haven't amended it. :-(

They haven't changed my great-aunt Lavinia yet either..... she was transcribed as Javinie :-(

:-|

I did some census transcribing for FreeC*n once, and won't do it again. The rules are silly. Transcribe what is there........ which means Jas for James, Danl for Daniel, Margt for Margaret etc etc. Who do you search for Jas or James? It makes no sense to me.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Aug 2013 11:15

Jas - James etc. are/were standard shortened versions of these names.

I know when searching certain names if I cannot find them I use the wild card

So if I cannot find James Anysurname - then I will try Ja* Anysurname and then up will pop my James listed as Jas. In my family it is mainly Hy for Henry & Geo for George.

Helen

Helen Report 28 Aug 2013 13:33

Thank you everyone for your replies. It has been very useful

To me the mistakes are obvious - but to another???
The surname seems clear to me and if the census is taken in Cookham Dean, why would they have been born in Cookham, Devon?

Maybe I can locate all those people in my tree that 'disappeared' on a census!
This is going to take a lot longer than I thought.
Here goes for Hy, Jas, Geo - thought that would automatically come up if you ticked name 'variants'
:-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Aug 2013 18:18

"Genes don´t hold their own records. They are taken from other sites & therefore Genes are unable to make amendments to them."

This statement is incorrect.

Genes staff have stated on more than one occasion that GR host their own records, albeit originally sourced from associate partners.

The issue is that at present, GR do not have an on-line facility to report transcription errors. However, GR support staff have previously stated that you are able to report errors by email to the support team and they will be investigated and actioned as necessary.

Helen

Helen Report 29 Aug 2013 09:57

Ah ha...thanks for that 'InspectorGreenPen'.

I may just try that then :-)
It may be helpful to another researching the same person/family to know where they were.

Perhaps - I may to GR suggest an 'on-line facility' - you never know ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Aug 2013 14:12

'Host' - to me that reads as they show them on behalf of someone else......

wisechild

wisechild Report 29 Aug 2013 15:04

It has also been said on many occasions that Genes do not hold their own records. They are taken from other sites.
It seems to be the main reason why many Genes members use other sites for their research.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2013 19:05

Helen

with a name like Strudley, you should always consider searching on ANY site for S*ley or S*dley

I have Schofield in my tree, and have found that using S*field is essential

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2013 19:12

AND .............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1324153

Community Advisor Report 3 Sep 2013 10:03

3rd September 2013 – A round-up of the latest suggestions from the Suggestions Board:

• Incorrect transcriptions – can we have a button to report
- Unfortunately we don’t have this button at the moment, it is certainly something we would like to have but there are other tasks that will take priority first. In the meantime you can contact our support team who will pass the transcription changes onto our technical team to change.

Natasha

---------------

:-D :-D

Helen

Helen Report 9 Sep 2013 20:08

Many thanks for that SC. Even though low priority - looks promising. In the meantime.....
Technical Team here we come!!!