Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help page

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AGJB

AGJB Report 22 Feb 2014 14:42

How about a "Help" icon on the tree page with a FAQs section included.
Also how about giving us the ability to go to the Home page from our tree page. This does not seem to be possible at present
Thanks,
Allan Burrow

Graham

Graham Report 24 Feb 2014 10:17

The tree page normally opens in a different tab. To get back to the home page you only have to close that tab.
There is a help page. You'll find it near the bottom of the list under Community.

AGJB

AGJB Report 1 Mar 2014 02:25

On occasions I have opened my tree directly from an email received from GR (as per this email). By doing this it seems that if I want to get to the COMMUNITY page for example I have to close my tree to open the HOME page to get to the COMMUNITY page! Thereby losing my tree, having to open it again and having to wait for it to open. I suppose that in future I must remember to open the HOME page first.

With regard to the Help page. I have done as you said and find that there are only three headings available with specific subject matter. What happens when a query falls outside those parameters? A FAQ's section would be ideal in covering those matters that fall outside those parameters.

AGJB

AGJB Report 1 Mar 2014 04:20

I have a married couple in my tree - Matthew and Sarah.
Both have the same father but different mothers. I know the details of Sarah's mother but not Matthews'. Because of the same surname I had thought that they were cousins but it appears not to be the case.
Matthew was married twice and his first wife was, Mary died.
His second marriage was to Sarah.
On my tree the double line marriage link is missing between Sarah and Matthew but the link does show between Matthew and his first wife Mary. How can I get the marriage link between Matthew and Sarah to show on my tree?

Kense

Kense Report 1 Mar 2014 08:31

The FAQs are accessed from the HELP tab at the top of the page between ACCOUNT and your name.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Mar 2014 11:24

You don't have to close the tree page in order to open another page,

You simply open another tab/window leaving the one already "open" open

Thats why it's called WINDOWS

you can have as many windows/pages open at the same time as you want, I always have a minimum of 3 pages open at the same time and often end up with as many as 7 or 8,

The FAQ are all listed,

Click on the help tab then scroll down the page slightly and on the left of the page is the heading "Complete FAQ Listing"

Under the heading there are 10 headings listed,

Click on any of thoughs listed and each will expand to give you sub headings of all related FAQ questions that fall into the catergory you have chosen, click on the sub catergory for GR's answer to that FAQ

Roy

jax

jax Report 1 Mar 2014 11:37

I don't understand the workings of computers but......I have about 8 tabs open with the sites I use everyday....if I click on my tree then another tab opens as already mentioned.

My last laptop also had tabs, but a separate one didn't open for the tree for some reason...that was Vista...so don't know if that made a difference?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Mar 2014 13:07

Jax, I'm using Vista at the moment, You may need to Alow pop-ups from GR for it to work,

Or just hold down the Ctrl button when clicking on the tab to open your tree

Roy

jax

jax Report 1 Mar 2014 13:42

I don't have Vista now...this was a couple of years ago...but I know it didn't open a new window back then

AGJB

AGJB Report 2 Mar 2014 04:38

Thanks everyone for assisting me with the help question. It must be my age!!!
Now how about some help with my original question re Matthew and Sarah as I'm really stumped here!!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Mar 2014 16:08

AGJB, Your original question was about the Help page, as per your thread title,

This the Suggestions board is for you to add your suggestions for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited

Your Question re Matthew and Sarah would be better posted on the Genealogy Chat board

or you could contact GR directly with your query/question,

There Email is, [email protected]

Roy

jax

jax Report 2 Mar 2014 18:36

Maybe there is another thread somewhere..... Perhaps you should add to it to bring it to the top of the board...Not sure why you think it should be posted on genealogy chat though Roy...... Surely find ancestors....

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Mar 2014 22:37

Jax, Surly the Find Ancestors boad if for help in "finding ancestors" where as the genealogy chat is for discutions about all thing genealogy related,

AGJB, post 1 Mar 2014 04:20 Is asking for help with the GR tree as apposed to help in finding an ancestor,

I think the clue is in the name

Roy

jax

jax Report 3 Mar 2014 03:57

Sorry Roy had trouble with Laptop all day....until I shut it down completely and started again....grrrrr

I was using my phone and missed the post about Matthew and Sarah....that's why I said maybe there is another thread somewhere as didn't see it mentioned

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 3 Mar 2014 11:52

Hi Allan,

As members have said, the help page can be accessed here from the main site http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs. Opening two tabs allows you to keep your tree open at the same time.

Regards

Shelley