Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Indication of last activity when making contacts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 1 Nov 2014 09:48

I am finding that fewer and fewer people respond to messages sent where there are tree matches. It would be useful if GR had some way of indicating when someone's account was last active. This would give an indication of whether a reply was likely or not. Lots of messages I have sent remain unopened.
Regards, Steve

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Nov 2014 16:01

I agree - this is something that has been advocated by a number of us for some time now.

We know that the system already holds member activity history in some form or another as it is available to see for those in your contact list.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2014 17:58

and one must also remember that lots of people have left GR, have died, become incapacitated, changed their email addresses, or otherwise pay no attention to GR

There of course is nothing that anyone can do to force any member to open any message sent to them by another member

To me .............. I can see where this might be useful to people wishing to make contact with others ............... it doesn't bother me ......................

BUT there are lots more things that need correcting that do have a higher priority for me personally

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Nov 2014 13:59

They do this on Ancestry. But often states recent activity when there has been none!!

jax

jax Report 2 Nov 2014 18:56

As I do not have tree on here I don't need to try and make contact with anyone for that reason.

I did however send a message to both my dad and daughter who have both registered on here but never as a paying member..... Neither have ever opened my message.

Philippa

Philippa Report 11 Nov 2014 19:28

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only had one person not reply to a tree match so far, even if it's to say 'not my relative' and I have been so touched by the way folk have gone out of their way to provide help from their tree, even if my 'link' isn't one they are interested in following up for themselves. Must be something in the genes that makes only lovely, helpful people research family history.

It would be helpful if folk could check dates and birthplaces though - I've had some folk ask me if my grandfather was a relative of theirs - the DOB were decades out and their relative was born the other side of the world. If it says DOB 1933 in Britain, it's an unlikely match with your ancestor born in 1890 in Australia!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Nov 2014 19:39

Philippa

lovely to hear that you are having good interactions with other members.

Re the mis-matched dates and birthplaces

I wonder if that is something to do with GR's Hot Matches ..... which can be way off the mark

and if someone is not really paying attention to the detail of date or place, could lead to the attempt to match

Last month GR sent me the following Hot Match ................. I'm still confused by it

My relation
Mary Smith

Y.O.B 1779
Place of Birth: Launton, Oxfordshire
No. of Children: 4

Possible match
Elizabeth Powell

Y.O.B 1685
Place of Birth: Towcester, Northamptonshire, England
No. of Children: Find out more

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

I didn't bother checking the other 143 trees that GR said had Mary Smith, nor the other 143 trees that had Elizabeth Powell

:-D :-D

Philippa

Philippa Report 11 Nov 2014 19:47

Errr...I suppose they are both born in England...and have the letter a in their first names...oh, and they are both female...other than that, I'm not sure what the link is. :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Nov 2014 19:57

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 22 Dec 2014 15:15

Hi all,

We are working on a solution regarding unanswered messages. As stated, members contacted may no longer be active on the site. We are unable to disclose the status of other members.

Regards,

Shelley