Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McCaughey of Armoy, Co. Antrim

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Niall

Niall Report 26 Jan 2012 22:49

Hi, I'm trying to find out any info that I can on this. I know that Leonard McCaughey was born in 1839 or 1840. He is recorded as being from Armoy and his father was Thomas, a farmer of Armoy. They were Presbyterians.

Leonard started a small chain of vegetarian restaurants in Belfast, Glasgow, Dundee, Leeds, Birmingham & Dublin. He died in Belfast in 1926.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joy

Joy Report 26 Jan 2012 22:58

If no one here can help, http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/ is a useful site.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jan 2012 23:55

wonder if this is a connection?

Leonard Mccaughey
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
birth: 27 Dec 1874 Ireland
residence: 1874 Ireland
parents: Leonard Mccaughey,? Charlotte Mcclure Mccaughey

name: Leonard Mccaughey
birth date: 27 Dec 1874
birthplace: Ireland
father's name: Leonard Mccaughey
mother's name: Charlotte Mcclure Mccaughey
indexing project (batch) number: I01663-3
system origin: Ireland-EASy
source film number: 255920

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jan 2012 23:56

Leonard MCCAUGHEY Pedigree
Male
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 27 DEC 1874 Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Leonard MCCAUGHEY Family
Mother: Charlotte MCCLURE

RottenR

RottenR Report 27 Jan 2012 01:15

Perhaps tied into your McClure thread, Armoy is a small village about 4 miles east of Ballymoney.

There are McClures around Ballymoney one was the headmaster of the primary school I attended

Robert

RottenR

RottenR Report 27 Jan 2012 01:31

Also in the Griffith valuation of 1860 there are McClure's and McCaugheys around the Kilraughts and Loughguile areas (close to Ballymoney and Armoy

http://www.billmacafee.com/1860griffiths/northmidantrimgriffiths.pdf

Robert

Clover

Clover Report 27 Jan 2012 04:37

Hi Niall, if you go to http:// www.nationalarchives.ie and type Leonard McCaughey, the family are living in dublin on both census (1901 and 1911). I am sure that it is your family. On the 1911 census there are two Leonard McCaugheys. One aged about 70 years old another a baby under one years of age.
Leonard McCaughey sr. is from Antrim.
Betty.

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 11:29

Name of deceased Leonard Mccaughey
Last place of residence 27 Cornmarket
Age 86 Years
Sex
Date of death 26 December 1926
Date of burial 28 December 1926
Cemetery City Cemetery
Grave section and number Q 31
Burial type Earth Burial

Name of deceased Mr Leonard Mccaughey
Last place of residence Craigboy Donaghadee 8 Cliftonville
Age 17 Years
Sex
Date of death 18 June 1892
Date of burial 20 June 1892
Cemetery City Cemetery
Burial type Earth Burial

Name of deceased Mrs Charlotte Mccaughey
Last place of residence 59 Apsley Place
Age 48 Yrs
Sex
Date of death 1 June 1890
Date of burial 3 June 1890
Cemetery City Cemetery
Burial type Earth Burial

Name of deceased Charlotte Jamesina Abernethy
Last place of residence 27 Corn Market
Age 72 Years
Sex
Date of death 15 April 1941
Date of burial 17 April 1941
Cemetery City Cemetery
Burial type Earth Burial

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/search.asp

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 11:37

Leonard was married twice

1st to a Charlotte Abernethy 31st August 1872 Fisherwick Presbyterian church Belfast, Co Antrim

2nd Elizabeth Margaret Ryan14th March 1891 Saint Johns Laganbank Church of Ireland, Knockbreda, Belfast Co Down

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 11:45

Title : Date of Death : 1 June 1890
Surname : McCaughey Date of Grant : 1 October 1890
Forename : Charlotte Reseal Date :
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £87
No Image

Full Abstract :
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Charlotte M'Caughey late of 56 Apsley-place Belfast (Wife of Leonard M'Caughey) who died 1 June 1890 at same place were granted at Belfast to Leonard M'Caughey of 56 Apsley-place Belfast Restaurant Keeper the Husband.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Jan 2012 11:47

Morning Maura....
That will correspond with the 1901/1911 Census Dublin.....Leonard gives his place of Birth 1901 as the Co Armagh and 1911 the Co Antrim....
Eliz. Ryan as the Co Kildare. (Daughter of George Ryan and Jemima)
Cannot find the birth of a Lenore (variations) McCaughey Dublin 1900/1901..the older children of this marriage were born Belfast.

David McCaughey 31 "Hotel Manager" son of Leonard and Charlotte was living 8.8 Harcourt St. Dublin (1911)....wife Eliz. 28. b Co Kildare children Emily aged 1 b England and Leonard (infant) b Dublin.

Births Sep 1909 (>99%)

McCAUGHEY Emily Charlotte Leeds 9b 493
Corresponds with Leeds connection.....

Marriage June quarter 1907.....(England)

MCCAUGHEY David McClure Tadcaster 9c 1565
WHYTE Lizzie Margaret Tadcaster 9c 1565

Have checked Proni Wills Index ...plenty McCaughy 's but no Leo.
Edit...Maura has found Charlottes.
Checked Ulster Covenant...same as above.

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 12:10

Morning Erin,

I can only find 1 of Leonard chidlren to Elizabeth Ryan,
John Thomas 1892 Belfast urban 3

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 12:26

Leonards 1st wife was married before, her maiden names was McClure, she married a James Abernethy in 1868. That's her daughter in the grave 1941

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Jan 2012 12:30

Yes Maura...You and me both....again... (For ref)

McCaughey Elizabeth Leonora Female Daughter Prespeterian Dublin City - Cannot read - - - (Cannot Find)

McCaughey Leonard 60 Male Head of Family Prespeterian Armagh Restaurant Manager Read and write - Married -

McCaughey John Thomas 8 Male Son Prespeterian Belfast City Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
McCaughey George Ryan 7 Male Son Prespeterian Belfast City Scholar Read and write - Not Married - (Cannot find)
McCaughey William James 18 Male Son Prespeterian Belfast City Architects Apprentice Read and write - Not Married - (cannot Find)
McCaughey Elizabeth Margaret 42 Female Wife Prespeterian Co Kildare Restaurant-Superintent

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 12:36

Elizabeth Margaret Ryan father's a George

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Jan 2012 13:25

Maura...see

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1290958

Maura

Maura Report 27 Jan 2012 13:46

Have seen it Erin, hes another thread on the McClures too

Niall

Niall Report 28 Jan 2012 00:18

It's hard to know what to say, other than Thanks.

I have mixed feelings about this information; I'm very grateful for the assistance provided, but it is mixed with chagrin, as it took me months to acquire the data that you have provided in a matter of hours!

I suppose I should have had the sense to post here first,

Leonard Snr founded a small chain of vegetarian restaurants of which the first and longest-lasting, was the X.L. in Cornmarket, Belfast. It started about 1895 & finally ceased trading in 1950. Leonard himself was a vegetarian and, considering his advanced years, was an excellent advertisement for his product.

Eringobragh: Leonora married a Fearon & settled in Canada.
William James alas died in Belfast Asylum aged 29 & is buried with Leonard in Belfast City Cemetery.
George emigrated to the USA in 1923 & died in New York of a brain haemorage in 1965
John Thomas (unfortunate name!) was my grandfather and he died of a heart attack whilst running for a train in Essex in 1978.,

Niall

Niall Report 28 Jan 2012 00:23

My problem is that I'm trying to extend the line backwards. At the time of Leonard's first marriage to Charlotte McClure in 1872, his father is recorded as Thomas, a farmer from Armoy. Several death notices describe Leonard as being from Armoy. Unfortunately, although I have searched in PRONI and in the Presbyterian Historical Society, I can find no record of Thomas, or any other McCaughey in the parish of Armoy.

There is a will on file for a Thomas McCaughey, but the dates and locations do not match. Curiously, neither my Thomas, nor the Wills Thomas, who was a substantial farmer with four farms, appear in Griffiths.

Maura

Maura Report 28 Jan 2012 16:33

PRONI, do not hold all church records in some cases they only have a certain time frame. Have you tried contacting Armoy Presbyterian Church itself.

http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/armoy.html