Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hammersley/Bradshaw

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cane

cane Report 30 Jan 2019 14:41

Hi
I hope you are all keeping well wrapped up in this weather :)
Please could I ask for a look-up on the 1939 register for : Gladys Bradshaw (nee Hammersley).Walter Bradshaw and their two Sons : Colin Bradshaw born September Quarter 1925 in Salford and Joseph Bradshaw born September 1924 in Salford...
Possible death for Gladys: June Quarter of 1936 in Barton..So she may not be on the 1939 register
Gladys & Walters marriage :March Quarter 1924 in Salford
Thanks you x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 15:06

Bradshaw Household (4 People)
2 Royston Road , Stretford M.B., Lancashire, England

Walter Bradshaw 04 Apr 1902 Male Operator Gluers Factory Married 290 1
Ann Bradshaw 05 Nov 1901 Female Cap Machinist Married 290 2
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Colin Bradshaw 29 Jun 1925 Male Engineer Apprentice Single 290 4

Obviously, Colin died before they stopped updating 1939

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 15:07

First name(s) COLIN
Last name BRADSHAW
Gender Male
Birth day 29
Birth month 6
Birth year 1925
Age -
Death quarter 3
Death year 1969
District Manchester
County Lancashire
Volume 10E
Page 571
Country England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 15:09

Marriages Mar 1937 (>99%)

Bradshaw Walter Newman Salford 8d 609 S
Newman Ann Bradshaw Salford 8d 609

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 15:10

First name(s) COLIN
Last name BRADSHAW
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1955
Registration month -
MarriageFinder ™

COLIN BRADSHAW married

Margaret P Francis

Spouse's last name Francis
District Manchester
District number -
County Lancashire
Country England

cane

cane Report 30 Jan 2019 15:11

Thanks so much Erica...You're a star :-)

cane

cane Report 30 Jan 2019 15:46

Any-one with Ancestry, please could you look up death details for Margaret P Bradshaw....Many , Many thanks in advance x
possibly Manchester or Salford x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Jan 2019 15:54

When was she born?
What does the P stand for?

There are lots of deaths of women named Margaret Bradshaw in Lancashire as well as elsewhere - but none with middle initial P, as far as I can see.

Assuming she's about the same age as Colin, she may well be alive.

EDIT:

If she was born in Manchester, then there's a 1937 birth which looks likely.

If that's her, I don't see a likely death. Of course, she may have died in just the last few years, in which case it won't be online yet.

Or she may have remarried.
A Margaret P Bradshaw married in Southampton in 1973.

EDIT AGAIN:
No, that's not her re-marriage.
There are two births in 1973 and 1974 in Southampton and Bournemouth, with mms Bradshaw.

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Jan 2019 17:40

A look at the probate record site - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

shows possible probate records from 2006 to 2018 in various parts of the country. Not knowing if she has died or where, it could be one of them - or not! Registry used does not necessarily indicate area the person lived.

Make sure to click on the right date period and use the Advanced search so you can input first name (only possible 1996 - present)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 17:59

Can’t possibly look for a death without knowing when she was born

Her age when she married will be on the marriage cert

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2019 19:04

She may well be on the ER, so discretion is needed

Maddie

Maddie Report 30 Jan 2019 19:21

there is a margaret p born 1938 in manchester, married 1959 in manchester

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Jan 2019 20:02

There are three births with the surname of that 1959 bridegroom, and with mms Bradshaw, 1959, 61, and 64, in Manchester and Peterborough.

If they belong to that couple, then that Margaret isn't Margaret P Francis.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Jan 2019 20:06

The Margaret P Francis who was born 1937 in Manchester is probably the right person.

But there's no obvious record of her after 1955, so as already said, she may well still be alive.

Joseph

Joseph Report 8 Jul 2019 18:02

I have just joined Genes Re United. I am Joseph Bradshaw the son of Colin Bradshaw and the Grandson of Walter Bradshaw and Gladys Hammersley. I have just been reading this thread. I am a little shocked as it seems to read that my Dad was married to a Margaret Francis in 1955. This is news to me and the first I have heard of it. Could you please clarify your interest and connection with the Bradshaws. Obviously I am very curious. My only contact with the Bradshaws following Colins death in 1969 was Colins first cousin Peter Bradshaw. He was Walters nephew. He passed away last January and I was with him to near the end. He never mentioned anything like this.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Many

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2019 18:28

Joseph, Although Cane is a regular on the boards, she may not notice your post here, so it may be an idea to click on her name and send a private message?

Dea

Dea Report 8 Jul 2019 20:04

Hi Joseph - you do sound a little shocked and somewhat overwhelmed by what you have 'fallen into' on here !!!

Take things a little slowly and absorb all you can find on here - then ask a few questions.................

Don;t be put off - you are very welcome here on the boards................

Dea x

Joseph

Joseph Report 8 Jul 2019 21:54

Thank you. Firstly. What is everyone's connection to my Dad and Grand parents.
Secondly. My Dad Colin was married to my Mum in 1958. I was 10 when my Dad died of a heart attack while mowing the lawn on 6th July 1969. I found his body.
My Mum and I were estranged from my Grandad and Step Grandmother almost immediately after my Dads death. I had no contact with the Bradshaw family until my Dads cousin Peter tracked me down in 2009. After which we had regular contact until his death earlier this year at the age of 87.
I haven't a clue how to research family. Are you sure it is the same Colin who married this woman in 1955? Any help or information would e very welcome.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2019 22:11

Hello Joseph, other than 'Cane' who posted the query those who contribute here are unconnected, we are just fellow site members who try and help with queries if we can.

While it does 'appear' to be the same Colin, it's always a possibility that it isn't, the best way of being certain is to buy the marriage certificate, which will give Colin's father's name. You can order certificates online at the https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

On the face of it it does seem possible that Colin, if it is the same one, was married to Margaret in 1955, but as there is a possible remarriage for her in 1958 it could be that the marriage was a very brief one. EDIT: it looks unlikely that the possible second marriage found is hers, so may well be an entirely different lady.

I'm sure Cane will reply soon. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jul 2019 22:18

None of us (except possibly Cane - we don't know) have any connection to your family.
We are just volunteers who enjoy helping other people with their family history problems, brick walls,etc. It's the thrill of the detective work which has us hooked!

Unless Cane has knowledge which she hasn't shared with us on her thread, the only way to know for sure if the Colin who married Margaret was your father or some other Colin Bradshaw, is to buy a copy of the marriage certificate.
You can do that online at this site:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You have to register (free), and then you can order a copy (£11) quoting the reference numbers and other details which you can find here:
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Select Marriages, then enter the surnames Bradshaw and Francis, and date range 1955-1955.
No need in this case to select any district or county name - it's the only marriage which will come up.

I am also sending you a personal message with some other information - look out for an email from GR - it might go into your junk mail.