Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 closed entry

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 18 Mar 2022 20:58

I have found parents at correct address on 1939 register with 2 closed entries. I know they had their first child in 1937 he died in 1997. The mother is rumoured to have had a child before the marriage in 1936. Are the closed entries in age order if there is 2 in succession in a household? Assuming that 1 of the closed entries is the child born in 1937 who died in 1997 why is it closed? Is there anyway of getting anymore info from a closed entry?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Mar 2022 21:10

It was agreed when the 1939 register was released those born after 1915 would not be included as they were likely to be still living,,,,,,,,hence the closed rectords,, however where notice has been found to the deaths of these persons of closed records many will be found as open records,,,,,,,,,,
The 1939 register was used in form when the NHS was formed in 1948.

You can identify the closed records by following the instructions on Findmypast site where they will require proof of death by way of death certificate image,,,,,,,,

some closed records may not be opened for those who left the UK.

usually I have found many families were listed by age,,oldest first and so ..on,but cant be taken as a fact.....

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2022 21:22

1997 death is probably too late to have been picked up. If you wish to have the record opened, you can apply to do so, if you provide a copy of the death cert and pay a fee

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Mar 2022 22:17

One of the closed records seems very likely to be the child born in 1937, and as described, you can apply to have it opened if you supply the death cert.

Info here:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register/1939-register-getting-started

and here:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PaidSearch/FOI1939Register

But obviously, if you don't know the "rumoured" child's name, nor whether or not he/she has died, you can't have that record opened.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Mar 2022 22:56

My brother born in 1934 is a closed record because he died in Spain in2001

His death wasn’t registered at the British embassy so no way for me to get a death cert to request open

Sister born 1931 and died in 2002 is open even though no family requested it

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2022 23:07

Have you done anything about trying to find the rumoured birth?

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Mar 2022 00:56

Thanks for the info, just one question. If I produce the death cert to get A record opened, do I have to specify which one of the two closed records I think is him?
I don't have much info about the rumoured birth another than between 1928 and 1932. The mother was in yorkshire in 1921 and married in Essex in 1936.
Trying to help a lady that contacted me with a DNA match with my daughter ( 0.4%) She only did the DNA test to try and find her rumoured elder half brother.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2022 09:01

As you know the mother’s name, look for illegitimate births on freebmd

BUT……is it likely that the child would have been taken on by the woman’s husband?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Mar 2022 10:21

Looking briefly at the form you have to fill in, it doesn't look as if you have to specify which closed record you think it is.

You need the person's name and the address.

Have a look at the form to see what info is needed - either of the links I posted.

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Mar 2022 15:36

Thank you for the info as regards the form. I will relay the information to the lady and help her get one of the closed entries opened , I know she has the information required to do that. I have searched BMD for her potential missing sibling but with a common surnames and no clear area it's impossible. I think getting one of the closed records opened is the only next step for her. Thank you

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Mar 2022 18:22

They will only open the closed record for the matched named person which the death certificate applies to,!

. any more closed records will **stay closed **unless proof of death can be supplied...

Nicola

Nicola Report 20 Mar 2022 23:06

Thank you Kay, I understand that it is only possible to potentially get one closed record opened with her brothers death cert. No hope of finding out if the other closed record is the rumoured unknown child.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2022 08:51

She can keep checking every now and then, in case the record is opened if/when the person's death is picked up.

A child born in 1936 is very likely still living.

If the rumoured 1936 child was brought up by the mother and stepfather, then unless your contact is very much younger than her 1937 brother, I would have thought she would remember another child in the family .
If she doesn't, then either the closed record isn't that child, or else the child was maybe adopted or otherwise farmed out, after Sept 1939 but before your contact's childhood memories began.

EDIT:

Following your next post, on 22 March, I now see that I misread your opening post.
It was the parents' marriage which was in 1936, and not the child's birth.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2022 10:25

Argyll

Oh I hope so!

I was born in 1937 and still fighting to be here lol

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2022 10:47

I've changed "possibly" to "likely", Shirley!

Nicola

Nicola Report 22 Mar 2022 20:51

The lady I am trying to help was born in 1944 and the rumoured child was born before her parents marriage in 1936, she thinks between 1928 - 1932. I did ask if she had any memory of the elder siblings or any old photos that might include an extra child but she doesn't remember anything, just told by a relative some years ago. She doesn't want to pursue it any further and seemed a bit disheartend, expected to find instant results from her DNA... My help here is done, thanks all.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2022 10:13

DNA only works if both parties add their results to the same database

How old was the mother in 1939?

Nicola

Nicola Report 4 May 2022 23:43

Hi Erika the mother Sophie Simpson was born in 1906 Hutton Cranswick, Yorkshire. Sophie's mother's maiden name was Adcock born Pulham St Mary, Norfolk and Sophie's father Fred Simpson was born abt 1867 in Yorkshire.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2022 10:09

Have you looked on freebmd for any births Simpson mmn Simpson

Mind you unless you know where they lived in may be too many to identify

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 May 2022 10:13

Mother was Sophia not Sophie

Name: Sophia Ann Simpson
Age in 1911: 4
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Hutton Cranswick, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Hutton Cranswick
Search Photos: Search for 'Hutton Cranswick' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Street Address: Hutton Cramswick Beverley S O
Registration District Number: 525
Sub-registration District: Driffield
ED, institution, or vessel: 01
Piece: 28856
Household Members:
Name Age
Fred Simpson 42
Mary Ann Simpson 47
Sophia Ann Simpson 4