Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ada Anyon

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 11:28

Ada was born in Preston Lancashire 1893 and died in Blackpool 1976. She was once engaged but never married as the boyfriend died. When she was a young girl she went over to Canada but I don’t know why. I remember family saying she travelled across Canada by train and you had to cook for yourself when on it. (Primus stove?) the journey took about a week. There are family photos with her sitting on a horse and with the boyfriend but unfortunately no dates.

I can’t find any records of her sailing to Canada and don’t know if she went on her own. She certainly didn’t go with any of her sisters. Also don’t know why she took it into her head to go and then return.

I can remember calling to see her about 1962 when she still lived in Preston and it was just after mother’s day. There was a card on the side that said To Mum and I wondered if she had a child out there and left it. When she died there was no mention of a child in the will.

Maybe I’m clutching at straws but i would be grateful if someone could find out when she went to Canada and when she returned.
Many thanks

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Apr 2018 11:46

This seems to be her return to UK, She's heading to 8 Wallfield Rd., Preston. Her last permanent address was Canada, future permanent address England.

Ada Anyon
in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name:
Ada Anyon
Birth Date:
abt 1897
Port of Departure:
St John, New Brunswick, Canada
Arrival date:
28 Feb 1931
Port of Arrival:
Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage:
Greenock
Ship Name:
Montcalm
Shipping line:
Canadian Pacific Line
Official Number:

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 11:55

That’s certainly her as she has lived in Wellfield Road, Preston.
Part of the mystery solved.
The records of her coming home state her date of birth was 1897 but I know that to be incorrect as she was born 1893
Unfortunately I haven’t a clue as to when she went to Canada but she was 38 when she returned so maybe not as young as I thought when she went out.
Thank you

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Apr 2018 12:09

I can't find her arrival in Canada on Ancestry.

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 12:12

I’m wondering if she went out, met her boyfriend and when he died decided to return to Preston. That’s probably a mystery never to be solved but thanks for your help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 12:28

1939 Register?

As the image has been altered to Edith A, hence the transcription in brackets, could she have used that name when she travelled out?

Anyon Household (3 People)
174 Roebuck Street , Preston C.B., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Ada (Edith A) Anyon 23 May 1893 Female Cotton Weaver Single 421 1
Margaret A Anyon 10 Jun 1862 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 421 2
Jane Anyon 14 May 1880 Female Velvet Weaver Single 421 3

Free BMD shows 3 x Anyon mmn Anyon births 1931-1950, but none in the Preston area. could the card have been from someone who considered her as their 2nd mother?
Edit - similarly there are earlier Anyon/Anyon births, but none with a Preston Reg district

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 12:33

Why the heck she is listed as Edith A I haven’t a clue as I knew her well and I know of no one in the family ever called Edith. Ada was my great aunt.
Maybe she did go out to Canada under that name.
The mind boggles.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 12:34

?????

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription (findmypast)

Quebec
First name(s) Ade
Last name Anyon
Gender Female
Age 35
Birth year 1894
Occupation DOMESTIC
Departure year 1929
Departure day 2
Departure month 8
Departure port Liverpool
Destination port Quebec
Destination QUEBEC
Country Canada
Destination country Canada
Ship name Duchess Of York
Ship official number 161202
Ship master's first name R N
Ship master's last name STEWART
Shipping line CANADIAN PACIFIC
City LIVERPOOL
Ship destination port MONTREAL
Ship destination country CANADA
Ship registered tonnage 11815
Number of passengers 1109
Record set Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960

Previous address 193 Marsh Lane, Preston.
Occupation - Domestic

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 12:43

That is definitely her as she also lived in Marsh Lane where her father had a hardware shop. They moved to Wellfield Road later. Her sister Elizabeth,my grandmother married from that address.

If she was 34 when she went out then I’m probably wrong about the child.

Thank you all so much for your help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 12:45

From your knowledge, could the 1939 register be for a different family?

Presumably this is your Ada's birth

Births Jun 1893 (>99%)
Anyon Ada Preston 8e 672

Unless the person who made the notation, picked up the wrong Ada (it was a working document until 1992) perhaps she fancied the name Edith or was know as that by the DC informant?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 12:46

Play around with Anyon/Anyon birth reg on Freebmd. You may spot something we didn't.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Apr 2018 13:13

On the 1929 arrival of Ade Anyon to Canada she says that she plans to make Canada her future permanent residence. One wonders why she decided to return to UK 2 years later?

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 20 Apr 2018 13:33

This is presumably your Ada and it fits with that 1939

Baptism: 25 Jun 1893 St Mark, Preston, Lancashire, England
Ada Anyon - [Child] of Robert Anyon & Margaret Alice
Abode: 15 Whalley Sq

and siblings

Baptism: 5 Sep 1883 St Mark, Preston, Lancashire, England
Elizabeth Anyon - [Child] of Robert Anyon & Margaret Alice
Born: 26 Jul 1883
Abode: 3 Whalley Square

Baptism: 26 Jan 1887 St Mark, Preston, Lancashire, England
Alice Enon - [Child] of Robert Enon & Margaret
Born: 18 Oct 1886
Abode: 3 Whalley Square

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 13:33

The only thing I can think of is that she met her fiancé over there and when he died she decided to come home. She never married so died a spinster. Having said that she always had a chip on her shoulder about men. Continually running them down. Maybe the man in Canada didn’t die just finished the relationship which soured her. No one left now to ask unfortunately. Should have asked years ago.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 14:22

So she was in Canada 1929-1931.

Aside from homesickness & a (possible) failed relationship, she may have found that employment opportunities dried up.

The Great Depression started in the USA in 1929 & spread throughout the world.
“Unemployment reached 27% at the depth of the Depression in 1933. ”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression_in_Canada

If you’re tightening your belt, the first thing to go are ‘luxuries’ such as servants.

PatW

PatW Report 20 Apr 2018 14:47

The 1939 register is correct. Margaret A is Ada’s mother and Jane is her sister.
Just wondered what part of the year is the register is made up.

Ada lived at 174 Roebuck street and I wondered who lived at no. 178 Roebuck Street. Her sister Elizabeth married Robert Nightingale and lived at 178 but when my mother married Elizabeth and Robert moved out to let mum and dad move in. Harold and Florence Woan.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 15:01

The Register was supposed to reflect who lived where on 29 Sep 1939.

People who had already enlisted in the Forces are on a different register which is not available. There is also a late register for people who, for other reasons, weren’t included on the main one.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 15:09

Woan Household (3 People)
178 Roebuck Street , Preston C.B., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Harold Woan 24 May 1910 Motor Driver Labourer Hw
Florence Woan 13 Apr 1910 Unpaid Domestic Chores
Open record deleted - it should be closed

RG101/4575J/013/04 Letter Code:
Reference against deleted record schedule 423, schedule sub number 3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 17:42

They should!

You can request for the record to be closed via the NA - a now deceased member had a similar problem but regarding her mother. I’m pretty sure I’d used the online chat on the NA site, but can’t at the moment find the details. They’d have logged off for today.

It can be done via FMP but only if you are a subscriber. Similarly the chat feature is closed.

In the meantime, I’ll remove your entry from the C&P. I’ve also added the reference number which you might need when you contact them.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2018 20:04

Found the earlier post!!!!

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1364912

(Quote)
Been on to National Archives. 'parking' the following link & will expand later
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact/contactform.asp?id=22
Added - the above link is for Records and research enquiries as suggested by the Live Chat on National Archives.

Link used -
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/
There's a Live Chat icon on the right of the page.
11:14:40 AM: D:
An entry on the 1939 register is opened when it should be closed as they still alive (born 1931). How can they or a relative get it closed without paying Findmypasts access fee?

11:15:13 AM: R:
Hello D, welcome to The National Archives live chat service. I'll just check for that information for you.

11:18:41 AM: R:
All records of living individuals under 100 years of age in the 1939 Register should be closed.
Records opened in error are a result of one or more of the following:
a) Error in the date of birth field on the original record
b) Transcription error on the date of birth field
c) An incorrectly listed Death code in the postings column
d) A record incorrectly matched to a death record
In these instances records will be removed from the website within 36 hours (72 hours for a request during a non-business day) and will prompt further investigation as to why the record is open.

11:20:06 AM: R:
Could you therefore give me the name, address and date of birth of the individual as well as your full name and email address. I will pass these on to the relevant team.

11:22:57 AM: D:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll ask the person or their relative to contact you.
End Quote

You might have to wait until next week before the Live Chat is active