Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Statutory declarations on birth certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 11 Jun 2020 17:51

Is it possible to view the statutory declarations made to change statements made on a birth certificate in 1933.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jun 2020 18:05

I only have a copy of one birth certificate, which refers to a statutory declaration, but it is a much earlier date than you mention. ie. early 1900s. and is for a birth in 1880s.

The information which requires changing is listed on the far right-hand side of the certificate.

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 11 Jun 2020 18:17

Thanks Gwyn, I've seen that information and the people's names that apply to change the original information. By reading those peoples declarations I be able to why the changes were made. Can they be read.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jun 2020 18:36

I don't know if that information is available.

The birth certificate I have is for a 'girl' and was registered by the mother, who made her mark.
Judging from the dates,I am guessing that when the child was perhaps coming up to working age, the birth certificate was brought out for proof of age and the parents made a statutory declaration that the 'girl' was in fact a boy.
He had a name which maybe was misheard and so registered as a girl, but later he married and fathered 2 children
I don't think there was ever any doubt about his gender, but perhaps after registration, his certificate was tucked away and only many years later the errors were found.

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 11 Jun 2020 22:00

Thanks Gwyn

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Jun 2020 11:20

Ask the GRO:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 12 Jun 2020 14:01

Thanks to all, I've written to the GRO today.

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 6 Jul 2020 11:43

No reply from Gro so far.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jul 2020 12:05

They're still working under lockdown conditions.

When you say you "wrote", do you mean you sent a letter by post?

Try sending a message online.
On the page to which I gave you the link earlier, scroll down to "Query or complaint" and click "online form".
You have to fill in details on several pages before you can actually send your message, but having done that, you might get a quicker reply

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2020 13:08

The GRO are processing only URGENT requests

From their website

If your order is not urgent, please help us to support those who need our services the most by coming back at a later date to apply.

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 9 Jul 2020 21:28

Yes I did send a letter to the GRO.

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 23 Jul 2020 15:01

Herd from the Gro today, they referred me back to the the office where the declarations
we're originally made. Who had advised me to contact Gro. :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jul 2020 09:04

Declarations are made for all sorts of reasons

For instance a child born before marriage and reg in mums surname will be legitimised if the parents later marry and they inform the registry office

A declaration made to thar effect will resulting a new cert being issued

The records will refer to the month that the declaration was made

As you are looking for a specific explanation is there any circumstance that may have caused a declaration to be made ?

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 30 Jul 2020 09:42

The mother made a declaration to remove the father on the certificate.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jul 2020 10:51

Could the mother have been married at the time of the child's birth and so her husband was named as the father although he wasn't actually the father? If the marriage later broke up she may have wanted her husband's name removed from the certificate.

Kath. x

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 30 Jul 2020 12:25

The person who was removed was married to somebody else.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jul 2020 13:46

In that case perhaps the mother put this man's name on the certificate as father without his knowledge or permission. In those days if you were not married to the father of a child you were not allowed to name him on the certificate unless the assumed father was present at the registration or made a declaration admitting paternity.

Kath. x

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 30 Jul 2020 18:04

Thanks Kath

Johnnyblueeyes

Johnnyblueeyes Report 1 Aug 2020 08:47

Here I am again going around circles, I sent the information that I requested previously
To the Lewisham registry office. They now inform that it had been sent to the Gro.
But cannot be seen under the data protection act. :-( this event was in 1933.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Aug 2020 10:17

100-year rule, I would imagine.