Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know if St Lukes Hospital Guildford is 10 W

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 26 Jan 2007 19:19

Hi Would anyone know if St Luke's Hospital in Guildford. Surrey is at number 10 Warren Road. My grandmother died at this address in December 1939 Though she lived elsewhere. Thanks to anyone who can help Regards Pam

Jack

Jack Report 26 Jan 2007 19:22

I've just googled the name of the hospital and it is/was on Warren Road. Take a look. Also spotted someone who died of cancer at 10 Warren Road, so it looks like that was the hospital's full address. Had a look on the Royal Mail site and it's now listed as flats. Jack

Pam

Pam Report 26 Jan 2007 19:27

Hi Jack Thankyou for replying so quickly l did google and saw that it was on Warren Road but didn't see the post that someone had died there Thankyou so much l really appreciate your help Kind Regards Pam

James

James Report 27 Jan 2007 01:06

Hi Pam, I found this entry on a Waller Family History Page. Florence WALLER, b. 1 January 1892, Cranleigh, Surrey; d. 19 May 1936, 10 Warren Road, Guildford, Surrey Age 44. All the best Jim Leitch

Sandra S

Sandra S Report 27 Jan 2007 09:34

Hi My neice and nephew were born at St Lukes in the early 1980's. Guildford now has a 'new' hospital called The Royal Surrey, but at the time St Lukes was being used as the Maternity wing. Then St Lukes was a Cancer Hospital. Now it's still in use as a hospital, but a private one. It started out, (I think) as the Guildford Union Workhouse, then progressed to the main town hospital. If you Google it, I'm sure you will find a lot of info about it. Sandra

Penny

Penny Report 24 May 2011 00:01

My husband was born in St Lukes Warren Rd in 1946 but I believe the site is now flats

jax

jax Report 24 May 2011 00:07

Penny

Pam posted this 4 years ago now I doubt if she is still checking for replies

jax

Pam

Pam Report 21 Oct 2017 17:24

So sorry everyone I do apologise most sincerely for not replying

Thank you all who contributed

Roger

Roger Report 24 Apr 2019 13:42

High i am posting on behalf of Roger my husband.He was born at 10,Warren Road in 1946 and was adopted so if anyone knows if any records still exist ,please could let me know.Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Apr 2019 14:13

What records are you looking for on behalf of Roger

Does he have his original birth cert

He is also entitled to his adoption records

Do you have his actual birth date

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2019 14:13

What records are you hoping for?

Have you done anything about trying to get info?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Apr 2019 15:38

Hospital patient records have almost certainly been destroyed long ago.

When I worked in a hospital, the policy was that the mother's obstetric records were kept until the child was 25, and then culled.

Roger

Roger Report 24 Apr 2019 16:13

Thanks for your reply, yes he's got his original birth certificate but no adoption records
We were looking for anything that might give us any clue as to his father,of course it's a long time ago and Roger has given up ever finding out anything about him but the children would like to know. Even if it's just his nationality.Thanks again

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Apr 2019 16:27

You say he has no adoption records. Has he tried to access them?

Some info here:

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/search/righttosearch/accessrecords.htm

I may be wrong, but I suspect that if there's no father named on his birth cert, then the father won't be named elsewhere either.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Apr 2019 18:37

I know someone who was born in Scotland in 1940s and adopted.

There was no father's name on the original birth certificate, but his name was recorded in the adoption records.

Roger

Roger Report 24 Apr 2019 20:01

Hi,thanks for your replies.Unfortunately the court and all the records in the town where he was adopted was burnt down so that was the end that. I think we'll have to give up.
Thanks.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Apr 2019 01:03

Roger

Do you know if there really was a fire.?

It's amazing how many fires supposedly happened all across the country.
Many people have been told this and later discovered that the fire story was untrue.

Roger

Roger Report 25 Apr 2019 13:03

Well i've heard that before and there does seem to have been a lot of fires around the country.Perhaps I should try and find out more about this fire.
Thanks

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Apr 2019 09:03

Some records do survive and are held at the Surrey History Centre.

Unfortunately it looks like patient admission and discharge records are only from 1948.

https://tinyurl.com/y65yfz3y

Chris

Roger

Roger Report 29 Apr 2019 17:42

Thanks Chris, we have been up to the Surrey History Centre years ago
but like you say we couldn't find anything.
Cheers