General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adverts - what do you hate or like

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 22 Apr 2018 20:38

My hates at the moment are:

V I POO

Halifax -

unstoppables

Phyll

Phyll Report 22 Apr 2018 22:04

The AA ad with that silly little girl - as if she could sing like that!

Madge

Madge Report 22 Apr 2018 22:24

I detest all of em :-|

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Apr 2018 22:46

All except the Meercats :-D

Island

Island Report 22 Apr 2018 22:47

They're not allowed in my TV lounge - fast forward or mute :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Apr 2018 06:52

The anti-ageing cream ad is a fraud.

I'm getting more wrinkly by the day! :-D

Island

Island Report 23 Apr 2018 07:13

I never found any vanishing cream :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2018 07:51

I hate that V I Poo one too

The Windows advert with the bloke with long greasy back hair who screams

Any PPI one

The unstoppables one

I shout at the funeral cost ones on the false costs they say a funeral,costs, my pet peeve is they include travel and accommodation charges which I always shout who pays for someone to attend ??? Hubby had a very dignified funeral for over £2000 less That one really winds me up !!!!

Lots more that I cringe too or verbally challenge when they come on

The meercat ones are the only ones I find ok even though I wouldn't buy the product anyway

Island

Island Report 23 Apr 2018 08:15

Adverts were quite a novelty when they were first on TV. My young brother wasn't interested in most programmes but he would race into the room to watch the ads.
Life and TV ads were so much less cluttered then but now they are full on expensive productions, as make believe as any other show.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Apr 2018 08:49

June Dad

Oral B

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Apr 2018 09:47

i usually like the music on ads, the ones that have it, more than the ads themselves

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Apr 2018 09:58

We fast forward any programmes with adverts :-D - we watch very few programmes live from companies that have adverts.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Apr 2018 10:03

I love all adverts!

Here in Australia they are far more interesting than the TV programmes, which interrupt the ads every five minutes or so :-| :-P :-P

Mersey

Mersey Report 23 Apr 2018 10:30

Love the Aldi advert, about the air freshner !! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 23 Apr 2018 14:20

I had no idea what some of these are.
I googled VI Poo........

Isn't that what cigarette lighters are for? :-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Apr 2018 16:14

1. Whole life insurance i.e. the funeral ones. They go on as though they are doing you a favour - we studied these policies when I did my banking exams in the 70's - nothing new and not always the best option.

Agree too about the costs, £3,000 ( bit more if you are in London, perhaps ) with get a perfectly dignified funeral. We had two in the past two years so can speak first hand. Deceased Estate is liable for funeral, flowers and refreshments for the party. Accommodation / travel / meals etc - No.

2. Perpetual sales i.e Oak Furnitureland etc. Must end Sunday, they have so many overlapping sales they forget which Sunday it is! Forget the so called saving too (which aren't real ones either) just give me the price.

3. Actors talking as if they are a member of the general public. Actors pretending to be dentists. Dentist aren't supposed to promote one manufacturer over another.

4. Singing or speaking dogs, and singing little girls as mentioned earlier.

5. Adverts making claims that can never be defined. Three shades whiter. How do you define a shade of white? Our best ever yet - what is a yet?!

6. Oh yes, the VI Poo one is disgusting especially if you are just about to take a mouthful of food!

7. Small print at the bottom of the screen that you can't read - even if you could it goes away after 2 seconds.

8. The early Aldi tea one with the old duck who doesn't like tea, but prefers Gin was brilliant. They have tried to replicate it for other products but haven't succeeded.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 23 Apr 2018 16:29

Car ads which are totally up themselves and make up their own grammar - 'create amazing', 'inspire the next' :-P

The one where someone sticks their fingers in pies - don't know what it's advertising - I just hate 'messing about' with food!

Best ad was a Guinness one from years ago, tune 'Rhythm of Life'.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Apr 2018 16:37

Dove Conditioning ad is all wrong.putting a non condioning shampoo up against Dove conditioner.
And most of the ones using actors..

Bah Humbug. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 23 Apr 2018 18:32

What was the advert that used a gorilla --- doing phil collins - something in the air tonight?
cant remember what it was for

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Apr 2018 18:37

Cadburys chocolate Elizabeth :-)