General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DRUGS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 09:39

I'd like to start a thread on something I know nothing about, DRUGS.

Drugs as opposed to prescribed medication. Medicines prescribed are to alleviate

symptoms, often successfully. The Doctor knows by diagnosis the nature of the

problem and which medication will or should cure it.

But DRUGS, I don't understand that. They are unprescribed and can be harmful.

They have to be bought and crime is greatly increased to giver the "user" the money

to buy them. Unlike nicotine or alcohol DRUGS whatever name they go under are

harmful in unknown ways. Their sale and their effects take up huge amounts of

Police time. They presumably alter states of mind ? Even prescribed drugs like

Prozac and Valium are addictive. Has anyone opinion on the street drugs ?

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 10:43

Even SIr Arthur Conan Doyle creator of Sherlock Holmes knew it was a bad habit.

Wonder Sherlock was so brilliant between fixes ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jul 2018 11:04

Like taking up normal smoking, it is a personal choice,
unless blackmailed into it,..........no one forces you to take street drugs.

Many believe that cannabis derivatives relieve certain illnesses, and pain,

I personally don't know if that is true...
but for example,on the other hand...
all the hype about Omega 3 being essential for better heart health, now seems to be as good as snake oil...

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Jul 2018 11:08

'No generation has found life tolerable without some physical or mental stimulant'.

(Something I read a while back.)

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 11:13

Bob, I used to smoke cigarettes (quit 1996) but I wasted a fortune on them over many years. They deprived me of my leg's ability to run and other things. IF every
cigarette tasted like the first one, I wouldn't have finished the packet.
When I was young I used to drink, sometimes to excess. After 15 years I quit in 1978.

So, what harm are the variety of street drugs doing ?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2018 11:24

I think that drugs such as cannabis can be mind altering with some people. When my niece was 15 she ran away from home and ended up in London just after her 16th birthday. (for a month we had no idea what had happened to her, it was a very worrying time and we were pleased when she got in touch with her mum, my sister, a single mum at that time. She had been living in a squat and 'smoking', she stayed in London, met a lad, married him and had two children and they divorced. I don't know how long she was smoking pot/cannibis or whatever else but she developed Schitzophrenia and is on medication for it to this day, estranged by her chouce from most of her family and totally 'off the wall' if she neglects to take her medication. It is thought it was the drugs that caused it.

As somebody said it is a choice people make, People are noy usually forced into taking it. Although maybe that is not true when drug sellers target young children who then become hooked.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Jul 2018 11:25

Answer to David. Street drugs do not just affect the user but all their family, friends and community. Use of drugs leads to violence thieving, deceit and downright anti social behaviour. I am very anti drugs as I have personally seen what they can do. Even the so called soft drugs are a menace.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jul 2018 11:28

similarly...Smoked from leaving school,until age of 39, decided it was costing too much, and was getting breathless..went cold turkey...I said I would never buy any more....and I haven't...

..I never was an athlete although while younger was quite fit...but the damage methinks was done!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Jul 2018 11:34

I smoked from school days too and only gave up while I was pregnant as it made me feel incredibly sick and also of course a risk to the babies. I smoked 50 a day until Jan. 2000 and went cold turkey and have not touched one since. :-D

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 12:59

Ann, are the Doctors sure your niece's illness was caused by smoking spliffs, skunk ?
or was she taking something else ? (apologies for asking)

I started smoking aged 12 !! The nearest I got to spliffs was roll ups of Old Holborn.
Bad habit smoking, but the harm's done before the penny drops.

I wouldn't smoke tobacco or marijuana if I was paid. :-P

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 13:14

I used to live very near to an address where they often had loud all night parties.
Think they were called "raves" and those present were on Ecstacy.

Down the street from my house was a school where drug dealers gave drugs to children until they became addicted. Then they started selling it to them !!

A Policeman told me that. :-0 :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2018 14:07

I haven't a clue David she was 15/16 then and is in her 30s now. I don't know if the connection has ever been proved but I have through the years seen several cases the same as hers. She lives independently but is 'looked after' by one of her daughters. If she stops taking her medication she is inevitably sectioned until stabilised again.

I also don't know if she ever took any other drugs, or if she takes any now.

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 14:26

My wife's been through the mill since her parents died. Getting screwed left right and
centre by my in laws and cowboys since she inherited money as a sole beneficiary.
When stressed I've noticed she sometimes talk to herself, but she's NOT on drugs. :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2018 16:12

One of my nephews has Multiple Sclerosis.
He was diagnosed in his early 20's whilst at University.
Fortunately, he met another MS sufferer, who insisted he join a drugs trial he was on.
The trial was for Beta Interferons.
The drugs were a success for my nephew, unfortunately, due to costs, after a few years, the drugs were limited to those who had had at least 2 'relapses' - unless a person had been on the trial.
Nephew has been taking the drugs for over 20 years now. He is mobile, has a very responsible job, married, has a child, and another one due - the drugs have been amazing.
But.
Sometimes his muscles stiffen, and the best 'cure' for this, is cannabis - it relaxes the muscles.
He would rather have the drug prescribed, unfortunately this hasn't happened yet - too much money potentially involved.
It's good news that at least 2 children are now allowed cannabis oil for seizures, but there are many more people it could help.

Cannabis was first introduced to Britain in the 1840's, and was used in quite a few medications, until it was made illegal in the UK in 1928, when it was added to the Dangerous Drug Act. However, doctors could still use it for medical purposes up until 1971.
If it was made legal again, at least if you grew your own, you'd know what you were smoking/eating.
As it stands, in reality, a person has no idea what has been added to anything they buy off a dealer. :-(

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 17:41

I have read that drugs like opium and morphine have their problems when taken

unprescribed, it's the synthetic manufactured drugs that are the big problem.

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 19 Jul 2018 18:34

I was a sole beneficiary David, but no one screwed me and no one ever will!!!

David

David Report 19 Jul 2018 18:43

You're a fortunate person.

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 19 Jul 2018 19:04

No, just strong minded one, even with my kids!! Have had to be!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jul 2018 19:53

Taking drugs is an addiction, which should be treated as an illness

Smoking is also an addiction, and some of us find it easier than others to quit. Some can quit cold turkey, I had laser treatment in 1990 that worked. Others need to take the nicotine patches, sprays, gum. Some never succeed.

Some people become addicted to drugs through taking medications for pain after surgery or injury .............. one reason why easy prescription of opioid drugs was restricted here in BC last year, leading to problems for people who were taking them on prescription after cancer, major spinal injury etc. Many of them ended up buying street drugs because nothing else gave them relief.

These restrictions have now been eased to allow such patients to continue to obtain prescription opiods.

Codeine is an opioid drug ................ I don't know about your paracetamol + codeine or co-codamol but my Tylenol 3 (300mg acetominophen + 30mg codeine + 15 mg caffeine) is available only on prescription and it requires a visit to the doctor before a new prescription will be provided.

I was addicted to cigarettes for over 30 years, managed to stop several times but never for more than a couple of months before something drove me back to it.

I never had more than 1 puff of a marijuana cigarette and that was just once at a party back in the early 1970s. I felt nothing, but watched in disbelief as the stub was first placed on a pin when it got too small to hold, then as the last person swallowed the last little bit.

I was never addicted to drink ................. I was one of those people who got physically ill before getting anywhere near drunk.

My feeling is that "there, but for the Grace of God, go I"

I feel sympathy for those poor addicted people and wish that governments would do more re treating them as sick people rather than idiots or fools.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 20 Jul 2018 21:00

I destroy homes, tear families apart,
take your children, and that's just the start.
I'm more costly than diamonds, more costly than gold,
the sorrow I bring is a sight to behold,
and if you need me, remember I'm easily found.
I live all around you, in schools and in town.
I live with the rich, I live with the poor,
I live down the street, and maybe next door.
My power is awesome; try me you'll see,
but if you do, you may never break free.
Just try me once and I might let you go,
but try me twice, and I'll own your soul.
When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie.
You do what you have to just to get high.
The crimes you'll commit, for my narcotic charms
will be worth the pleasure you'll feel in your arms.
You'll lie to your mother; you'll steal from your dad
When you see their tears, you should feel sad.
But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised,
I'll be your conscience, I'll teach you my ways.
I take kids from parents, and parents from kids,
I turn people from God, and separate from friends.
I'll take everything from you, your looks and your pride,
I'll be with you always, right by your side.
You'll give up everything your family, your home,
your friends, your money, then you'll be alone.
I'll take and take, till you have nothing more to give.
When I'm finished with you you'll be lucky to live.
If you try me be warned this is no game.
If given the chance, I'll drive you insane.
I'll ravish your body; I'll control your mind.
I'll own you completely; your soul will be mine.
The nightmares I'll give you while lying in bed,
the voices you'll hear from inside your head,
the sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see;
I want you to know, these are all gifts from me,
But then it's too late, and you'll know in your heart,
that you are mine, and we shall not part.
You'll regret that you tried me, they always do,
but you came to me, not I to you.
You knew this would happen. Many times you were told,
but you challenged my power, and chose to be bold.
You could have said no, and just walked away,
If you could live that day over, now what would you say?
I'll be your master; you will be my slave,
I'll even go with you, when you go to your grave.
Now that you have met me, what will you do?
Will you try me or not? Its all up to you.
I can bring you more misery than words can tell.
Come take my hand, let me lead you to hell.

. ~ Unknown ~