General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

* Summer Time Ending *

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2018 16:02

What do you think about altering the clocks .it's next Weekend ! I myself don't like it dark early evening , someone lives on their own it must be hard to close curtains 4_5 pm .& then not see anyone till morning .Barbara :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Oct 2018 16:07

'A clock wastes no time' & 'Never a frown is found on a clock face'.

That's my contribution to this bi-annual tradition. :-D

Linda

Linda Report 21 Oct 2018 16:10

I don't mind the dark evenings really my thinking is the days are longer then shorter so I can put up with a few short months maybe that's just me :-( :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Oct 2018 16:19

I don't mind the dark evenings either. The best bit is the lighter mornings - at the moment it gets light at about 8am, so to have it light at 7am for a while will be great.

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2018 16:35

My little Westie dogs still want feeding normal time they don't understand clocks changing ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2018 18:36

I would prefer it if they didn’t alter but that is because light mornings don’t matter to us now we are retired. But I appreciate it is better for people going to work. However then they end up coming home in the dark.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2018 19:20

My youngest grandchild walks more than two-and-half miles to school which starts before 8.30 so you'll see why I favour lighter mornings. As his school finishes earlier than most he should be able to walk home before dark settles in.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2018 19:53

The 6 monthly clock change is a EU competence. The Commission has undertaken extensive consultations which show that over 80% of people would prefer the same time all year round. It is therefore drafting regulations to that effect with each sovereign state being able to stay with the changing or switch to all year summertime. It is expected that most would go with permanent CET.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Oct 2018 19:58

When my husband was working in a bunker during winter, Monday - Friday lunchtime, he didn't see daylight.

At work for 7 am took a lunch with him, finished work at 5 except Fridays when he came home for the weekend.

Reverse in summer when sent to Saxa Vord - no proper darkness :-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2018 20:25

I can see why people prefer changes because of School times .& they are out in daylight back home before dark . as with Ann being retired doesn't matter as much .for us but.if an elderly person goes to Day Care & gets home after 4pm can't be nice for them if they live alone.suppose swings & round abouts .can't please everyone just hope the council's do their job re street lighting & salt on.the roads . Barbara

Allan

Allan Report 21 Oct 2018 22:37

Move to WA, we don't alter our clocks here :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Oct 2018 22:41

I dont mind the clocks going back

But I cant remember where I bought mine ;-) ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 21 Oct 2018 23:16

:-D :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Oct 2018 23:49

When the clocks go back

We call it back to the Future day ;-) ;-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Oct 2018 08:32

:-) :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2018 09:53

Didn't UK have a trial around late 60s early 70s of not changing the clocks?

I seem to recall very dark mornings.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Oct 2018 11:38

That's right Gwyn, but the Scot's didn't like it. Apparently their farm animals had difficulty coping with the clocks not changing.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 Oct 2018 18:53

Didn't they try putting the clocks forward two hours one year? Or is my memory playing up.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2018 19:23

I dont mind the clocks going back on the day as it means I'm a hour younger than the day before ;-)

:-D.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Oct 2018 21:20

Yes Bob, it was called Double Summertime and was used in WW II