General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cooking

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 29 May 2019 07:38

Do you remember when the best cook you knew was your Mother ?

Every one else's cooking compared with hers.

She took the time to cook and prepare a meal. Any cooking ability

we have was learned from her. Now every thing can be bought in a

tin pre cooked. We only need to open the tin and heat it up.

I don't recall my Mother adding all the E numbers when she was cooking

Maybe that's why it tasted so good. :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 May 2019 08:13

I definitely agree. What cooking skills I have (and they aren't many!) were learned from my mother. Food definitely tasted better in those days - but that could be because I'm getting old now and my taste buds have probably changed.

Kath. x

David

David Report 29 May 2019 08:55

I can boil or fry or scramble an egg. I can make toast :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2019 17:35

I USED to think that ............... but then I realised how limited our diet was.

Now, I still make some of the dishes she used to make, as well as some that OH's mother made when he was young ............... but they are spiced up more than the mothers' versions were.

They never added Lea & Perrins, HP Sauce, bay leaves and other herbs for example to Shepherd's or Cottage Pies, or stews. I think salt and pepper as all they added .......... I discovered how different that was to our tastes when I had to go on a bland diet a couple of years ago, and we made a Shepherd's Pie and a stew a la mother. Just had to add more pepper afterwards!

There is one thing my mother made that I remember with delight but have never made. She used to make it when I went away to university, put it in a tin and post it to me at least once a term until she died in my second year.

It was a spice cake ...... and I have NEVER been able to find the recipe that she used!!!!

Island

Island Report 29 May 2019 17:56

As children, mother was the 'only' cook most of us knew.

It wasn't until I started cooking for myself that I realised sprouts and cabbage don't have to be mushy, you don't need to peel mushrooms and there's no need to pour salt into the water when cooking veg!
We ate it all up because we weren't brats.
Mother was a good baker though (not bread :-0 :-D)

David

David Report 29 May 2019 18:29

My Mother was a good cook, she could make a money out of what

looked like an empty cupboard.

Sometimes she would buy a large bone at the Grainger Market

and boil it all day, adding split peas, barley and stuff. The bone

would boil to nothing, what was left was delicious :-D <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2019 20:02

Island ..............

same here!!!

OH's mother came to stay with us about 2 years after we'd married and moved over here.

In that time we had learnt you didn't have to cook all meat for 30 minutes per lb, boil potatoes or veggies for 30 minutes, or potatoes for 45 minutes if you wanted mash, etc etc etc

Result????

She went home and told everyone "Poor xxxxx, Sylvia can't cook."

18 months after that, she and f-i-l came back at Christmas time, we attended their daughter's wedding and then the parents spent Christmas with us. OH and I cooked the meal jointly, including sprouts. OH had never eaten sprouts willingly when at home, so m-i-l watched in some amazement as he took a spoonful, and ate them. The she said "You really must like them like that."

Two years later, we went to England on holiday ............... m-i-l was cooking vegetables and potatoes as we did, though meat was still very well done :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 29 May 2019 20:14

When I were a lad..... My mum was known to buy and bone a pig's head and roll it to make a sunday joint. It took her hours. I remember when we could only get olive oil from the chemist. And as for garlic...

David

David Report 29 May 2019 21:18

Don't know about you lot but my Mother used the frying pan a lot and used dripping.

That same dripping would still be in the frying pan next morning and it was not unusual

to fry bread. You could taste the previous meal in the dripping. Very tasty :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 May 2019 22:00

I still use beef dripping in a chip pan for chips - it stays in the pan for months and is fine. If I have the odd slice of fried bread I just scrape a bit of beef dripping out of the chip pan to use in the frying pan - please don't anyone tell my doctor !!!

Ask any chef worth their salt how to make good chips and they will tell you Maris Piper potatoes fried in beef dripping.

Kath. x

Island

Island Report 29 May 2019 22:18

David, if all you do is open a tin I can see why you thought you mother was a good cook ;-) :-D

David

David Report 30 May 2019 03:41

There's things you can do with a micro wave, but you're just warming it up.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2019 04:08

Back i the early days of microwaves, a friend had just bought one and decided to cook a roast of beef in it.

We'd been invited to dinner that night, and she was displaying her new toy with great glee, but said she did not know how the roast would turn out.

It looked awful when she took it out.

It was cooked, but it was a grey-ish colour, not at all appetizing. The taste was just about OK.

David

David Report 30 May 2019 07:19

One of my brothers was in the army and was in Borneo and Sarawak.

I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg but he told me that in the jungle

he ate roasted snake off a stick !!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 30 May 2019 08:54

My father was a better cook than my mum, he did Sunday dinner. Mum's family weren't into cooking other than the very basics. Mum could do great pastry though. My cousins enjoyed their school dinners better than food at home :-D.

Dad's family were into home cooking and baking. My sister very limited cooking, I cook and bake and have a son who is a chef.

David

David Report 30 May 2019 12:36

A high percentage of people live on fish and chips, or a pizza

or those Subway sandwiches. Any of these shops deliver :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 May 2019 21:26

My dad could cook, too Pat - and sew!
Not too good at DIY, to be honest.
My brother does the cooking in his house - much better than my SiL (or it could have been a good strategy on her part :-D )
Both my sister and I are better at DIY than both the cooking brother and our dad - perhaps we learnt from his mistakes.
The other brother cooks 'proper' meals for himself, and is building a pottery studio and flat in an old Blacksmith's 'shop', mainly using recycled stuff, so his DIY can't be faulted!
...though both sister and I advised him on the size of his rooms when we went to see him last month :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2019 22:09

what advice ...... too small or too large?????

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 May 2019 22:40

Too small, Sylvia. :-D :-D
Virtually sitting on what will be the open fire ! :-S Chilblain country!

Floorboards - amazing - old scaffold boards rubbed down, rubbed down and rubbed down again, before being waxed - he won't be doing that again! :-D

This is on the mezanine floor he's created - downstairs is studio and currently storage of what he's picked up in architectural junk yards!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2019 23:29

Sounds fantastic!!!