General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crass Materialism

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2019 22:16

As I've said before, OH belongs to a sewing/craft group that meets every week.

Unfortunately, one of the group has had to go into a permanent care unit with no prospect of being able to take part in the group's activities.

That being said, the DIL of that member advised the group that she would open her MIL's Unit at 3.00pn yesterday (Saturday) and that any interested group members could help themselves to any of the materials etc which were in the Unit.

Once that deadline had passed all materials, fabrics etc would be taken to the tip

The various sewing machines were off limits given there value which ran into the thousands of dollars.

So yesterday OH took two other members of the group with her to see what was available. Other members of the group also went but travelled separately.

On arriving back home, it took us a good few minutes to empty the car!

A photo taken just prior to leaving the unit showed the car crammed with all the 'salvageable' items liberated by gallant group members.

I'm assuming, that as my wife had taken the photo, the other two ladies were in there somewhere, but I couldn't see them.

OH had cottons, fabrics, rolls of special backing materials (at a retail price of $18.00 per metre) and the list went on, complete with many items of lacework, many of which had won prizes at the local Agricultural Shows

I reckon that she came back with several hundred dollars worth of items.

I don't know ow much material etc was taken by the other members of the group, but if was as much as OH returned with then I'm sure that if the DIL had sold it on the open market she could have made a couple of grand easily :-S

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jul 2019 22:30

I find it strange that the DIL didn't think her MIL might be able/want to carry on sewing in the care unit.

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jul 2019 22:49

Alas, Maggie, the MIL has advanced dementia and no longer knows what day of the week it is :-(

Even when attending the group a while ago, she had forgotten how to thread her machine.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jul 2019 22:53

Shame :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Jul 2019 23:47

Oh,,,,maybe OH will run you up some new togs for the weekends,,,,

a new outfit with a lace collar even.

;-) :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2019 00:22

Now that would be ruff! ;-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Jul 2019 00:39

How desperately sad for that poor lady, who can no longer enjoy her sewing and crafting. Do her friends visit at all, surely she might respond occasionally?

I am glad her fabrics etc weren't dumped.

Lizx

Island

Island Report 14 Jul 2019 09:23

I feel for the daughter in law having to dispose of such an excessive hoard. Been there :-(

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2019 10:24

Apparently, there has now been a change of heart and any left over materials will be taken to the Op-shop.

I'm sure that the loot in a boot will be the subject of swapsies at the b*tch and stitch session tomorrow morning :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 14 Jul 2019 10:35

That's good Allan, there's plenty of recyclers, upcyclers and monocyclers out there who will be itching to add to their 'stash' ;-) :-D
I must be the only crafty stitch artist who exercises restraint :-D :-D or perhaps I'm just a tight wad LOL :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2019 10:46

Speaking of tight wads, there was also plenty of wadding material ;-)

Island

Island Report 14 Jul 2019 10:52

:-D :-D

padded suits all round then :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2019 10:55

To go with the padded cell that my OH has created for me :-( :-D :-D

Von

Von Report 14 Jul 2019 14:37

At least it was rescued Alan
It would be nice if some of the members could make a quilt for the lady. Who knows what memories might be triggered by the sight of some of the fabrics.

Other pieces could be made and sold for charity. At least that way it doesn't languish in someone else's stash ;-) ;-) ;-)

Island

Island Report 14 Jul 2019 15:25

All my life I've worked with fabrics Von and nobody used the word 'stash' :-S I think it was FB that circulated it but where did it come from and why has it been happily adopted in the UK?. I hate it, probably because my mother was an ott hoarder and of course left it for me to deal with. :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2019 15:50

Island the word stash is used a lot by younger card and paper craft members and is also used in crafting magazines. I suppose the correct word would be ‘stock’. Yes not keen on stash as a replacement but I am sure it will stick. Makes you think of I’ll gotten goods.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Jul 2019 15:55

Stash is an old word Island not a new one.

Island

Island Report 14 Jul 2019 16:06

I agree Ann, it does imply 'ill gotten goods' and 'stock' is correct although it's always been 'fabrics and haberdashery' to me. I say 'stash' is used because such persons won't admit to being hoarders LOL

It is indeed an old word Pat but not in the current context. :-P

Von

Von Report 14 Jul 2019 16:16

So sorry to have offended you Island. :-0 :-0 :-(

Stash is a word in common use in quilting circles and means nothing more than an abundance of fabric that you may never use ;-) ;-) ;-)

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jul 2019 16:17

In jewellery making circles we use the word 'stash' too.

When my younger sister died a few months ago, she made provision for all her cardmaking things and craft materials to go to be shared out at and used at her craft group.