General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prince William

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 14 Jul 2019 20:07

I really admire Prince William. Despite his parent's unhappy marriage and

being constantly in the spot light he never the less gives a good impression.

His being a helicopter para-medic is very impressionable. for a Royal..

But what really makes such a good impression about Prince William

is the fact that he walked behind his Mother to her funeral alongside his Father

his brother and his Uncle. I couldn't do that. :-0

David

David Report 14 Jul 2019 22:05

I noticed earlier this evening at the Wimbledon men's final that it was the

Duke of Kent who sat else where in the crowd and the Duchess of Cambridge

who did all the hand shaking and prize giving.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2019 04:12

That is because the Duchess is the Royal Patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, and that is the organization that holds Wimbledon. The queen appointed her to that position when she decided to relinquish the patronage herself.

The Duchess attended her first Wimbledon as patron in 2017, so this is her 3rd time.

The Duke of Kent is President of the All England Tennis and Croquet Club, and he has presented the awards in the past, since about 1969.

So he stepped aside this year to let Kate do the final presentation.

Apparently he did present awards to the officials, etc before Kate took over for the very last ......... those awards might not have been seen on your TV presentation.

A passing of the torch maybe????

He is 83 after all

David

David Report 15 Jul 2019 06:23

I remember, many yers ago, the Duke of Kent's wife use to do it

Federer was unfortunate to lose, it was a long hard game.

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Jul 2019 09:01

A good game the players must be superfit I remember Duches of Kent very smart lady looks like Catherine is now the one to do the job .

David

David Report 15 Jul 2019 16:50

They are indeed super-fit., surrounded by thousands of spectators at the court or on thll.. I remember an Australian used to dominate the sport, Rod Laver..

Off topic, the player that Henman hill is named after is a first cousin of the
orthopaedic surgeon who did so much work on my left leg. ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2019 17:21

The Duke of Kent's mother, Marina, used to present the awards, right up to about 1968.

Then she became ill and he took her place beginning in 1969, both as President and the presenter of awards..

David

David Report 15 Jul 2019 19:30

The Duke of Kent's full name is Prince Edward George Nicholas Paul Patrick

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Jul 2019 18:56

David when you look at Prince William he looks so like his late Mum .handsome young man she would be so proud of his family .Barbara

David

David Report 17 Jul 2019 20:45

Without a doubt Barbra :-) And an impressive choice of career he has.

I said it earlier, what strength of character to be able to walk behind his Mother

Haribo

Haribo Report 18 Jul 2019 21:32

totally agree.... a lovely young man, good husband and great father.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jul 2019 22:16

SPQR

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jul 2019 01:05

Ah yes, Rollo ........

a delightful restaurant in California. An old friend has recommended that we go there if we visit to California any time soon

An interesting name, don't you think?

But not quite sure how it has any reference to Prince William :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Jul 2019 10:16

Reference to a Latin phrase I think Sylvia. I did Latin many years ago :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jul 2019 11:14

SPQR (Latin: Senatus Populusque Romanus, "The Roman Senate and People", or more freely as "The Senate and People of Rome"; Classical Latin: [s?'na?.tus p?pu'lus.k?? ro?'ma?.nus]) refers to the government of the ancient Roman Republic.

The last king of Rome was Tarquin.
Lucius Tarquinius Superbus - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Tarquinius_Superbus

Lucius Tarquinius Superbus (died 495 BC) was the legendary seventh and final king of Rome, reigning from 535 BC until the popular uprising in 509 BC that led to the establishment of the Roman Republic. He is commonly known as Tarquin the Proud, from his cognomen Superbus (Latin for "proud, arrogant, lofty").

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Jul 2019 16:09

Other than Royal still not sure why it actually applies to this thread....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jul 2019 17:30

SPQR ...... restaurant in northern California

I'm not trying to show off my Latin knowledge, nor my knowledge of the old Roman Empire, though I have a LOT of history education.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jul 2019 18:48

"SPQR" is a very well known motto of the Roman republic and is for that reason widely used by Italian restaurants world over inc the one in Filmore Street, S.F. which is good fun though far from classy. There is nothing classy in Filmore Street.

Of course there are other Italian establishments going by such monikers as Neros and Caesars.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Jul 2019 19:02

But what has either got to do with Prince William :-S :-S :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Jul 2019 19:54

:-D