General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Choice of Doctor

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Jul 2019 05:39

Were HM Queen Elizabeth 11's parents a sister treat by Homeopath medicine ?

or is it her own choice ? She looks very on it for her age.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 08:35

Morning David
Do you mean - were HMs parents and sister also believers in homeopathic medicine?

David

David Report 26 Jul 2019 09:17

Good morning, yes Island. I know our Queen's Father died of Cancer but her

Mother lived until over 100. I'm sure her sister would have lived longer in

happier relationship circumstances, without the cigarettes.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Jul 2019 10:02

Margaret might have done better if her sister had allowed her to marry the man she loved. Not that E2 seemed to learn much from it.

Lots of my rellies have lived with good health into their 90s and a few passed 100. One, a Battle of Britain pilot, died only recently.

None of them used homeopathic remedies but for the most part the good 'ol NHS leavened with some private but conventional care here and there. They were all fond of a dram - one was even a major shareholder of a brewery. Only one smoked past 70 though.

The King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone does not endorse homeopathic medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8mdoINiOQ

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jul 2019 11:07

Again, I agree with you Rollo; what a strange week it is! :-D

Why would one believe that homeopathic 'remedies' are better than the good old NHS with all the qualified and quantified research it encompasses?

We, as a family, have a lot of long 'livers' too. My last uncle was well over 100 when he died - and was completely compos mentis but his sight was failing. He still used a cup and saucer though as he felt to put the cup back onto the saucer correctly.

Wasn't it gin that helped the QM? In copious amounts it would pickle and preserve me too. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Jul 2019 12:00

The key to staying alive and well is to take a keen interest in life, strange to tell.
The QM was passionate about horse racing and very well loved by the racing community. They were desolate at her passing.

One of the most beautiful and finest minds that ever wore a crown.
G6 obviously had better taste than his brother.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 26 Jul 2019 12:11

If you had read documents publicly released recently which covered the Townsend relationship Princess Margaret was told she could marry Townsend but couldn't stay a royal princess due to him being a divorcee. Princess Margaret then announced that due to her religious views she wouldn't marry Townsend.

The series about the royals that's been shown recently had access to these documents but I understand they decided to go with what gossip had said for many years that the queen forbade the marriage.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 12:24

My parents lived to their 90s with no need for the NHS but none of this swagging is answering Davids question is it. I think the answer David, is no-one knows - now there's a surprise!

David

David Report 26 Jul 2019 13:03

It is strange how attitudes change in a few decades. Charles married a divorcee

as did hid youngest son Harry. Andrew has caused raised eyebrows as has

Ann. Edward and Sophie appear to be the most stable.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 13:14

Ann divorced and married again. I think the only 'interesting' thing that Edward did was leave the military and join the 'Really Useful Theatre Company' which made him the subject of speculation for ……… all of a week was it. He doesn't strike me as having much character but hey ho.....

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jul 2019 14:15

At the time of Margaret's rejection of Townsend, most of us knew that she chose privilege over passion . I remember that it was common knowledge among us then and the excuse of the Queen's displeasure and ultimatum came just a tad later. It made Margaret look a little less mercenary but she must have known full-well that such a marriage would not be acceptable - as there had been a precedent. The Queen's ultimatum only ratified it and enabled Margaret to pull out of any proposed engagement.

If only she'd never smoked and had only pickled herself she may well have lived longer and continued to live an enjoyable life without her ex-OH who was said to be liked by some but whose antics must have caused considerable consternation - a brave, silent face is everything to royalty, don't you think? It has served the Queen well.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 14:24

Antics? Do spill the beans Joy :-D

see.... I read your post ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jul 2019 14:47

Island, a bit cavalier as far as the fair sex was concerned - the Queen's advisers must have known this as they were good at their jobs and rarely missed any little nuance.

An illegitimate child before his marriage to Margaret, at the time, not laid claim to.

Even during his subsequent marriage he had a mistress who later committed suicide.

From recollections at the time and from what I've read, to me he seemed a little controlling and no gentleman.

Quite sad for Margaret, I should think. All in all, a barge pole springs to mind.

But a lot of time has elapsed and I have to say that William and Kate seem eminently suitable for their future roles - nothing has yet leaked out, anyway. ;-) :-D

When their time comes, I hope they will be as good and as steadying a hand on the rudder as the Queen and Duke of E have been. A couple of blips along the way but steadfast and stalwart springs to mind when I think of their long reign.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Jul 2019 15:14

David, gone off-piste again.

In my book:

Homeopathy 0

NHS 10

Gin 100

:-D

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 15:14

Joy, I never did understand why TAJ was put forward as a suitor when 'they' were marrying Margaret off but then Roddy L seemed to be her choice. I think she liked the jet setter life too much to cut loose and be happy.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 15:20

Doing a 'you know who'

David, gone off-piste again.

In my book:

Homeopathy 100 if you embrace it wholly

NHS 10 if admin don't lose your notes

Gin 0 *barf*

:-D :-D

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jul 2019 15:59

At least with homeopathic medicine there can be virtually zero harm in using it and the placebo effect must be very strong.

Island

Island Report 26 Jul 2019 16:11

Exactly Ken but I expect Zorro will have an ancient rellie who died a grisly death through self administering a homeopathic preparation. ;-) :-\

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jul 2019 16:19

:-D

David

David Report 26 Jul 2019 16:24

I confess I've little knowledge of Homeopathy.

My trust of the NHS was 100 %

However as a consequence of becoming a cripple as a consequence of

acquiring a H A I as a result of several surgery s on my leg, I'm no longer sure..

Worthington E 80%

Kense, I "think" it's like a vaccine. There is in it a minute dose of that which

it is trying to prevent. (?)