General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brexit from one German point of view

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Jul 2019 21:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grliNk9Mqz4&feature=share

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Jul 2019 21:25

Now of course I'll get called a right-wing supporter or a bigot whatever...but on it's face what she says isn't.

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Jul 2019 21:37

But she isn't really saying very much is she?

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jul 2019 21:54

I thought that she was spot-on

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Jul 2019 21:59

Sometimes saying less is more??

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Jul 2019 22:02

Well said by her. I agree with your last statement Caroline

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Jul 2019 22:11

So what exactly do you think she was saying in "saying less"?

genuine question as maybe i missed something?

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Jul 2019 22:30

That the UK has been treated badly and the EU needs to step back and look at itself and it's future.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Jul 2019 22:39

All very well but most of what she says is inaccurate just as with Bojo or Farage in the UK. The translation is poor/selective take your pick.

For instance for many years such benefits as housing, unemployment could only be claimed in the UK after a whole tax year of contributions had been made. Most EU countries do not allow their own citizens full benefits from the get go - especially Germany. All that the EU rules state is that all EU citizens must be treated the same as locals. Cameron did not want to toughen access to HB etc and found it easier to blame the EU when the UK sucked in a lot of labour for everything from agriculture, London QR line, London new main sewer, City finance. NHS .... Not only were (and are) these people of great economic benefit but they made a massive net contribution un tax.

The UK has not very often lined up a "blocking" majority in the EU with anybody let alone Germany. In 1914 and 1939 Germany and the UK were each other's major trade partner. That did not stop open warfare. Today the two countries again have close commercial links but they do not extend far into politics where the UK is far closer to France - as it was in 1870, 1914 and 1939. Germany has been extremely slow to cease coal and lignite production. It maintains close relationships with Russia - it is in the middle of building a massive gas pipeline (Nordstrom) across the Baltic for Russian gas much as its EU allies complain.

Germany v craftily converted the DM to €uro at a very advantageous rate. The other countries were mad to let them do so. The undervaluation of the DM is the principle reason for Germany's massive trade surplus and economic dominance in the EU. Some of the German "miracle" has lost its shine with the diesel scandal and near bankruptcy of leading banks.

It still refuses to pay in full for the looting of Greek gold reserves in 1942.

And so on.

Just dig into this stuff a bit and you will see these fabrications for what they are. If you cannot then don't complain at the disaster of brexit - even if it is stopped the damage so far is horrendous. It is prefectly possible that brexit will in the end be brought to a screeching halt by a collapsing currency as much as anything said or done in Westminster.

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Jul 2019 22:49

yeah that's what I thought people were hearing :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Jul 2019 00:04

So....you're saying Germany bad and that they don't do right by their neighbours.....

Allan

Allan Report 31 Jul 2019 10:06

Duplicity springs to mind ;-)

Magpye

Magpye Report 31 Jul 2019 11:49

Wonder why the countries in Europe refuse to pay their financial dues to NATO and yet are talking about an EU army?!!? As I understand it only the UK , Latvia(?) and Poland pay the 2%of GDP agreed to and yet the others including wealthy Germany expect NATO (the USA!!) to protect Europe If the chips go down!!! Trump has a point in feeling pretty aggrieved over this one!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2019 12:21

The UK currently spends 1.8% of GDP on defence including pensions. During the Napoleonic wars this was 25%. Germany is notable not only for low spending but the weapons that it does have are mostly not servicable.

NATO is not and never has been part of the EU. Turkey , an important member, has recently bought an expensive air defence system from Russia. They count this as part of their 2% target. The cost of operations against the Kurds is also counted in. The UK counts in out of area operations such as assisting with genocide in the Yemen. Oi.

The "EU Army" has never been a serious runner. What is being considered is a light weight defense force for operations such as keeping the peace in Kosovo and Bosnia, Med. immigration, civil disasters such as earthquakes and out of control forest fires. It would never operate outside of the EU and would not of course involve the USA. EU States could decide to participate or not as they chose. Other than yet more nonsense from the likes of BoJo this project is not controversial in the rest of the EU.

A NoDeal Brexit will make life for UK police and intelligence extremely difficult as there would be a severe drop in available intelligence. For that reason they are currently downloading as much data as they can from EU sources. However retention of such data post Brexit could be illegal.

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Jul 2019 13:33

If the EU decides to not share any information about terrorist in the future then that can back fire on them too.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2019 14:26

People in the UK should try and get their head around the brutal fact that brexit is something the British govt is inflicting on the rest of the EU not the other way around. Yes, there are any number of very bad downsides and no upsides at all for most of the population.

Investment in the UK auto industry has dropped from £ 2.5bn pa to £ 80 M p.a.

Of around 800 companies involved in the UK aeronautical industry in the UK over 600 have transferred their safety registrations to the EU. The rest are in the course of doing so. Some have already shifted their factories most of the rest will do so if BoJo exits without a deal. Much the same is happening with big pharma.

Danton and Robespierre came to a bad end.

wake up

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Jul 2019 14:57

Rollo, did another of your threads get pulled or did you delete it?

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jul 2019 17:27

Joy Louise There was one pulled, for no reason that I could see.

The problem with far right parties ( or far left come to that, to be even handed) is that you can't base your approval or disapproval of them on the 'sensible' things they might say.

For eg, the BNP were quite active here before they became something else, and nothing in their official manifesto could possibly frighten the lefty horses, from reduction in crime, better housing, better environment, better transport links, more jobs, to a safe and prosperous country for heroes etc etc.

If that were all the far right were about, all we would remember about the Nazis is that they built some useful roads and had a nice line in stripped neoclassicist architecture.

If however they choose to blame a whole group of people for the actions of a few or of one, then it's another story isn't it?

https://tinyurl.com/y573ktwp

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2019 17:45

I have not deleted anything.
One of my post's was RRd so I reposted it. After a while the OP was reinstated.

Now my latest quite long post has disappeared.
I am of the opinion that Sue in Yorkshire is the guilty party.
She seems quite unable to take any sort of criticism of the Junta ir its current fuhrer.. I said that BoJo is a politician not a chicken farmer and should get on with it. My farming rellies vote leave but they did not vote to ave the country's economy destroyed. I said to them at the time that it would all end in tears.

I baited the hook with my rellies in N Yorkshire and the problems they have with their 100 year old sheep farms thanks to Brexit. SIY bit sooner than I had expected.

fwiw I have a good 'ol Yorkshire family name and know the county pretty well as a lot of my rellies live there.

:-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Jul 2019 17:56

For the record I didn't state that the party she stands for is good or anything..so no I'm not supporting a far right party.....but it was interesting to see that all is not sunshine and roses across the EU as we're lead to believe at times.
You can't tell me other countries aren't quietly watching to see what happens, hence the EU is making it as hard as possible.