General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I am getting nervous!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jul 2019 20:37

I have arthritis in both knees and in some fingers

The right knee has been steadily more painful and I was referred to hospital in jan to be told I have bone on bone arthritis and the only way is a total knee replacement

Was given an op date for May 22nd but asked for it to be rescheduled as we were going on holiday on 10th July that was just over the six week healing time

Sooo I am going into hospital next Thursday 8th for the op

I know it needs doing but I confess I am worried about the outcome and hope it means my mobility will be better

My granddaughter who lives fairly near me is taking a day off to take me in and bring me home hopefully 2days later
She is staying with me too for a couple of weeks after to make sure I will be ok

Can’t help being worried though that it may be a backward step !!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Jul 2019 20:40

You will never regret having it done Shirley. I have had both knees fully replaced and my quality of life is 100% better. All the best with it and just remember no matter how painful do all the exercises you are given <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jul 2019 20:51

Thanks

Yes I will do the exercises . Have already done an 8 week twice a week exercise class pre op designed to get you in optimum fitness pre op

I am still nervous though

Think I have lost some self confidence since loosing hubby cos we supported each other

Still feel a bit lost and unsure of myself at times

:-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 31 Jul 2019 20:57

Good Luck Shirley x :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Jul 2019 21:13

You will be fine Shirley and I am sure your Granddaughter will be a great support to you . I had the same sort of thoughts but I would now recommend the op to anyone because as I say it can make such a big difference.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jul 2019 21:15

Good luck Shirley hope all goes well with the op.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jul 2019 21:18

Thanks folks

It is boosting my confidence

:-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Jul 2019 21:19

Good luck Shirley.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jul 2019 21:39

Just musing

But it’s strange you are the more confident and organised when you are a couple

Hubby let me do all the organising after we discussed needs as I was the more organised and knowledgable and experienced one especially on computers

He was a manual worker I worked clerically for a multinational

So I was the strong organised one

But losing him I admit I have floundered and felt lost at times and lost some self confidence

I do question at times what I am doing

But I know he would say silly moo get on and get it done :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Jul 2019 21:40

Good luck but don't try and play football straight away :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Jul 2019 22:18

My brother has had both his knees done, and has a titanium shin (that's motorcycling for you :-S)
The only thing he can't do (apparently) is kneel to pray - but as he's never been religious it doesn't bother him :-D
Other than that - he too would recommend it!

Phyll

Phyll Report 1 Aug 2019 15:22

I am post knee replacement op by 6 weeks. My second knee Yes it is painful but by doing the exercises you will recover quite quickly. Just don't rush it. I am suffering badly with back ache but that is because I walked out of kilter for so long. Having physio to get unused muscles working again.

I wish you all the best for a good recovery. Try & relax before you go in & think of something nice.
Phyll

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Aug 2019 08:10

Thanks phyll, nice to hear you are recovering well

I too suffer with lower back pain
The sacrocial joint slips to one side then the bum muscles and waist ones tighten up to try and support
Getting a dowagers hump too from not standing upright most of the time

I go to the chiropractor every month to get it all realigned.

On our recent holiday I had several jacuzzi sessions and found it really helpful on my back .so much so I was able to walk further than normal without stopping

Am going to try general exercises and jacuzzi again after the knee is healed

Island

Island Report 2 Aug 2019 11:31

You'll be back on your feet faster than you can say 'nurse!' Shirley. Really ;-) :-D

My fella had both done (not at the same time) and had a good recovery. Exercise is key but don't overdo it.

All the best.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Aug 2019 15:19

Everyone I know who have been able to have a knee replacement have been very pleased with the results........Good Luck for the 8th, Shirley <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Aug 2019 19:45

Good luck with your operation you should be fine I know of people had it done & soon felt better all the best Shirley x

David

David Report 3 Aug 2019 20:23

Shirley, as an alternative to invasive surgery you can get silicon

injections into the knee joint.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Aug 2019 20:28

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement

Just need to get it done and over with now

David . The consultant I saw after looking at the xrays said he could offer injections but he didn’t think it was an option in my case as wouldn’t be of any help

I have bone on bone arthritis

Replacement knee surgery was the only way

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Aug 2019 20:33

Those injections never did anything for me as they were too far gone. The ops were the best thing that happened to them, no more agonising pain day and night

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Aug 2019 20:45

Hope all has gone well for you Shirley I am thinking of you, <3 <3 trust me you will not regret having it done :-D