General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

activist!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Oct 2019 13:21

so now an activist has managed to get on board a flight to Dublin and marched up and down the plane haranguing passengers. How on earth did he get on board? what sort of security is that?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Oct 2019 13:26

To have security you have to pay people to be employed to do the job. Airports don't employ enough, neither do customs.

The police are overwhelmed because they have had to reduce numbers and who wants to bet the overstretched forces will be in action soon.

Cost cutting shouldn't put the country at risk but that happened years ago. :-\

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Oct 2019 13:28

True Pat and there were also loads of activists inside the terminal, but there were a lot of police as well. I just wondered how somebody could get on the aircraft. When we fly our boarding passes are checked time and again. Not sure if it would be any different to Dublin though?

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Oct 2019 13:29

He was a passenger so no reason why security would have been involved till he was on the plane?

""Aer Lingus can confirm that a passenger scheduled to travel on EI283 flight from London City to Dublin airport was removed from the flight due to disruptive behaviour on board."

"He manages to deliver a short protest statement on the flight: "I'm extremely sorry to disturb everybody here. We have two generations of human civilisation left if we carry on doing what we're doing." "

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-passengers-fury-extinction-rebellion-20550965

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 10 Oct 2019 13:34

Protesters were encouraged to buy flight tickets after security stopped anyone entering the airport without a ticket.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Oct 2019 15:03

Nothing to do with the Thomas Cook debacle, I suppose.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Oct 2019 16:18

Interesting comment, Dermot, because a friend and I have just phoned and booked a few days away on a coach trip and part of the spiel that the young lady was required to read out to me included the comment that if they went bust, we would be repatriated ..... from Wales!

It is good that firms are taking everything into consideration though.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Oct 2019 16:50

Welsh valleys - outstanding.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Oct 2019 16:51

Given the wreckage of our environment during the last 50 years at the hands of the farmers large scale fishing and big oil / plastics

Given the scant progress made on doing something about it

Given that the younger geneation - who will have to clear up the mess and pay for it - are mightily pi ssed off

today's direct actions cannot be surprising.

All the same any movement needs allies, fellow travellers and sympathisers. They won't serve their cause at all well with frolics on air liners.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Oct 2019 17:11

It must be wonderful to have nothing to do all day and plenty of time to do it in.

I think it's about time they shifted their focus to those countries who refuse to sign up to 'the pledge' and those whose manufacturing methods don't even give a nod to clean air and the environment.

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Oct 2019 17:23

As I see it, If I said to 'the people' well this is a life threatening situation, say a disease that we know there is a cure for. you'd not expect me to be saying "I'll have done something about it in 30 years time". You'd want me to address it now, while there is still time to save you?

I don't nec' think this is the right way to go about it, but something has to be done,IF our species is to survive ( personally, in a general sense, I'm really not that bothered if it does...there are other species I'd rather save first!) :-D

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 10 Oct 2019 18:19

JoyLouise. I agree with you wholeheartily. Do these protesters not have jobs? Do they realise that all the traffic that they are holding up is polluting the air. They are all on their mobile phones and in tents that are not biogradable. Are they all wearing biogradable clothes. :-S

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 10 Oct 2019 18:30

Here here Joy :-D :-D :-D

What bothers me is..while many of the Metro Force is in use policing the activist...plus the large crowds etc..... is it not an ideal opportunity for those undesirables should they wish to move around our Capital City undetected and get up to their dastardly deeds

:-( :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 10 Oct 2019 18:38

They should go to the Rainforests and stop the mass destruction there as that most certainly causes major problems. :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Oct 2019 18:47

Ah I had not seen that he was a passenger with a ticket on the news report I saw.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Oct 2019 18:54

Am I missing something here?

All these activists who want to save the planet, which I'm
all for, travel by car, transport, planes etc.
We all do our bit but they seem to be making it worse by
the way they are going about it imo.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 10 Oct 2019 19:01

And don't forget that by causing traffic jams they increasing the pollution by lord knows how many times :-|

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 10 Oct 2019 19:04

Possibly pop into McD for a snack and drink.

Never see them having a sit down protest in these places.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Oct 2019 23:45

It always amazes me that these protesters have time to protest. They obviously don't have jobs because if they did, what employer would allow them to take time off when ever they feel like it.
So if they have no jobs, then what do they survive on? Benefits maybe?

They run the risk of getting arrested and then having a criminal record. What normal. decent human being would want that?

How jolly dare they interfere with the day to day business of ordinary folk, causing chaos. That will not save the planet!

They would be better doing some sort of voluntary work clearing rivers and streams helping wildlife or helping farmers picking the harvest!

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2019 00:19

Well, they've achieved something - you're talking about it! :-D