General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Typical

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 08:37

After umpteen days of extremely hot weather, today was fantastic.

Cool, steady light rain; beautiful.

Except that at 2.00pm we had a power cut :-|

I'm assuming that the cause was 'dust on the power poles.' The rain causes the dust to short-out the conductors.

A couple of hours later, we have had the power restored :-|

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 Dec 2019 09:31

That's good news, Allan .....not about the power cuts but the rain:-)

Hope the rain helps to dampen the bushfires <3

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 09:53

It will help in WA, but not over East where they have been burning for weeks :-(

It has been a horror start to Summer in Oz :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Dec 2019 10:35

Burning bright
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_companies_of_Australia

My niece and her children live nr Brisbane and have a very hostile view of the current shambles of a government in Canberra and even more the coal companies.

While the mines cannot be shifted offshore the ownership certainly can with Indian companies for instance highly involved.

India, Indonesia, China ... Australia

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 10:45

Sorry, I'm still trying to work out the connection of your post with the current bushfires, Rollo :-S

In the words of Pauline Hanson, 'Please explain'

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Dec 2019 10:57

The thing he never can do!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2019 11:00

Allan, it is known as attention seeking methinks

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 11:10

Sheesh, LG, I wish that I had that gift :-( :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2019 11:14

Be thankful we don't Allan ;-) :-D we would lose more friends than we gained for sure :-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 11:23

:-D :-D :-D@LG

Living as I do not 40 kilometres from the town Of Collie, the only producer of coal in WA, I am aware of the Indian connection with the mines, and also some of the most audacious proposals and rip-offs perpetrated by some of that ethnicity.

This couple were interested in the North of WA.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/billionaire-indian-couple-dreamed-of-building-australias-biggest-home-tajonswan-20160323-gnp6va.html

But again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the weather
:-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Dec 2019 11:58

It is has been raining here too but now just murky and grey ( definitely to do with the weather) :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2019 15:48

But here the clouds have shifted and the sun is just out. It doesn't take much to please us. And.... isn't Saturday the longest day so we can start looking forward.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Dec 2019 15:52

The shortest day - that is shortest daylight hours is Sunday so we'll soon notice it getting lighter at night :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Dec 2019 17:08

Unless you're downunda! :-D

The lack of decent twilight hours make for eerie drives homes in flat country lamp-less areas - something I always enjoyed.

Doncha just love those civil/public service 'please explains', Allam. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Dec 2019 20:38

Yep! Pauline is a Senator from Queensland who has had various incarnations, including jailbird for electoral fraud, although she did eventually get away with that on appeal.

I don't follow her politics, but she is always worth watching and listening to. A natural comedian, although she thinks that she is being serious. A bit like Boris :-D :-D

Sunday, as you quite rightly point out, will be our longest day. Dawn is currently about 0430 :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Dec 2019 02:25

Glad to hear you had a slightly better weather day today Allan...rain beats heatwave any time

Allan

Allan Report 20 Dec 2019 03:49

We did in WA, Caroline, but unfortunately the Eastern States are still copping the heat.

Not only horrific fires, but yesterday two young Firies were killed while fighting the fires, both with very young families :-( :-(

RIP

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Dec 2019 04:42

That's awful Allan, the fires have made our news over here. Tough job at the best of times.

RIP

Allan

Allan Report 20 Dec 2019 09:06

We often take our Volunteers for granted. :-(

There have been many instances of Volunteers' homes being razed to the ground whilst they have been helping to save others.

Tragic times!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Dec 2019 11:54

I have been following the news re the fires very closely as I have a cousin who although lives 50 miles away he works at Sydney University and has been emailing me telling how the air quality is affecting everybodys daily lives.

Seeing it on the television, just so so awful.Really brave of all the volunteers and emergency services risking their lives to save others. Puts everything into prospective really.

Florence In the hebrides