General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lockdown

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2020 13:28

We are in lockdown for three months.

OH has had the letter but I am expecting one as we have the same and I feel it sensible to not go out and pick up lurg anyway.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Mar 2020 13:44

Sorry to read this.
I bet you could be self-sufficient for a good while, but I hope there is local help available if you need it.

A certain feline will be pleased.............

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2020 13:48

Looks as though there will be a lot of dishcloths available eventually.

Keep strong

Island

Island Report 31 Mar 2020 14:00

I wish we had a letter. Both have health issues - I'm more likely to catch it and he'd be a goner if he got it. I'd happily stay home for twelve weeks, plenty to do.

Do you have a garden Sharron? I feel for those who don't have their own bit of outdoors at the best of times.

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2020 14:16

Maybe you will get your letter,Island, we have only just had ours.

There are several million dishcloths already available and we do have a garden. There is also a great deal of fabric I bought to finish the patchwork so there may well be another and I do have all my medieval stuff to do so I will survive.

He might if I let him too!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Mar 2020 17:08

:-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 31 Mar 2020 17:17

Plenty of yarn, fabric, paints etc here too Sharron. I thought I'd just dive in and be happy as Larry but motivation went social distancing :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2020 17:36

I have planted the dwarf runner beans and scattered some lettuce seeds on a tray for salad leaves.

Here beginneth the lockdown.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 31 Mar 2020 19:14

You can register yourself or someone else if you have have a condition that fits the criteria for a vulnerable adult and you have to do the 3mth lockdown.
gov.uk has info needed.

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2020 19:58

We had the doctor's letter.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Mar 2020 20:28

We have to stay home for 12 weeks as we fit the age group over 70 (and some) but we are not in the shielded vulnerable group so we have to rely on help with shopping but no letter. Luckily we have a good neighbour and a couple of other friends offering help. No relatives nearby.. in our village though there is a large network of volunteers to help with shopping. Organised by local councillor.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 20:54

Stay safe all of you ...........

and please, no disposing of OHs :-D :-D

Thought I do understand the occasional temptation! ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 31 Mar 2020 22:20

Stay safe, all.

No such restrictions YET in Oz but they may come. If they do I'll have to comply as I'm over seventy with a chronic health condition, but OH should be OK as she is not quite 'at a certain age' :-D :-D

If we have to self quarantine from each other we'll just pretend we've had one of our arguments. :-(

But then again, we may not have to pretend ;-) :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 31 Mar 2020 22:26

Here in Ontario, they've advised over 70's to stay home completely.

Stay safe all of you :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Mar 2020 22:49

Well I am keeping quiet doing my own thing we are making own meals. Oh is 79 in a couple of weeks known him since he was 22 .if he behaves leaves me alone we should get through it just about , twelve weeks is a long time though ;-) :-D stay safe all x

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 1 Apr 2020 00:27

My 12 week letter arrived today because I’m special :-D

I hope everyone who is stuck indoors copes with the forced confinement and manages not to throttle anyone else holed up with them ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Apr 2020 09:06

No letter here but I have registered OH. We are both 75+ and he has health issues, one of which is COPD. It is not severe but it does affect him even though he has always tried to build up his lung strength to try to avoid using the small inhaler he has been prescribed.

Our two-week self-isolation period ended at weekend (we did not wait for Boris who was several days behind us). We did it properly, separate bedrooms, separate bathrooms, lounge for me and family room for him. We had to share the kitchen but we made sure that only one of us was using it at a time - fortunately he can cook, but I did cook dinners for both of us for two or three days and took mine to the dining table leaving him the kitchen table.

I was pretty sure I had not contracted the Coronavirus because I had no temperature and my taste and smell always goes when I have a cold but I had to speak to our doc in the middle of that period about a clinic OH is due to attend. I also told her that I had developed a little cough, a runny nose and lost my sense of taste and smell a couple of days into our self-isolation and her advice was to play it safe and do another seven days living as we were. After speaking to the doc, OH began to sneeze, had a runny nose and a little cough. The penny dropped and he said I think it's hay fever from which both of us suffer!

Now we are back to what is going to pass as normality for a few months!

OH made an off-the-cuff remark that did make me laugh on Monday.

The day before we self-isolated, daughter bought him a pop-up, small, walk-in greenhouse with shelving on two sides, compost and a variety of plants. He is pottering about quite happily, taking the temperature there every day (been over 36 degs a couple of times), but on Monday he came in from the garden and said, 'Some things are beginning to shoot. A farmer's life is a busy one!' :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Apr 2020 13:52

Francis isn't the first pope who has faced 'lockdown'.
(Catholic Herald).

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Apr 2020 13:59

Eighty-two days ad a breakfast.

Island

Island Report 1 Apr 2020 14:04

I'm special too Sue :-D Got my letter today.

Now what do I do with it? :-S :-S

It's a double edged sword. 1) It makes me feel that I'm being looked and don't have to fret about getting my meds but 2) it makes me feel I'm ready for the knackers yard :-0 :-(