General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who's sick of their children already?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Apr 2020 14:37

I am stunned, amazed ... but certainly not speechless when I heard this!

One team of scientists has said that closing schools has marginal impact. Ha! That'll be the team which is already fed up and going barmy with their children being at home.

Other scientists have said the closing schools is important. I am firmly behind the second lot.

I think the first lot are a bit loose up top, to say the least.

How will hordes of children mixing together and using trains and buses five days a week, popping into places for drink and food on their way to and from school not have more than a marginal impact. Who would want their children and others exposed to such an unnecessary risk?

Of course that sick-of-our kids group may be useless at training their children to do the homework their schools set. That same group may also want to reduce our population numbers quickly. It may believe that exposure in children will produce more antibodies - never mind how many will die or spread the virus to under-school-age tots, parents, grandparents and other adults. Or they may belong to the conspiracy brigade.

Lost the plot completely in my opinion. Driven round the bend by their children already.

They may not be bothered about their children's health and it certainly appears that they have no regard for the general public but FGS, I hope our overworked health and care staff slap them down with a piece of reality.

As I wrote, I am stunned!

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Apr 2020 14:45

Only the poor can afford to have many children.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Apr 2020 14:52

From what I can see the two of our grandchildren who have children are enjoying the challenge and are doing all sorts of things with them. Great Granddaughter is enjoying home school so much she didn't want to stop for Easter break. Some of the things the parents come up with are really imaginative. I am sure when I was their age I would not have had the patience.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Apr 2020 15:27

I am not keen on children so I didn't have any, they are not compulsory anymore.

So many people who did choose to have children have not even taken the time to get to know and relate to them.

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 Apr 2020 15:53

Children are part of your family you can do so much at home baking. cooking. go through your life story with them .write a memory book read proper books to them small. household chores keeping their rooms tidy play in the garden if you have one play old fashioned games it's a bad time for all but be positive treasure every day.they can listen to music watch TV .stay safe All Barbara during normal times some parents probably won't see their children to busy working keeping up with their neighbours.they wander the streets till all hours .selfish parent's who will be in total shock now omg what do we do Plonkers. SCHOOLS SHOULD STAY SHUT !!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2020 16:02

So true, Sharron! :-(

My eldest works for the NHS.
She has 3 children, two boys, (J) aged 9 and (G) aged 11, and a daughter (B) - who turned 18 yesterday! Her sons could have carried on going to school - but one didn't want to - also there's still the possibility of cross infection.

B was at college, but worked part time in a local pub, and at a sandwich shop.
College and both jobs have stopped - so she's home-schooling her brothers!

Don't think she'll be easy on them - she will be loving, helpful - but won't take any truck! :-D
B did the DofE. For her 'volunteering' stint, she helped out at the cub pack her brothers went to - and was asked to stay on, as the boys (not just her brothers) 'did what she told them to do' :-D :-D :-D :-D

Hilary

Hilary Report 7 Apr 2020 16:13

My son has 2 children, aged 7 & 2 & he is enjoying spending time with them as they only get the weekends with them, doing lots with them & I see them a couple of times on video call. As for saying schools not closing, I do school runs with my grandson & he is in an old village school, his classroom is right down the bottom, they are not thinking of us who do school runs as it is impossible to social distance untill we get in the playground. They should just enjoy them as they grow up so fast. My 2 year old grandaughter will be so grown up when I see them again.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Apr 2020 16:21

I'm like Sharron - didn't want any, my OH is older than me and has 3. His younger son has twin girls, aged 8, they seem to be having a good time, luckily both parents can work from home and they have a nice garden. We've always commented on their excellent parenting skills, I don't think I would have had the patience! :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Apr 2020 18:36

I maybe selfish but I’m missing my grandchildren and
great grandchildren.
I see them everyday by FaceTime but do miss the hugs and kisses
and all their news.
They seem to be coping but they do miss their friends and rest of family :-)

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Apr 2020 20:53

Some of my brownies have no grip of reality thanks to their parents. Their parents have never spent much time with their children. Most of my brownies are from property rich cash poor families in an area where a two bedroom flat is offers over £400,000. One girl when asked what she might be at Halloween answered I don’t know yet but my mummy will give me her credit card and let me buy whatever I want. Another brownie goes home to an empty house every night and has her own bus pass which she uses at weekends to go to the museum, the cinema or just into town as her parents give her money to give them peace. They throw money at them rather than time. Now isn’t any different the parents are shut in a room working from home and the children are left to do whatever they want.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2020 21:10

I don't know personally of any parents who are tired of their kids, but I know several who are struggling ..............

............ because they really don't know how to teach the kids the lessons they learn these days. I had the same when trying to help my daughter. I was in my 40s trying to help a 10 year old with math ......... taught very differently than when I was in school in another country. Math is taught differently now than it was 20 years ago. Reading is taught very differently in many places!!

............ because they have a child who really needs to get outside for fresh air and to get rid of excess energy. But they can't go out because all the parks have been closed, sidewalks are too narrow to safely walk two by tow, or to pass anyone else. You can only tell a child to run round the garden so many times!.

.......... because they have a special needs child who is able to go to school but needs more attention to help him/her learn. They're not getting any relief. The child probably had a learning assistant/teacher's aide in school as well as the teacher.

I can hear some of those parents getting very tired of their child/ren.

Please don't let me hear too many people moan about not being able to hug your grandchild ............... remember those of us who live like that year round, seeing them only for a few days once a year.

Now you know how we might feel! Especially now, when who knows how long it will be before we can leave home or travel, or for them to travel to us. We're talking about them being hundreds or thousands of kilometres away.

I'm not the only one on these boards in that situation.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Apr 2020 21:15

I wasn’t moaning Sylvia I was stating a fact.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 7 Apr 2020 22:05

Dear All

Hello

Never could be tired of the saucepan lids. <3

Take gentle care all
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2020 03:56

Emma ...........

I was also stating a fact

It will come to an end for you.

Barbra

Barbra Report 8 Apr 2020 11:15

It's a shame that some people have to be pedantic at this time we are all missing our relatives .saw family begining of March our youngest Son is still working .eldest at home Two Neices one works in a pharmacist & takes prescription to people .Eldest one is a nurse in Manchester her daughter works in a care home the other in secure unit for mental health people they are all working worry about them all .goodness knows when we will see them again they have children of their own so Great Auntie Barbara misses them .they are helping each other & are very close families we have no grandchildren but love our family to bits we are all suffering not seeing families keep chatting to them tell them you love them we will get through this <3 <3 lovely photo Emma you must be so proud of them all x

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 8 Apr 2020 11:35

Yes Barbra am proud of them all as we all are of our families.

Take care of yourselves and fingers crossed we get back to
how it used to be x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 27 Apr 2020 14:58

..... Further news today.

Doctors are seeing a number of cases involving children with Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome thought to be connected to CV-19.

It's a darned good thing that our schools did not open their doors to all children again.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2020 15:02

Yes I have just seen that joylouise. Worrying.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Apr 2020 15:06

Praising children excessively can do more harm than good, especially to those with low self-esteem. (Times 03.01.14).

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 27 Apr 2020 18:36

My daughter has been diagnosed with the virus and sent home to recover. She lives alone, a hundred miles from us and it is a bit of a worry. She sent a text today to say that she is feeling much better at last. She at least has a circle of good friends, one of whom handed her a pizza through her window.