General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not Again!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2020 03:35

As if the storm two weeks ago wasn't bad enough, we are expecting further severe storms again this weekend :-(

https://tinyurl.com/ya6d7x6m

Last time a storm of this nature hit (2012) we lost our other fence and the garage door.

This front is expected to hit Sunday and last until Wednesday

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 May 2020 03:39

Hope things aren't as bad as expected Allan

Been a bit wet and windy here but nothing to worry about.

Take care

Lizx.

Allan

Allan Report 23 May 2020 03:43

Thanks, Liz. :-)

We are still cleaning up after the last storm and waiting for some repairs, but hopefully the house has been made waterproof by some emergency work to the roof.

Hopefully we won't have to find out how good the repairs to the roof have been.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 May 2020 03:49

Fingers crossed for you, Allan xx

Barbra

Barbra Report 24 May 2020 16:09

Hello just heard on the news Cyclone hit Perth Western OZ hope Allan & family are okay know he lives in west OZ not good news for those involved Barbara x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 May 2020 16:43

Immediately thought of you Allan when I heard what you were expecting. I hope you managed to escape without too much damage

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 May 2020 16:45

My cousin in Perth said they were going to batten down the hatches, not good for her she hates the noise.
Hope you are ok Allan.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 May 2020 17:39

Hope you are OK, Allan. xxx

It sounded pretty bad on our news.

Allan

Allan Report 24 May 2020 21:37

Thank you all for your concern :-)

Yesterday never really brightened up and we needed the lights on for most of the time. We managed to secure most objects outside by putting them into the garage. This included our three waste bins.

The rain started about two o'clock, not really heavy at first. By then Perth had already copped a lashing, as had Geraldton further North.

By eight o'clock the wind here had picked up and hasn't ceased since :-(

The gusts have been horrendous and I'm not even going to try and guess the speed of them.

It's still too dark outside to see if any more damage has occurred since the last storm.

To have two in such close proximity in time is extremely unusual.

This particular weather event has had, or will have, an impact on over a thousand kilometres of coast line.

This has also occurred just as some of the internal travel restrictions put in place due to COVID have been lifted and many people have hit the road for some holiday time :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 May 2020 22:23

Stay safe Allen.

Allan

Allan Report 24 May 2020 22:28

Thanks, Ann :-)

Fortunately we still have power. The last we heard was that over 18,000 homes, some in Geraldton and some in Perth had no power.

And that constant moaning wind is getting on my proverbials! :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2020 23:19

Fingers crossed for you!

Barbra

Barbra Report 24 May 2020 23:20

Good to see you posting stay safe both of you .Barbara :-)

Allan

Allan Report 24 May 2020 23:48

Thanks, Barbra and Maggie. :-)

OH has gone back to bed but I've still got the old chook for company :-D

We brought her in last night as the chook yard and house is not very secure. The hen is well past her laying days and her friends have all died (due to natural causes) but we keep her as a pet :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 May 2020 23:58

Stay safe Allan.

I hope the storm passes and leaves you no more structural damage.

It sounds as if it is affecting a wide area.

Allan

Allan Report 25 May 2020 00:06

Thanks, Gwyn, it is.

It's the result of an ex-cyclone from the Cocos Islands interacting with a series of cold fronts which are all along the coast. The rain has reached as far inland as Kalgoorlie which is about 800 kms East of Perth.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2020 01:04

Good grief. that's quite the storm!

I wonder if our friends from Perth had decided to take advantage of the lifting of travel restrictions to go down to their place in Denmark.

Our news this morning (about 9 hours ago) said Carnarvon was about to get hit.

Stay safe xxx

Allan

Allan Report 25 May 2020 01:54

Not sure, Sylvia.

The original forecast was landfall at Carnarvon yesterday (Sunday) then the storm front would move North and South with the main effects in coastal areas. although we had rain throughout the day yesterday the storm hit Bunbury in the late evening and is still continuing.

Not much relief for your friends if they did go to Denmark as the storm was also forecast to reach at least Albany and possibly Esperance.

Number of homes without power is now up to 50,000 and the weather conditions are making it unsafe for any work to be undertaken on fallen power lines.

The remains of our boundary fence from the last storm were smashed last night, but as far as we can tell there has been no further damage to the house although there is still a small leak under the area that was supposed to have been fixed but nothing like the waterfall which had previously

We will contact the insurers later once the storm has passed

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2020 03:05

I do hope that your damage is only the boundary fence.

I though that if the storm was stretching so far, that it might well include Denmark! But it was really musing to myself, as you couldn't possibly know our friends!!!!

Allan

Allan Report 25 May 2020 09:02

Weather still very poor, but so far only our dividing (Boundary fence) seems to have been affected.

https://tinyurl.com/ychgo4j4

You never know, Sylvia :-)

WA is a very large State, covering a third of the Australian land mass, but the population is extremely sparse meaning that the chances of knowing someone is so much greater, as I know from experience ;-)