General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Colour

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jun 2020 17:56

We watched what should have been the trooping of the colour this morning. All the essential bits were there, it was trooped, which is what really matters, but, other than that, it was very different.

It was a little old lady sitting alone in he smart clothes while some men in funny clothes walked up and dpwn on her lawn playing music.

She did look very sadly like Lizzie Nomates wanting to shout "Bugger awf and get off my lawn!"

Dermot

Dermot Report 13 Jun 2020 18:06

Mob rule spoils everything. A long hot summer in prospect. Foreign holidaymakers will probably boycott the UK - and could you blame them! :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jun 2020 18:11

Dermot, I think you'll find the Trooping of the Colour was done in the way it was, because of the pandemic!
You know - that 'thing' that has been around for 6 months or more?

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Jun 2020 18:17

You wouldn't want that royal mob all out there now would you?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jun 2020 18:31

:-D :-D :-D
Those darned guards - murder when they get together! :-D

I thought it was sweet.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Jun 2020 19:08

They can march round my garden anytime they like :-D

Always liked a man in uniform ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jun 2020 19:09

Emma :-D :-D :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Jun 2020 19:17

Going to miss the Edinburgh Tattoo this year Maggie :-)

Allan

Allan Report 13 Jun 2020 22:07

Hmm...…….the guards have a certain reputation, deserved or not ;-)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 13 Jun 2020 22:34

I thought it was very tasteful, and in keeping with the current situation and limitations.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 03:32

a bit of it was shown on our TV news, and I thought it was very fitting for the covid-19 situation.

I thought the Queen looked quite happy and pleased.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jun 2020 11:52

I think the Queen looked happy too, Sylvia, and she was 'turned out' nicely. . She seemed relaxed too.

I wonder what she was thinking of? Other livelier occasions, perhaps, or where the heck was Phil, or even, good to get some peace from the family at last? :-S

All or none of those things? :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jun 2020 12:43

I think she actually enjoyed it, she was smiling and had a twinkle in her eye. She said something at one point and smiled, I would have loved to say what she said. Being clever you can't lip read her comments. I loved the colour of her outfit as well. And I thought it was very well done given the current circumstances. The Guards are to be complemented on managing to change the way they march etc to accommodate the 2 metre rule.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jun 2020 13:01

I agree, Ann, they must have practised to the nth degree.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 17:48

I thought that as well!

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Jun 2020 20:10

Well I'm sure she had more fun watching them on her lawn than reading the newspapers these days :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jun 2020 22:18

or reading her daily Red Box!

I saw online that Princess Anne will be out in public on either Monday or Tuesday, and that Prince Charles and Camilla will be meeting Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday or Wednesday (ie one day later) ......... he's on some sort of State Visit.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2020 10:54

Oh dear, RTR, you're obviously unaware that the Queen's Guards are all trained for combat, and they have often come back from fighting/on support duties elsewhere in the world to serve as guards, and when that’s over, they’ll go back again.
So not the 'Chocolate box soldiers' you think they are.

But why let that spoil your cynicism and 'I can google youtube' moment.
Perhaps you should try googling something to check your facts before making a 'smart *rse' comment that may offend some people.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2020 11:08

Does Rollo think we have forgotten the Sir Galahad, the bravery of Simon Weston and the rest of the Welsh Guardsmen.
Yesterday was the anniversary of the end of the Falklands war.

This happened in the lifetime of many of us.

The ensign carrying the colours had just returned from Belize. Many of those on parade had been involved in the war on COVID 19.

Edit. Whilst there were Welsh soldiers at Rorkes Drift they were not Welsh Guards as they didn’t come into being until 1915

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2020 18:00

Like maggie and nlo ......... I believe anyone with any sense knows that the Welsh Guards and ANY other regiment who fulfills the ceremonial role of guarding the Queen, whether that be Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace or participating in the Trooping of the Colour or playing a musical instrument in the Regimental Band is first and foremost a FIGHTING Regiment.

That's even when, gasp, they come from overseas .............. such as Australia, Canada, or another Commonwealth country, as has happened several times in recent times.

Only an ignoramus would have had to google to find that out.

One should also know that it is not the same regiment that parades its Colour in front of the Monarch every year ............ the regiments making up the Queen's troops take it in turn to march their colours past her.

It just happened to be the turn of the Welsh Guards this year.