General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Haven’t they heard of contraception???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Sep 2020 16:16

My friends grandchild is pregnant, didn’t think it would happen, really.!?!?
There are plenty of different methods contraception, the best one being to abstain from sex until you are married and have somewhere to live FIRST.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Sep 2020 16:29

Thought they taught all that at school nowadays.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Sep 2020 16:35

To be fair, HE should have worn a condom - that's the only way to stop the spread of STD's. (apart from abstinence - but that's unlikely to happen with teenagers!)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Sep 2020 16:36

No room at the inn ?

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2020 17:03

I remember doing an evening class in my mid-thirties. Another student was a district nurse.

I had no children but that didn't stop her giving me a little talk about contraception.

Did she think I had been saving myself?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Sep 2020 17:10

Maggiewinchester. they aren’t teenagers and knew what they were doing.

RTR, she is one of 5 children so in my opinion want to leave home but expecting the council to house her and live on benefits.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Sep 2020 18:00

Child benefit is now limited to the first two children while there is a cap for UC. This cap mostly affects BAME households in our big cities and is a root cause of why it is so hard to get covid-19 under control.

Contraception is forbidden by most of the world's major religions while advocating it in many countries ( inc parts of the USA ) can lead to legal and/or job sanctions up to and including the death penalty though not in the UK of course excepting N.I..

IMHO how many children a couple have and whether they choose to be formally married or not is their own business. That said they should not expect other people to foot the bill or use their growing family as a means with which to jump the queue for social housing. The loss of social housing kicked off by Thatcher is one of this country's fundamental problems.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Sep 2020 18:02

So they've been together for a while? In their 20's?
Chances of getting Social housing is low, and Benefits are just about enough to survive on, not 'live' on - which should have been noticed in the media etc.

They're just following a long tradition that many of us have discovered in our families, over the years, doing genealogy! :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Sep 2020 19:00

'Abstinence has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried!"
(GK Chesterton):

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Sep 2020 19:03

Just an idea which may mean it is right for the couple concerned. It was 'they didn't think it would happen to them' that made me think.

Has anyone thought that the female in question may know conception could be difficult or nearly impossible for her due to a condition, for example cystic ovarian syndrome or something whereby fertility is extremely low and could drop to zero very quickly?

I never had a child until my late-20s but if I had discovered that I had a fertility-threatening condition which meant by my mid-twenties I was unable to have children, I would have been trying in my teens if I wanted a family.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2020 19:07

We can all speculate and judge but not one of us knows the full detail of this situation.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Sep 2020 19:31

One of our close family fell pregnant while she was on the pill. Unfortunately she was put on a course of antibiotics which stopped it working, the doctor didn't warn her that it was a possible side effect.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Sep 2020 07:58

I fell pregnant with my son the first week of trying. I was 34.

I warned o.h.'s future d.i.l (32). but she also fell pregnant the first fortnight of trying for a baby just after they got engaged. They got married a month before baby arrived. From engagement to wedding to baby's birth, all completed within 10 months! They were both in work and had a home tho!

Lizx

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Sep 2020 10:36

My “auntie” Anne was born in the July and she got married in the December of the year she turned 22. At her wedding there was a six month old baby and a few people who hadn’t seen Anne in a while asked so who’s the baby then????? The baby was Anne’s sister. At 42 Anne’s mum was convinced it wouldn’t happen as she was too old to have a baby.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Sep 2020 10:42

I’ve since learned that it was intended that she get pregnant to get a council house.

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Sep 2020 10:52

My mother in law is 16 and 12 years younger than her sisters. At 38 their mum went to the doctor and was told that at 38 she was too old to be pregnant now. Two further trips to the doctor ensued and on the third visit she said doctor I’ve had to add 4” to the waistband of my skirt and my diet hasn’t changed I’m pregnant. The doctor still vehemently said that at 38 she was to old to be pregnant but he’d send her to the nurse to set her mind at rest. The nurse said “Congratulations your five months pregnant and I’ll have a word with the doctor”.

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Sep 2020 11:03

A lot of young girls seem to think that’s a good idea ZZzzz. They don’t seem to realise the reality or the extra expense this will add to their lives. My cousin had a baby six months ago. The baby still only sleeps for half an hour at a time leading to exhausted parents who are still trying to keep on top of running the house.

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Sep 2020 07:40

'Virgin Birth' -

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Sep 2020 08:24

Dodgy ground, Dermot. :-0

Redundant men. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Sep 2020 09:00

I feel sorry for the babies, they will grow up knowing they were wanted but for the wrong reasons.