General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's the strangest/cutest thing

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Aug 2021 16:59

You've dug up from - or buried in - your garden?

I'll start.
My dad buried a piano in our garden :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Aug 2021 17:04

When my late parents house was sold it was radically changed. I wonder what the new owners thought when they dug up the patio.

I don’t recall any bodies, but there were all our outgrown bikes and anything else Dad could find to save money on the infill.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Aug 2021 17:11

Have to admit, there are 4 cats, and 2 guinea pigs buried in my last garden - but I did forget to bring the cat 'statue' that sits over them - so they're forewarned!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Aug 2021 17:12

I’d forgotten about the pets.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Aug 2021 21:53

Well nothing exciting as we are the only people to have lived in this house from new, but the was a lot of builders rubble which we didn't find for a few months as we moved in in December.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 12:14

It's a bit presumptuous to assume every strange article found in a garden - be it anywhere, not just London, was 'due to laziness or avoiding disposal costs'.

As Nameslessone said, her parents used bikes as landfill - which is where they would have ended up anyway!!

My dad brought the piano all the way from my grans, and buried it in the garden to raise a section of the garden!

I buried my animals in the garden, as I always show a living animal their dead 'mate', so they know they're dead and don't wonder where they've gone, and fret over them.
Must be difficult if you live in a flat, though.

I went to Durrington Walls years ago. On the trek over there, under a tree, I came across a pile of Victorian/Edwardian rubbish, that had been burnt.
I found the most amazing heat altered glass bottle, and a few that didn't catch the heat.
It was nowhere near habitation, so I presume the bin men of the time just dumped it there 'out of laziness'! :-D :-D

..or perhaps it was travellers, clearing their site, before moving off.

In 2017, remnants of a Norman Abbey where Alfred the Great was buried were found in two gardens in Winchester. I mean, that's just damned laziness, burying an Abbey in, not just one, but TWO gardens! :-D :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Aug 2021 12:44

So my parents were lazy and tight fisted Londoners. Gee, thanks

They were building a huge raised patio with 2 or 3 deep steps to garden level and you are saying that decent people would not have used what they had around them to try and infill it. Maybe they should also have disposed of the rockery it was replacing elsewhere. There was no vehicle access to the rear due to a large garage, just two side paths, so how would they have got all the lorry loads of infill to the site of the patio.

Insufferable………..

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 12:50

If you want instant negativity and casual put-downs - just wait for RTR to respond!

Methinks 'The Man In the High Castle' should get down off the pedestal he's put himself on.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 12:51

Insulting as usual.

My parents and I must have been tight fisted too or else preferred to feed and clothe us instead of spending on the garden:-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 13:04

LaGooner - You mean you weren't a 'bygone Londoner', for whom a lack of gardening appears to be acceptable to 'The Man In the High Castle' ?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Aug 2021 13:04

I,ve been discussing the approximate size of the patio with my OH. He reckons it was about 80 square yards. About 2 1/2 feet deep. Or huge in other words.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 13:13

That IS big! :-0

Do you know, the previous tenant left loads of bulbs buried in this garden.
I'm bl**dy furious, because I have to dig them all up.
They're grape hyacinths - which I don't really like.
They flowered in March - and that's it - a bare garden ever since - but they're EVERYWHERE :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Aug 2021 13:20

Bit like Schwarzenegger - they’ll be back!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 13:22

I am a bygone Londoner and we had a tidy garden with a huge veg patch and lovely flowers and we didn't get those by being lazy :-D. No fancy bits in it though as food on the table was more important

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Aug 2021 13:27

I really missed the fruit and veg from the veg patch when I left home. When I eventually got the chance I had a bit of a patch myself. Only a fraction of the size of the one I grew up with.
Nothing like the taste of home grown.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 13:32

I have not got one here thanks to the huge cedar tree on a neighbouring property that blocks the light and leaches all the goodness from the soil. I do have a couple of flowers borders which are away from it which do semi ok. I grow a few veg in tubs and herbs for cooking. Oh for a decent garden :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Aug 2021 13:34

Oh for a decent garden, a strong back and decent knees :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2021 13:37

:-D :-D :-D I'll second that . New knees aren't all they are cracked up to be in my case though :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Aug 2021 13:47

:-D :-D
I've got a small grass patch out the back - which I'll keep, as it's very private, and also, at the moment, Betty's toilet area :-|

There's a communal path, a 2ft high wall, then a bank, currently covered in long grass, which, when I've dug it over, will become a wild flower/cottage garden area, (minimum maintenence - it's a steep bank!) depending on the situation at the time, of the hedgehogs that stroll along it, from behind next door's garden.

Out the front, I have two large patches of grass, either side of the central front door.
No-one else has vegetables in their front garden, so I will put shrubs/flowers around the edges, and gradually deplete the grass, just in case the local 'no strangers here' brigade don't like it! :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Aug 2021 15:07

I think we should reverse where RTR lives so he will be in a dungeon, very apt. :-D :-D :-D