General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Turnip choice

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2021 14:39

Just doing a Sainsbury order.

As I scrolled over the the turnips and on to something more appealing, not much could be less so, I thought how good it is to be a grown up!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Oct 2021 15:46

:-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Oct 2021 16:25

Oh I hear you Sharron not having to eat things you just don't like...bliss...

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 22 Oct 2021 19:15

Ah the childlike disappointment of eating your Mum's stew/casserole, and biting into that potato and discovering it is a bit of turnip! Yuk. :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2021 20:26

I didn't even get it hidden in a casserole. Boiled turnip.

Turnip greens are even worse, nettles braised in ear wax!

Allan

Allan Report 22 Oct 2021 22:04

Strange, I enjoy turnips especially our home grown ones :-D

Swedes and parsnips on the other hand....No thank you

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Oct 2021 22:52

I thought turnips were cattle and sheep fodder - well they were in many places where I lived!
Give me swede any day.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Oct 2021 22:58

That's mangolds isn't it?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2021 00:06

Turnips too!
Both animal fodder as far as I'm concerned - and I'll eat almost anything - apart from soya and tofu (and turnips) :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2021 09:15

I do quite like a turnip in a beef stew and used to grow my own. Raely see them in the shops now - but swede - yuk!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2021 09:33

Can't have haggis without bashed tatties and swede.
I'm using the word 'swede' rather than 'neeps', as, depending on where you are, 'neeps' can be either swede or turnip.

That's my dinner tomorrow :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2021 10:27

Motowngal

Oh how that brought back memories of our mums stews

Everything but the kitchen sink went into it !

Ooh look a cube of potato yum .nope yuk was turnip !

Got caught many times and we had to eat what we put in our mouth too so no getting rid :-(

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Oct 2021 11:14

Shirley the disappointment was palpable! That and the pearl barley that was put in to thicken it. Slimy in the mouth. :-( :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2021 11:34

Oh, I loved barley in broth. Rarely make it myself as broth is not broth without barley and OH must not eat barley.

I prefer turnip, swede, potatoes and sweet potatoes roasted. I don't mind them mashed with butter either - but if someone else is cooking them I'll eat what is put in front of me! :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Oct 2021 11:53

I too love barley - and often add orange lentils to soup, stews and cottage/shepherds pie! The extra goodness for so little money is useful for those on a limited income.:-D

My elder daughter was once married to a chef, who was very disparaging of those who use beans and pulses - he reckoned he could always tell if they'd been added.
Just like to say, he never cooked at home.
Like her mother, when set a challenge,by a self opinionated idiot, eldest goes all out!
As the marriage deteriorated, the addition of beans or pulses to his meals, by my daughter increased.
She even added lentils to cakes, made lentil bread (which he STILL didn't realise was actually MADE OF LENTILS - to be fair, daughter didn't call it lentil bread, but being a chef, you'd think he would have noticed)!

He was so full of himself, he never once realised. :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2021 12:00

Maggie - incorrigible, but I like it! :-D :-D :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Oct 2021 12:04

Maggie I had forgotton the orange lentils! They were bunged in too. :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2021 12:09

And split peas!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Oct 2021 12:28

I'll eat turnip, but wouldn't choose it too often....

Daughter and I were saying this week that the cooler weather calls for one of her, 'whats in the fridge' additions to a casserole.
The starting ingredients are skinned and boned chicken thighs, onion,carrots and maybe celery , then later pearl barley is added.
I found this strange at first, as I always thought of pearl barley as an addition to lamb / mutton, but it's actually OK, and the chicken is reasonably priced, so we make enough for 2 days and the results vary with whatever is in the fridge and needs using up.

No turnip though.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Oct 2021 12:57

I don't like/buy turnip but I do like swede, mashed as long as no hidden lumps), or roast. and in casseroles, stews. I do hate peeling it though, hard on your hands.