General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tumble Driers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Mar 2024 15:23

I don't have a tumble dryer but those of you who do might like to read this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68520796

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2024 16:10

I do have one, but never run it at night, and always clear out the filter and check and double check ( often triple check!) that it is off and safe before going anywhere. Also, and maybe more importantly check that neither of the cats has climbed in ( similarly with the washing machine, triple check and head count of cats first).

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 9 Mar 2024 16:33

Thanks for the link Andysmum,
I do have a dryer and clean the filter every time, mine has 2 filters and it amazing how much fluff is in there .

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Mar 2024 16:40

Thanks for the info Andysmum. I also have a tumble drier and clean out the filter every time I use it. I turn it to off at the dial and also switch off at the mains once I have finished with it.

I would never go out and leave it on though and I know of some that have and also leave it on at night!!! No not worth the risk.

If you are drying woollens or towels, it is amazing how much fluff accumulates in the filter.

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Mar 2024 16:40

That is concerning. Mainly because it actually doesn't say why the machine in this case caught fire. She says she turned the machine off. I wonder if she switched it off at the plug as well.

I do clean my filter and think I only have one filter. I had my machine checked over last year. I also always switch mine off at the plug when it is finished

I have heard of them catching fire when left on but not when switched off. And I wonder what make it was as there was a lot about certain ones catching fire a while ago.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Mar 2024 16:52

If it had 'only' been the fluff it might have burnt out with less damage if the door had been shut even, but it appears it was further fueled by the contents and some materials may have been particularly flammable? once it hits the plastic parts that's it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Mar 2024 17:40

I never have mine going unless I am in. If, on the odd occasion I have to pop out I turn it off and open the door.

I don’t leave my washing machine going either.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Mar 2024 17:51

After the disaster with my washing machine last Sunday, I'm glad I never go out and leave it on!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Mar 2024 18:18

Like Ann, I was hoping to read what had caused the fire.
I didn't understand about opening the machine door to let it cool.
My dryer cools before it finishes a cycle.
By folding or hanging garments straight away, I can get away with no ironing. :-D
Like the others here, I rid the filter of any fluff / lint every time I use it and never run it at night or leave it on when I go out.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Mar 2024 20:43

Gwyn, yes mine has a 10 min cooling down cycle so its never hot once its finished.

Maybe she had opened the dryer halfway through so it would have been hot and didn't switch off at the mains. Was the filter overfull? Whatever the cause, its a reminder to everyone that uses a tumble drier to take care.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Mar 2024 09:06

I always clean the filter after each use and don’t go out with it running, but it isn’t possible to switch it off at the socket because the switch is behind the machine. It only has the one filter at the front, but even taking the filter out each time, you can see a lot if fluff in the machine, so we use a skewer to get as much out as possible. It is a vented type and as we have just moved OH disconnected it and took the flexible hose off the back. He was quite concerned because he said that he could see a lot of fluff in the back of the machine. He got out as much as he could, but there is still more inside. We are just about to have a new kitchen in the new house, so are going to change the tumble dryer to a condensing heat pump type, so there will be no tube to collect the fluff

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2024 11:23

Mine is a built in washer dryer and have no idea if it has a filter as never seen one

The dryer program does a cool down at the end of a cycle

Plus I will do a rinse cycle after using the dryer program

Only really use it to dry my underwear on a warm cycle and towels on the hotter cotton cycle

Leave the door open for a couple of hours after too so it’s drys out

Had more of a problem one time with a smell of mould which took ages and many different wash cycles with cleaner etc to get rid

I stopped using washing pods and fabric softener as washing machine engineer said they don’t fully dissolve on the cooler washes

Most time I use the 40deg. Wash so doesn’t get hot enough

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2024 11:32

Our tumble dryer is vented and we always clear the collector but when we replaced it were a bit shocked to see how much was lining the venting tube.

Shirley, I’m confused. Why do a rinse after the dryer program? Your washing will be all wet again.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Mar 2024 11:35

Surely, you mean once all your washing is washed and dried and removed, you give the machine a rinse?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2024 11:39

Namelessone and Florence

I take the washing out !!

Do a rinse with an empty drum
:-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Mar 2024 11:51

Yes I do a rinse with soda crystals and an empty machine every now and then to clean all the pipes. My plumber recommended this.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Mar 2024 12:03

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Mar 2024 12:29

Mine is a condensing heat pump type. I have to empty the water collecting container regularly. But the machine won't run if that is full. I realised after I last posted that there is a type of second filter which I also check but the main filter collects the fluff. I never leave any of the machines running when I go out or to bed. Washing machine, dishwasher, tumble drier.
I can't switch the dishwasher or washing machine off at the plug as both are behind the machine and for the dishwasher I have to remove a large drawer.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 Mar 2024 12:39

The more I read of this thread, the more glad I am that I haven't got a tumble dryer.

I got the impression from the original article that the fluff was harmless as long as it stayed in the filter, but that it sometimes escaped and got into the machinery and then caught fire!

I also read, ages ago, that all the fluff comes off the items being dried and that sheets etc wear out much faster. :-(

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 10 Mar 2024 15:14

I’ve never heard that about things wearing out more quickly Andysmum but I’ve not noticed it and wonder if it’s really true.

There’s a risk of fire with any electrical equipment but used properly the risk is minimal. The trouble is people don’t use things according to instructions. I was shocked this morning to see figures that said 1 in 7 people admitted to using their tumble dryers overnight when they are asleep and 1 in 20 said they had never cleaned their filters. Thank goodness we seem to be a sensible bunch on here. :-)

This thread did make me go and recheck my instruction book. My dryer is the condenser type and I thought I had 2 filters. I clean one every time I use it and the second one periodically. I’ve now discovered that the second one is actually the condenser unit but I am doing the right thing by taking it out and flushing it through from time to time.