Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JOHN J O'KEEFE & VERA M JOHNSON OF CAMBERWELL?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 5 Mar 2012 18:23

Does anyone know where John went after he lived in Philip Road SE15 in 1959? He was a nephew of Frederick Henry Bass and lived at the same address until Frederick Henry Bass died in 1959. I am trying to find how the name O'Keefe came into the Bass family.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 5 Mar 2012 20:35

Hi Jennifer
Have you any idea how old John was in 1959, and where born ?

Barbara

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Mar 2012 20:44

A nephew would be the son of Fredericks's brother/sister or the son his wife's brother/sister.

You need to give us more details.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 Mar 2012 20:46

Deaths Sep 1959
BASS Frederick H 73 Camberwell 5c 139

This puts him born c1886 but I don't see a likely birth.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2012 11:31

If he was a nephew by marriage, the names would not be interlinked

jenVG

jenVG Report 29 Apr 2012 13:55

I am beginning to think that he was not actually a nephew and just described himself as that to the death registrar. Can't see any marriages to anyone in the Bass family. Henry Frederick was born in 1885 to parents Frederick Henry Bass and Catherine Lydia nee Court. Thanks for your help :-)

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Nov 2013 12:52

Hello again. I am still trying to find out who John J O'Keefe was - you remember he described himself as a nephew when he informed my uncle's death in 1959 (Frederick Henry or Henry Frederick Bass born 1885).
There is a John J O'Keefe showing as being born in 1927 in Stepney with mother's maiden name BRAY. There is a John J O'Keefe death in Stepney on 11 July 1966 aged 52 so this could also be him but the wrong age for the Bray baby in 1927. I have done tree searches but wonder if anybody has any suggestions.
Thanks for reading this ongoing saga.
regards
Jennifer :-(

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 23 Nov 2013 18:00

Did F H Bass marry? Who was his wife?

Rose

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Nov 2013 18:20

Henry Frederick Bass (1885) married in December 1907 to Mary Ann Connor who was born in Whitechapel in 1888 to parents Michael and Margaret Connor.

Frederick Henry Bass the father of Hen Fred married Catherine Lydia Court. They are on the 1891 census but he had died before the 1901 was taken. She re-married to a Henry Badder.

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Nov 2013 18:25

This thread is all connected with my other Mary Ann Connor, Henry Frederick Bass, Lilian Mary Bass threads but I don't know how to join them all up to help people.

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Nov 2013 18:25

This thread is all connected with my other Mary Ann Connor, Henry Frederick Bass, Lilian Mary Bass threads but I don't know how to join them all up to help people.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Nov 2013 00:33

You can discount the one born in 1927:

Deaths Jun 1931 (>99%)
O'KEEFE John J 4 Stepney 1c 258

Rose

Flip

Flip Report 24 Nov 2013 09:02

Previous thread on Lilian/Henry Bass:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1303116?page=1

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2013 09:16

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1293298 etc..............

jenVG

jenVG Report 24 Nov 2013 09:33

Thanks Rose. I thought it would have made him a suitable candidate for Nephew in 1959. Just shows - never assume.

jenVG

jenVG Report 22 Apr 2015 16:20

I have just had a disappointing message form GRO saying that the death certificate I requested for John Joseph O'Keefe are wrong and trhey are giving me a refund!. The details I gave them were date of death 11 July 1966 in Stepney aged 52. Now as so much time has elapsed I can't for the life of me remember where I got that date of death from. Could it be from one of you kind people. Any advice as to where now please?
rgards Jen :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2015 17:15

not seeing that death info on the GRO records

jenVG

jenVG Report 22 Apr 2015 17:27

I realise that - but wherever did I get that date from? At that time I was an Ancestry member also . It was November 2013. Maybe it was on the Family Search site. Maybe a wrong assumption that his middle name was Joseph? I really need to get back to grips with all this. At this rate the 1921 census will be out before I get it sorted! A person called John J O'Keefe definitely lived at the same house as my uncle lived - right up to his death in 1959. It has been suggested that he was a son of my uncle's live in lady friend and he only described himself on the death cert as a nephew to save embarrassment!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2015 17:48

did the lady friend also live there up to uncles death what was her name maybe we can find them on the london electoral rolls on Ancestry

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2015 17:57

Name: Henry F Bass
Year: 1959
County or Borough: Southwark
Ward or Division/Constituency: Dulwich
Street address: 27 Philip Road

with Vera M Johnson and John J O'Keefe