Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mary pyle born app 1918 in nothumberland /london

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna Marie

Anna Marie Report 14 Sep 2018 23:54

looking for mary pyle from northumberland who had a daughter mary pyle in cork ireland in 1939 mary was not married when she gave birth she gave the little girl to a kate shennan in cork who then took her to good shepherds sunday well im 1944 please help i have been looking for any relatives or any help to trace anyone connected

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2018 03:01

Have you looked for a possible birth registration on freebmd?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2018 03:06

The daughter’s name is in a tree on here. Send a contact message to the tree owner
Good luck

Maddie

Maddie Report 15 Sep 2018 11:40

could this bMary
Last name Pyle
Birth year 1918
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's maiden name Graham
District Morpeth
County Northumberland
Country England
Volume 10B
Page 814
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Births
Collections from Great Britain, Englande

Mary
Last name Pyle
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1940
Registration month -

MarriageFinder ™

Mary Pyle married one of these people

Joseph Oliver
Spouse's last name Oliver
District Northumberland Central
District number -
County Northumberland
Country England
Volume 10B
Volume as transcribed 10B

214 Milburn Road , Ashington U.D., Northumberland, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Mary Oliver (Pyle) 30 Jul 1918 Female Confectioner Cake Maker Single 10 3
John C Pyle 16 Aug 1895 Male Unemployed Colliery Filler Below Married 10 1
Agnes Pyle 09 Sep 1896 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 10 2
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
John G Pyle 03 Aug 1922 Male Apprentice House Painter Single 10 5

IF this is her family there is a tree on ancestry with photograhs BUT there is no mention of her daughter Mary

brother
John G
Last name Pyle
Birth year 1922
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's maiden name Graham
District Morpeth
County Northumberland
Country England
Volume 10B
Page 863
Record set

Name: Mary Oliver
Death Age: 68
Birth Date: 30 Jul 1918
Registration Date: Sep 1986
Registration district: Northumberland Central
Inferred County: Northumberland
Volume: 1
Page: 151

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Flip

Flip Report 15 Sep 2018 16:12

Have you established any relationship between Mary Pyle (1918) and Kate Shennan? And what was the place Kate took Mary to in 1944, although if indeed the Good Shepherds, Sunday Well, there is a lot of history there if you google it. Not much of it good.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 16 Sep 2018 09:19

Anna Marie.....Is it definitely Shennan and not "Sheehan" on the Birth Cert..? What is the address...(you can PM me if you have it and don't want to post it on here).
Given the age of the child Mary and the fact you know she was placed in the Orphanage at Sundays Well...(Sisters of the Good Shepherd) it may be possible to get some info. through the Dept of Education ….I believe the records are held at Glanmire Co.Cork ….

Have you tried tracing her Baptismal Record.….?

The records (to the best of my knowledge) for the Good Shepherd Convent(Sunday's Well) were held (2013) at The Good Shepherd Sisters.
Virginia Crescent
Hennessey's Road
Waterford

Anna Marie

Anna Marie Report 16 Sep 2018 15:38

hi the birth cerficate is mary pyle 1939 cork i have found out you are correct that the name sheehan is the witness her mother was mary pyle kate sheehan gave my mother to either her brother or sister who looked after my mum till she was 4 and then went into the covent until she was 16 i very new to this and am very grateful for all your help .anna marie where do i trace the baptismal records . ? and also only thing on the birth cerficate is cork .

Anna Marie

Anna Marie Report 16 Sep 2018 22:38

kate sheehan had a bother or sister who took mary on until she was 4 and they had a son they lived in cork on a farm which my mother remembers before she went to good shepherds in 1944 age 4 kate was the witness at my mother birth please help if you could give more advise how to search thank you

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Sep 2018 18:38

Anna Marie....

The Birth Cert. if the Original should show many more details than just "Cork"....

It would give Registration District....name of person parents /mothers name and occup. where and when born who was present at the Birth (I assume that was Kate Sheehan when you say Witness) and who Registered the Birth with date.

Until you can locate where in the Co.Cork Mary was born it will be difficult to locate her Baptismal Record....Normally a child would be Baptised within 2 weeks of being born.

You need to try and establish what relationship Mary Pyle had with the Sheehan's, for them to take in a child from Birth to aged 4 years and then place her in St Finbarr's is an unusual scenario.....

Anna Marie

Anna Marie Report 18 Sep 2018 00:07

thank you erin iwill ask my mum where she was born in cork if she rembers she was only a little girl kate was present at the birth, think she was a friend or neighbour no sure we found years ago that kate died in 1942when my mum visited over 30 years ago her brother or sistertook in my mum , i going to contact national archives to get my mum birth cerificate and go from their your help in this matter as made me realise that they are some very kind people with a lot of knowledge in these subjects i cant give up its very important to me as a daughter to do all i can to help my mother. regards anna marie also why was it called st finbarrs not good shepherds as my mum remeber it being that name?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Sep 2018 06:40

How do you know Mary Pyle was born in Northumberland in 1918?

Rose

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Sep 2018 16:09

Anna Marie

You can apply for the your Mammy''s Birth Cert on line...(They are held in Roscommon not the NAI)

Her Birth was Reg.the Oct-Dec quarter 1939 Cork

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

The Convent of the Good Shepherd was built on the land adjacent to St Finbarr's Industrial School hence it is known by St Finbarr's and the Good Shephard (Orphanage)….

Until you determine from the Original BC where exactly your mammy was born it will be difficult to work out what Parish and Church she would have been Baptised in.
Depending on which Church served the GS Orphanage she would have probably made her First Communion Confession Confirmation at St Finbarr's or St. Vincent's.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 21 Sep 2018 15:06

Transferred from Anna Marie' other thread for her....RE KATE SHEEHAN Co Cork

Anna Marie Report 18 Sep 2018 23:05

this lady died in 1942 in county cork she has 4 daughters one of the names of the daughters was mary not sure of the others but she also had a sister or sister inlaw also called mary that lookes after a girl called mary until 1944 when she was taken to good shepherds any family members related please get in touch than you