Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

?? for sons of Alice Maud Vinson 1919 Tavistock..

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2020 09:15

Hi, I’m looking for my dads (Alan White) half brothers... he was adopted at Fulham Nursing home in 1947 and only recently have we found out he has two more adopted brothers, first names Michael and David one older and one younger. We would be really interested to get in touch.
We believe one got in touch with Shirley Cross 10+ or - years ago looking for siblings but we’ve only recently been in touch with Shirley through the eldest half brothers family of Toney Vinson.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 09:27

Advise your father to add himself to the National Adoption Contact Register, if he heasn't already done so

If the half-brothers know they were adopted, and have any interest in tracing birth relatives, they may have done the same

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anyone on here could help, as they don’t know the adoptive names.

Have you looked for the birth names in ‘search all member trees’?

EDITED

I see the mother’s name is in 3 trees - yours, your father’s and that of one other female

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2020 09:49

Thank you I’ll look into that. We thought we knew my dads father but that’s not the case now as the marriage dissolved before my dad was conceived, although I can’t find how to find the annulment paperwork. He’s done a DNA test so we are waiting to see what comes back but I think the dads are different. Thank you again. Very new to this.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2020 10:40

Less than 0.2% of divorce court case files survive, if after 1937.

https://tinyurl.com/y2medr8q

Annulment is different from divorce.

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-annul-marriage

If all you want is the final decree, try here:
https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2020 11:27

Thank you I’ll look into this. I know the date of my dads birth mothers marriage 11th December 1945 then the date of the husbands new marriage in the USA 8th June 1946 and I know the previous marriage was annulled which would be good to have the date. Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 13:24

If the marriage was annulled that should mean that it wasn’t consummated.

OR - they were RC and got around not being allowed to divorce by applying for an annulment

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 16:22

Name: Alice Maud Vinson
Birth Date: 20 May 1919
Relation to Soldier: Children
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Other Ranks Died Vidolich C-Virgint FT
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
Sidney Edward Vinson
Annie Vavistock Widow Birth Date: 22 Jun 1884
Dorothy Annie Vinson Child Birth Date: 2 Feb 1913
Adelaide Mary Vinson Children Birth Date: 12 Sep 1914
Alice Maud Vinson Children Birth Date: 20 May 1919

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 16:25

Name: Alice Maud Vinson
Event Type: Marriage Registration (Marriage)
Marriage Date: 11 Dec 1945
Marriage Place: Indiana, United States
Father: Sydney Edward Vinson
Spouse: Norman Alexander Love
Page: 124
FHL Film Number: 001954678

One legitimate child - on freebmd

So how did they manage to get an annulment?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 16:26

Name: Norman Alexander Love
Race: White
Marital status: Married
Birth Date: 4 Sep 1923
Birth Place: Coffewille, Kansas
Death Date: 31 Jan 2008
Death Place: Columbus, Bartholomew, Indiana, USA
Father: James A Love
Mother: Lula G Love
Spouse: Edna Love, nee Cooper

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2020 17:26

Erika has posted the marriage of Alice Maud to Norman Love in Indiana in Dec 1945

But they also married in Tavistock in 4th quarter 1945.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 17:32

The record of the marriage in the US is actually the Tavistock ceremony - it's simply an affirmation that the marriage has taken place.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2020 18:46

Thank you. I’d never heard of RC before? Roman Catholic!
What does one legitimate child mean between them?
I think I’d heard it was because he was already married? But equally she didn’t want to move to his farm in America when he was called back from the US army so she remained in Tavistock.
My dads filled in part one and part two of the adoption register firms-thanks again!
He looked at his birth certificate today - hadn’t properly looked before and found the address of 44 Hurlingham Rd Fulham East the address of the Fulham nursing home so that’s a good lead?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Aug 2020 18:47

Freebmd? What does that mean please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2020 18:54

Freebmd is a website with BMD info for England/Wales.

Just google

Look for a Love/Vinson birth

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2020 18:54

"What does one legitimate child mean between them?"

I'm not sure what you mean.
There's a Love/Vinson birth in 1947 which I assume is your father's.

But if they were already separated (and you do say, "the marriage dissolved before my dad was conceived"), then his father, as you suspect, may be someone other than Norman.

The birth would still be registered as Love because that was still Alice's name.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Aug 2020 23:30

Not seeing any likely births for a Michael or David with MMN Vinson, unless those were their adopted names.

Hard to believe Norman was able to get an annulment and remarried 6 months later.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Aug 2020 23:34

There's a Eustace M in 1940. Perhaps this is one of the brothers.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 15 Aug 2020 23:48

Alice married again in 1962 as Love:

Marriages Sep 1962
BEALE William J LOVE Plymouth 7a 1517
LOVE Alice M BEALE Plymouth 7a 1517

Any children born after your dad should also be under Love.

Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2020 08:33

Thank you for your help. She kept the name love Until she was remarried to Beale as you’ve found out. My dad wasn’t registered with a surname but was given his first and middle name. She kept who we think was her first done Toney Vinson. So I believe Michael and David wouldn’t therefore be registered with a last name? I’ve never heard of a Eustace? I’m not sure he’ll ever find out his father unless his DNA when through shines a light. I hope he does find his siblings who may all have different fathers.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Aug 2020 10:04

Every birth has to be listed with a surname. You father was registered under Love, with mother's maiden name Vinson.

I'm suggesting Eustace was the birth name for either the Michael or David you mention.

Rose