Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR play the teachers pet game now do they???

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 27 Oct 2011 18:18

Email sent out to SOME members...

On Saturday 22nd October until Monday 24th October, Genes Reunited experienced some technical issues as a result of server improvements we had made. This meant that the site was often unavailable. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused and as an apology, have given you 30 free credits that you can use to view records. These credits will be valid for 18 months.

We hope you continue to enjoy using Genes Reunited,

The Genes Reunited Team

So where are my free credits please???

Or none for me as I did not complain about it ???
Well if thats the case then I certainly WILL be heard next time there is a problem on here ...!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Oct 2011 18:24

Ooooooh Fans.....how can YOU have been left out when you are such an asset to this site?

HOPEFULLY, IT IS AN OVERSIGHT ON THE PART OF GENES!

Hope someone reads this..... :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 27 Oct 2011 18:28

AND they want my sub fee this week....Well take the credit money off that if you want GR but I would like MY free credits one way or another..

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Oct 2011 18:28

Let's see how long it is before your post is "requested for review". I have a thread on Genealogy Chat about it and it was rr'd. There's also one on General Chat which has been rr'd. I don't know if GR are the ones rr'ing because they don't want people to know that only a select few have received the 30 free credits.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 27 Oct 2011 18:33

I shall just keep posting new threads then Margee... ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Oct 2011 18:44

GR have deleted a post on FB and explained that they have done that because not everyone has received the free credits. It seems as though they are sending them to people who have logged on within the last three days.......????

Some haven't received an email but have got the credits....have you checked above Fans?

To be honest, 30 free credits gives you the ability to view not a lot. I think it is 30 credits to view an image and 5 to view a transcription.

Keep smiling........ :-D

On second thoughts............ :-(

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 27 Oct 2011 18:47

If they wish to check my log on in the last 3 days they will find posts by me on here...when I was able to get on here of course.....

Its not the credits Cyn,its the principal of the thing...

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Oct 2011 18:51

I have sent a message to GR asking for an explanation of why my post on Genealogy Chat was requested for review.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Oct 2011 19:04

I saw that RR Margee and think GR should have put an explanation on the thread as to the reason why it was deleted - it all helps with public relations!

This is what they put on FB in response to a post by Joy.

Genes Reunited
Joy - Apologies but I have deleted your former comment with the copy from the email you received. This is because only people who tried to use the site during these 3 days was sent an email and therefore it is not relevant to everyone. If you have any questions regarding the compensation, please email theteamgenesreunited.com and I will make sure I answer it. Thanks

I understand what you mean Fans......for once anyway. ;-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Oct 2011 19:23

My next question then is "How do GR know who was trying to use the site during those 3 days?" It was in such a mess that most people couldn't even access the site. I'm sure they have no idea of how many people were affected.

p.s. It's not sour grapes here. I was one of the select few who were given the 30 free credits.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Oct 2011 20:47

I wondered that Margee but then thought the answer would be too technical for me to understand :-D

Sally

Sally Report 27 Oct 2011 21:34

hello

i did not get an email but just looked and have thirty credits but i did complain serveral times and asked for compensation i thought i might get a month free

but i am going to complain again as i am haveing problems tonight :-S :-

sally w

hope your credit arive joy at least 50 :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2011 22:20

Where would you see the credits if you were given them. I couldn't get on the sight, and got thrown out several times with the good old error message, but I don'y log on every time. So how would they know I had tried and failed. By this you might guess I have not heard anything. Surely all paying members who use the site in any way, on the boards or on their tree, or look ups were inconvenienced?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 28 Oct 2011 01:16

I have 30 credits ... I don't want them ...

I could post on find ancestors that first come first served I will use my 30 credits trying to find something useful on this idiot site ... but then I would have to spend my time trying to do that and I know it would be a fool's game from the outset

I tried to use records here during the big new year's eve promotion I think it was, I managed to get to view one record, it told me an ancestor of mine born around the time of the Napoleonic War was a perfect match with someone from another country who was killed in WWII

imagine if I had paid for that

jax

jax Report 28 Oct 2011 02:39

I am sure the credits will come in handy for some, but I would rather have the extra three days which I believe some people have been given

Ann...If you have been given credits they will be at the top of the page next to "my account" "sign out" ect

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2011 04:43

I can't understand why some people apparently got 3 free days (according to a post in ancestry wall on FB), and others got 30 free credit ...... which is good ofr looking at one transcript.

I wonder if it was a case of the squeeky wheels ahve got the sop of the free credits??

I never log out, so you can't tell when I'm on here or not ........ but I was very vocal about the problems, both on here and on the wall on FB

and, yes, I got 30 credits

................................ but it shows on here that I have 80 credits!!!

I have had 50 credits showing for months ............... but when I tried to use them I got a message that I had to pay before I got the 50. Needless, to say I didn't pay for them!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2011 04:45

Incidentally, I've jsut cheked

50 credits cost £5, and are good for 30 days

we've been given 30 credits, valid for 18 months.

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Oct 2011 07:14

The system knows every time you update something, make a posting, add to your tree. clock an error message etc. All these actions are logged in what is known as an Event Log. As I have said on a previous occasion it doesn't matter if you never log out, the system still knows what you are up to.

It is likely credits will have been allocated automatically based on these logs.

However, not sure if it you would always be picked up if you were unable to log in at all. We occasionally had this problem at work. We knew there had been a failed log in but couldn't necessarily pin it down to a specific user. Contact GR and ask them, if you think you are entitled to something.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 28 Oct 2011 07:37

Margee's post on Genealogy Chat disappeared completely a few minutes ago as I tried to move from page one to page two to see what the latest posts said about the subject.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Oct 2011 08:03

Isn't it likely that the three free days is for people on platinum membership to whom credits would be of no use. It is less than 1% of the annual fee.