Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR and Facebook

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Nov 2011 08:47

This has been mentioned so many times before but for some strange reason GR are incapable of dealing with this simple request.

Information concerning this site should be posted FIRST on GR and SECOND on Facebook. Never the other way around. Certainly never information on Facebook that does not appear on GR.

The recent poll, that was only posted on two boards, is a case in point. No mention made on this site that it was only a one day poll.

Island

Island Report 17 Nov 2011 14:07

I wonder if it is the same 'team' on FB as on here?

They could easily have their own board here - this one?- and post the same things they do on FB.

I'm on FB so I'm not bothered for myself but appreciate that some people don't want to join. it is unfair to those paying members.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Nov 2011 14:17

I suspect we have newer people working in admin who are younger and for who facebook is their first point of call. I wonder if Bright Solid realise that they potentially could lose out of paying members by Facebook having posts before they go on here. What is the point of being a paying member these days? ok I do know, there are advantages but facebook could be the thin end of the wedge.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 18 Nov 2011 20:02

I do not use Facebook and have no intention of ever doing so.

I must admit it really irks me that information is posted there for all to see and us paying members have to rely on the info being posted on here by other paying members who happen to use Facebook.

Chris

Joy

Joy Report 21 Nov 2011 18:13

Including competitions.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Nov 2011 10:40

They should go on both at the same time.

However, you can see GR's point in wanting to use Facebook as it will reach a far larger audience than the tiny handful of members who log in each day and read the message boards.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Nov 2011 13:26

I can not see the point of GR wanting to post anything on Facebook.

I thought that FB was a social networking site and nothing to do with genealogy.

Information should be posted first on this site and FB as an after thought and never the other way around.

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Nov 2011 13:53

Well said GlitterBaby.
I never had any intention of joining Facebook & no amount of coersion will persuade me otherwise.
As far as I´m aware it´s one area where there is still no Government directive instructing me to join & I reserve the right to choose while I still can.
I joined GR because I am interested in contacting like minded people. I have no desire to know about the lives of people I don´t know from Adam.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Nov 2011 14:21

Well I got fed up with GR and the constant posting on Facebook so I bit the bullet and joined FB only to see what GR was posting on that site

What a load of rubbish !!!!

Never used it since and have no plans to go back to it.

If people want to use FB then that is their choice but GR constantly posting info over there is unfair to those members that do not want to use FB

Never the twain should meet :-P

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Nov 2011 16:37

No one should be forcing anyone to use Facebook if they don't want to.

However, the fact of the matter is that GR can reach more of their members on FB than they can by putting it on the site community boards. Average member never looks at the boards. Take this thread alone, only 89 members have bothered to read it.

Where GR are going wrong is by not posting on both locations at the same time.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 26 Nov 2011 22:31

Facebook is a cheap advertising site for corporations like this one

the millions ( billions ? ) of people who use Facebook may see the genesreunited page there ... and may like what they see and decide to check out the genesreunited website ( this one ) and pay to subscribe to it ... just as if they had seen an advert on television ... but a lot cheaper for the corporation and targeting an audience that is already on line

contests and such at Facebook attract viewers to the page and so are another way of getting new subscribers

that is what the Facebook page is for

we who are posting here have already paid to subscribe, the corporation is not interested in attracting us ... whether it is interested in keeping us ... if it is then it might do something about how it has been taking a full minute tonight for pages at this site to load for me ... and yes, stop posting information that it should be giving its paying subscribers only ( or first or more completely ) at a totally different website that so many of us are not remotely interested in

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2011 23:05

I saw a posting on the GR wall on FB the other day

...... asking if someone who was not a member could look at and post on there.

The person asking was a member of GR, but she wanted to recommend the FB wall to someone in Australia as a place to ask questions.

CORRECTION ........... she wanted the person to be able to look at the photos that are being posted on there. (Thanks, jax)

I joined FB solely to be able to see what GR was posting on there that I would like to know about. I always said that I would never ever be on FB ....... and I got inveigled onto it by GR!

sylvia

jax

jax Report 26 Nov 2011 23:33

No Sylv

She wanted her cousin to be able to see the photos not ask questions on FB

Some questions can be asked but look ups are frowned upon even by GR, but you cant stop someone asking or anyone replying :-)

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Nov 2011 00:45

oops

you are correct, jax .... I was mis-remembering!

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Nov 2011 20:23

Photo Competition

Is the winning photo anywhere on this site ?

The link to this photo has been deleted at the request of the photo owner.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Dec 2011 21:48

Still posting info on FB

DISGUSTED !!!!!!!!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2011 22:02

and now we have someone copying and posting a message from Phil Moir on to FB, that Phil had posted on a thread of mine on Suggestions, explaining what they were doing to improve problems on the site

............... and then demanding that GR post on Facebook first :-P :-P

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Dec 2011 07:25

I presume that whoever it is isn´t prepared to pay the membership fee for GR.
Another "freeloader"

RobG

RobG Report 2 Dec 2011 10:13

Maybe, if GR thinks so much of the Facebook Freeloaders that contribute absolutely nothing to their coffers, we (the paying members) should all quit and take our hard-earned subs money elsewhere. Then we'll see who pays their paychecks in to their ignorant and arrogant pockets!!!!

Flick

Flick Report 2 Dec 2011 12:21

It wasn't too long ago that there was a mass migration from GR to another site, formed by disaffected GR members.

I can envisage a similar scenario if GR continue to insult those of whose subs help to keep them in jobs

If the membership declines beyond a certain point, they will soon find that advertisers withdraw their support, which must be a not inconsiderable part of their revenue