Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Platinum users beware !

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 14:04

I have been a member for some years. Until recently I was a platinum member. Due to financial constraints I had to reduce my membership.

I was horrified to discover that all the census records I had previously attached to my tree , are now unavailable to me without paying for credits.
I feel GR are asking me to pay for the same information twice. I have contacted Gr and they say this is the case and nothing can be done.

So if you want to add to your tree either copy and paste, or enter in your details box by hand.
Hope this helps someone else.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Feb 2012 14:13

Unfortunately that is the case with most sites (1911 census being a notable exception).

Do you know how many records you attached as someone may be able to get them for you.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 14:21

Apologies KenSE, didn't mean to personally reply to you directly.

As I said I have almost 3000 people in my tree, and I would think that everyone born before 1911 have a census record attached to them so not a job I could begin to ask others to do, this would take me months of work to get back to how it was. Therefore my warning to others.
Thank you for your response though.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Feb 2012 14:52

No problem about the PM.

3,000 is a few more than I expected.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 14:58

This is why I was so cross, all that work just lost unless I pay all over again.

Island

Island Report 9 Feb 2012 14:59

Did you not copy the images to your pc? Is this not available on GR?

I'd advise anybody to use an offline tree for the bulk of their records and use the GR tree for possible contacts.

Having to pay again doesn't seem right :-S
Get onto them again and ask if they can retrieve your work.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 15:04

No, this is what I am trying to warn people not to do, I assumed (incorrectly as it happens) that once I had paid GR a subscription and attached it to my tree it would be available to me.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 15:06

They say I can retreive it but I will have to buy credits

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Feb 2012 18:15

Sadly this is the way that most subscription sites work. You can only have visibility of records on their website as long as you continue to subscribe.

The best advice is not to rely on any third party to reference data that you can't afford to loose or easily refresh. Make sure that everything you want to keep is securely held on your PC and take backups on a regular basis.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 9 Feb 2012 18:52

Closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted methinks !!!

Guess I will have to mark it down to experience, but, I honestly could cry !!

philmoir

philmoir Report 9 Feb 2012 20:56

caistergirl, I may be wrong, but I would actually expect you to still have the links, you just cannot view the records. If you opt to subscribe in future, you should still have the links direct to the relevant attached records. Not a complete solution, but hopefully your hard work is still there.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 10 Feb 2012 10:25

Yes I agree , I think it's still there, but, unviewable. Doesn't make me feel better though, I just hope this does stop someone making the same mistake I did. I am so, so, upset.

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 10 Feb 2012 18:40

Hi caistergirl
Sent a PM
Barbara x

Carole

Carole Report 10 Feb 2012 19:46

Hi caistergirl - I'm afraid I can't help you, but thanks for the heads up! I too have done lots of work on GR in the past and, for the same reasons as you, rejoined on Standard membership. I had promised myself to upgrade to Platignum, but now think I will go on to Ancestry instead. Genes Reunited take note - I am not the only one who is transferring. I was disappointed when GR linked up with Friends Reunited as it gave me a list of several hundreds, none of whom are in the least interested in ancestors. I have just logged on to the new set up and hate that too! :-S :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2012 19:53

Carole

Just a minor correction to get facts straight

GR did not "link up with Friends Reunited" ........... Friends Reunited actually was formed first around 1999 or 2000 as a means of reuniting school friends. They then expanded, and began Genes Reunited a couple of years later

did you perhaps mean that GR linked with findmypast?

That happened when ITV sold the FR stable of companies to BrightSolid.

sylvia

jax

jax Report 10 Feb 2012 20:28

Surely if you do not subscribe on Ancestry you cannot see the records saved either?

Gai

Gai Report 10 Feb 2012 20:52

Correct Jax.

If you don't keep your Ancestry membership up to date you can't see records attached to your tree. Again you have to save everything to your computer.

Also you can get caught out by upgrading to a world sub and then reverting backwards to another sub later on, you can't see the records that are attached to the world sub. Hope that makes sense. A friend of mine got caught out this way.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2012 21:16

GR is no different from any other site in this

I've always downloaded records to my own computer.

In fact, I don't have a full tree online on any site.

My tree on ancestry has more names on it than the one on here ........ but it is also a Private tree

I would recommend that you do NOT have a Public Family Tree on ancestry ................. anyone can download any information from those, whether the names are connected to them or not

Make it a Private Family Tree, then no-one can view more than the one name that might be connected to them ........... they have to contact you through ancestry to see any more ........ and you can control how much they see, and who sees it.

PLUS, ancestry has an ancillary site, Mundia, which is free to access, and thus free for anyone to view and remove information from ................. all public family trees are downloaded onto that site. You can NOT remove your tree from Mundia, although you can keep it hidden by choosing the highest level of privacy.

sylvia

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 11 Feb 2012 10:02

Thanks for the information Sylvia, very interesting.

caistergirl

caistergirl Report 11 Feb 2012 18:37

Just to keep you in the loop, if you subscribe on Ancestry, then let your subs expire, you can still view any records previously attached to your tree.
Hope this helps !