Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

definitely not amused

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2012 09:22

I had to sign in four times this morning before it would let me in. I was expecting to sign in (once) as I cleared my cache last night but 4 times without explanation (No error page came up). It goes from bad to worse. I have been having to sign in every morning but 4 times!!!

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 24 Feb 2012 21:58

couldnt get on the site at all last night Ann,
everytime i tried to sign in it either sent me to the friends reunited site or took me to another page where i had to sign in again,every time i signed in,a red message came up advising me that i had used the wrong username.
gave up in the end. :-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Feb 2012 07:46

I spent over an hour trying to get onto the site yesterday afternoon & was constantly timed out.
Happening again to an extent this morning when trying to open threads but because it´s intermittent it´s difficult to work out the cause.
I downloaded the latest version of Firefox this week & the problems are worse than they were with the antique version I was using before.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 25 Feb 2012 23:48

When trying to negotiate my tree, kept asking me a add surname, as I had already entered surname and it had come up with suggestions it just didn't make sense.
Later now adding a year of death for some one it insisted that I enter ayear of four digits.
I thought that 1906 was entering a year of four digits, it was displayed in the "year of death " box too.
But according to Genes 1906 is not four digits!!!

Who can't count????

Very annoying and off putting.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 26 Feb 2012 23:46

Stephen SG, now you have got me wondering........... :-S

Tess

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Feb 2012 02:09

I was on GR this morning (4 hours ago). I hadn't signed out on my previous visit (I rarely sign out, but 99.99% of the time have to sign in again)...... that was one of the 0.01%. I thought things had improved. I did NOT sign out of that session.

So..... tried to access the site 10 minutes ago. Sign in here (as I said, I rarely sign out)..... enter email & password..... wait..........blank spaces......... enter email & password........ wait...... blank spaces........... etc etc etc etc................ signed in 6 times......blank spaces.......... 7th attempt....... Error message........ which says to click on GR logo to return to home page........ oh no it doesn't....... got to sign in page again.......... enter email & password........ wait....... blank......... enter email & password...... success!

Yes, I DO clear cookies, defrag, reboot etc. I'm NOT the only one with this problem.

The new tree? I'll use it when it has been fumigated, or when there is no choice. I don't like it, I find it awkward (I have used at least four versions of genealogy software, and find the GR one rather "lacking")

I'm sure I could recite the Error message in my sleep.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Mar 2012 06:22

As stated, clearing cookies and defragging etc won't make a bit of difference. In fact if you are clearing cookies you have to make sure you don't clear saved passwords too as this will certainly require you to log in again next time you visit the site.

The housekeeping I have found worth doing is clearing your browser cache on a daily basis. Failure to do this can sometimes result in strange results when certain web pages fail to load correctly as the is insufficient space available for them.

I am strongly of the opinion that many of the current performance issues, i.e. having to log in, failure to access certain pages, time outs etc are happening because the servers are running out of resources and unable to support the growing database.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Mar 2012 09:10

So why every time I ask GR why it is happening do they tell me I am running an out of date browser according to their records. According to my browser Firefox, when I went into it to check, my browser is up to date. This also happens when I ask about the constant error page when already in the site.

IGP browser cache, as opposed to cookies, I run Ccleaner, does that clear browser cahe? I also run advanced system care, does that clear browser cache? If not is there a quick fix for clearing it daily please?

Had to sign in 5 times today but I had run both the above so was expecting it.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Mar 2012 09:59

Ann,

Their records are out of date....! If you do report a problem then also tell them what your current version is. I.e. Firefox 11.0, or whatever, and ask them to update your details.

As far as clearing out, CCleaner is fine - that's what I have used for several years. However it will not cure the two main issues that have been plaguing members for some time, i.e. repeatedly having to log in and the time out error messages when moving around the site.

Provided your browser is set to remember passwords (for Firefox this is under Tool, Options, Security) and you tick the box on GR, you should not need to keep logging back in.

Otherwise, both of these problems need action on the part of GR to get resolved.

Roslyn

Roslyn Report 2 Mar 2012 11:13

This is probably not the best place to make a comment, but I have sessaged several fok though our site, but never received any reply. I am thinking of leaving this site when my subs are due. In the early yars I would always receive a reply, even if it was not my ancestor. These days almost no one repliers. Several are related and I ave photos of their ancestors as my grandparents and great grandparents were keepers
of information and pics. Why has common courtesy gone out of fashion when it comes to genealogy?
My other point is that many take information that has not been checked and often ot is incorrect. The old fashioned way of researching and I started in 1980 when the intenet was only a dream and researching was hwlp one another commonplace. While we can't brin gback the old days, it would be pleasant to have old fashioned politness and courtesy
prevail

Cheers

Ros

r was commonplace

Joy

Joy Report 2 Mar 2012 13:28

I agree that one should not have to keep logging back in.

Today - I accessed the site after attempting to log in three times; yesterday it was four times.

The error message is ongoing and increasing.

:-|

Everything in my computer is up to date etc.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Mar 2012 15:47

IGP thank you for that, yes, browser is set to remember passwords and ticked on here. But why can't they admit that it is their problem not ours? :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Mar 2012 16:04

I don't want to repeat a posting, please read my last few posts on "This site is rubbish"

I am REALLY fed up. :-P

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Mar 2012 17:20

Tried to enter the site just now, using .co.uk

................... sign in, wait and wait, Please sign in, wait

get so fed up, open another tab, try .co.za

got in immediately!

am now also in via .co.uk!

so why should the two addresses for the same site be so different???????????

:-S :-S :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Mar 2012 17:36

Roslyn

welcome to the Boards!

Your problem with return of messages is often discussed, especially on Genealogy Chat or General Chat.

I don't think it is so much discourtesy .......as the fact that

.......... members have died
.......... members have become seriously ill and can no longer use the site
......... members have lost interest and no longer use the site
.......... some members only return to the site once a year or 2 years
.......... members have changed their email address, and NOT notified GR

GR never removes any member from the site .......... a paying member who does not renew is just dropped down to Free member status.

Only a member, OR someone who has his/her password, can remove a tree ....... many members have died or become incapacitated without having given the password to a relation or friend ................... those trees just remain on here for ever.

Have you checked your Sent Messages to see whether your message has been opened?? If a green envelope is showing, then the member has not opened it.

Regarding your other comment .............. I think that the numerous TV shows, such as WDYTYA, have a lot of blame for this. They make it look too easy. WE know genealogy is not!! But a lot of people do seem to think that they can take everything from anywhere.

In fact, anything which is on the internet IS fair game. It is not protected.

Sites such as ancestry do not help with their "leaf" symbol suggesting a connection between your ancestor and one on another tree. GR does the same thing with its "Is this your ancestor?" emails

I think people take these "hints" to be the truth, and add them immediately without doing any checking.

The fault lies with people who do not carefully check any information received from anyone else, no matter HOW they get it.

For this reason, I do no have my full tree anywhere except on my PC. I have only about 130 names on the GR tree, and very little other information. My ancestry tree is larger, but is Private .......... people can connect with a name on there, but have to send a message to me to see any more. That way I can control who can and cannot get more information

As to "it was different in the old days" ...................... well, it really wasn't all that different!!!

I know of one person who worked for years sorting out his ancestors in the 1980's ................ then a relation stole all that work from him (notes and everything). The relation then presented that as all his own work ....... even to the extent of having a One Name Study and organising a conference on the surname

How do I know this?

Well, I have the evidence of what happened!!

sylvia

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Mar 2012 18:01

Sylvia my problems signing in are to the ZA site. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Mar 2012 19:16

throws up hands in disgust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Mar 2012 23:25

But, folks, GR did post a performance issues update saying that we should be seeing improvements. OK, the update is almost 3 months old!

Gee, my dictionary says that an update is the most recent facts.

C'mon GR, get you a** in gear!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2012 00:59

just had to sign in again .............

................. but I did get onto .co.uk after only 1 very long wait. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Mar 2012 00:59

Sylvia, I had a similar experience.

Someone (no idea who, I'm more careful these days) gave lots of my family tree to a total stranger. This stranger (who uses GR) added half my tree to his (my tree has grown since then). Connection? His brother's wife's great-grandmother is the sister of the woman who married my great-grand uncle!

He copied about 100 names - none of them are related to him. Why would anyone want non-relatives? Number Gatherers!! I sent a contact message, asked why he had my rellies and he was extremely rude, told me to "get a life" (that was the not-so-nasty one). He had ME which really annoyed me, also my parents & both sets of grandparents, so GR told him to remove living people from his tree. He was very annoyed when I told him to remove great-uncle who was 97.