Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greased lightening

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Mar 2012 11:54

Wheeeeeeeeeeee ...... super duper ex...

For the first time in months the site is starting up, inc login, in short order regardless of browser or Windows version.
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Also fine on Android and LInux. Haven't tried iOS yet. She-who-must-be-obeyed-and-only-uses-things-that-work has the iPad.
:-D :-D :-D

Tree, old or new, loads in no time ( 3000 records )
:-D :-D :-D

So it looks like the boss, D C Thompson, looking down decided to send for the experts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQkFyq36jA&feature=related
;-)

I just hope that it stays like this.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Mar 2012 12:07

It does this every so often

I give it a day then something will collapse!!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Mar 2012 12:37

Yeah right.

I finally got back in - after LOADS of emails to GR!

Added some names to my tree........ then found..... Tree Matches can only been seen if you use CTRL at the same time. Hmmmm - when did they turn into popups?

Found an interesting match......... composed a message......... click SEND.......... Error Message.............. back............(sometimes Error Message appears, but the message has been sent....... sometimes the message has NOT been sent).......... went to Messages.......... Clicked on Sent Messages............ Error Message........... again........... Error Message........... got out of GR......... back in (WHOOPEE - STILL SIGNED IN!)........ Messages............ Sent ............ Error Message............ exit GR again........... back in (WHOOPEE again).......... Messages............ Sent Items......... and there it is, sent.

Tried to view two other trees. One tree I saw names, nothing else, a blank blue wall. Other tree looked fine, until I tried to search, got list of names, but couldn't go to them.

What a damn rigmarole.

:-( :-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Mar 2012 12:58

Yup, certainly is.....! :-)

Log in in less than 3 seconds, old tree under 5 and new tree under 8 and that is with my ten year old coal fired Dell ....!

philmoir

philmoir Report 6 Mar 2012 13:28

I have deployed a change earlier today to one of our database procedures that should relieve the bottleneck at this stage. I have a few other things to look at, but I think this was the critical one that was causing the majority of the pain.

Sorry that it has taken so long to narrow this down and fix this particular issue.

I am still aware that there are issues in other places, and I am continuing to look into these.

Phil

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Mar 2012 14:09

sorry to say after post above left site
took ages to get back in just now!!!!!

Sally

Sally Report 6 Mar 2012 15:03

it is taking me 50+seconds to get on to site and thenkeep having to sign in

and do not get me started on the tree :-\

sally w

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Mar 2012 19:19

hi

ultimate accolade, Estelle has referenced my thread :-D [ preens feathers ]

given it another thrashing with various browsers, after sign out home page loads in < 3 sec, sign in mostly < 10 secs, once 30 sec. After sign in complete speed on everything else fine ( I have never kept big thread archives on GR, I back them off to hard drive where local search can find things in an instant, even if offline ). Tried accessing a big thread tho no problem. Opening if already signed on very quick. Tried on another box. Fine. Tried on my smart phone. OK, exec time fine on wifi. I did most of these tests on a vanilla ancient DELL running XP sp3 with 1 GB 533 RAM. SATA drive. ' orrible Intel graphics. Nightly (Firefox 13 beta) was marginally the fastest, IE8 slowest. Connection direct cable.

I still dislike the new view which to me has reduced functionality compared to the old view - reasons same as everybody else. It is more bearable though now it runs faster. I would like the slider to be invoked some way that did not cover up the tree.

On sign out the tree is left on screen, not closed. I consider this a bug.

I very very rarely clear out various caches, cookies, histories etc but make sure that caches are generous. I do weed out some of the more irritating cookies though ...

Firefox has an excellent free took called "Cookie manager" which you can get from "Tools | Addins" . After adding it it will be in the menu "Tools | Cookie manager". That way you can delete just GRU cookies and then sign in again and gru will generate shiny new cookies. I have never found it made much difference but it is a way of removing just GRU cookies without wholesale death and destruction and problems with mislaid passwords for other sites ...

For me anyway I am well pleased that an acceptable level of performance has been restored. It is quite interesting just how -ve feelings can be about an application which takes for ever to load and then falls over. Suddenly I quite like GRU again.

'appy for once, nice work Phil
:-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Mar 2012 01:16

Got in after two Error Messages
Read messages after one Error Message
Got to OLD tree after two Error Messages
Added marriage date (nothing else) to someone.........slooooooooooow

Whoopee......... it's working NEARLY as well as it did years ago. :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2012 01:53

it is working well :-D :-D :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 7 Mar 2012 04:56

Tsk! Rollo

You got me all excited there for a minute :-(....No such luck on the IPad....( it uses Safari).....in fact at the moment it is as dead as a dodo :-(

I am writing this on my lappy.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2012 07:16

spoke a bit too soon

Loading My Threads is slooooooow, and still getting errors when trying to do it. It is better than it was before .......... am getting fewer error messages.

sylvia

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Mar 2012 09:41

This is an Apple problem not a GRU problem. GRU uses Flash for some stuff. Apple iPad does not support Flash ( Steve Jobs policy).

For iPad (not iPhone) this app will give Flash support but you will have to enter the url via iSwifter not Safari. Safari runs Flash ok under Windows.

app store: iSwifter

Another option is Skyfire, but check it works before shelling out.

It is also possible to have a Windows session on an Apple ipad under Citrix and run any Windows stuff inc Flash (advanced). If you know anybody geeky iPad will also run linux (advanced geek)

Apple claim that they don't support Flash 'cos of stability, performance etc etc. The reality is a complicated argument about H263/4 video standards and patents and the way Apple makes money out of its nice looking tin. In any case Adobe are working around it with html5 and it is said the problem will gradually go away.

Older Apples mostly have Flash support and thus run GRU ok.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 7 Mar 2012 11:24

It worked before Rollo so maybe it will work again :-)

Sally

Sally Report 7 Mar 2012 14:21

26 seconds to get in today better than yesterday :-0

sally w

Estelle

Estelle Report 7 Mar 2012 14:56

We're so pleased to hear that most of you are no longer having problems signing in and out of the site. There are still a few more changes that Phil is going to make which will also be a big help. These changes will go live next week.

Ken2

Ken2 Report 7 Mar 2012 16:34

Getting in seems OK - but still the search facility on the New Tree doesn't work for me. I am using IE8 on Windows XP na ddon't want to change to another web browser.
EDIT:
Just tried Andrew's suggestion on this thread:
http://genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1294141
Clicked the Compatibility View symbol and the search now works.

Bryan

Bryan Report 7 Mar 2012 17:54

New tree continues to create spontaneous duplicates of newly entered family members. It also locks into the additional data page for the most recently entered family member, eg, add a spouse (person A), enter additional information and save it, then try to move on to another family member to add new information. All that can be accessed is the additional information page for the new spouse (person A). It's then necessary to close the tree and re-enter - and then person A appears twice.

This has been reported to GU several times to no effect and, although GU claims to value feedback, doing something about it is a different matter. How many members are planning to move to Ancestry when their subscriptions expire?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Mar 2012 00:26

I don't like the new tree, it's awkward to use, and it keeps freezing. I have the same problems as Bryan, with people being duplicated. I added a spouse to someone, she then appeared three times, once with her husband, also to MY husband, and to ME!

I have told GR I will continue to use the old tree. If and when it goes I will not be renewing my membership. With all the bugs in the new one, that may be some time.

Persephone

Persephone Report 8 Mar 2012 02:35

My last message was opened a couple of days ago and the envelope was not there yesterday but now I have a white envelope... but no message and no advice by e-mail in spam box or otherwise is it stuck somewhere in GR's postbox?

Tree is fine.. all the rest is cooking with gas except the message box which I find a tad stupid anyway.

eg one views a message and then decides to view another further down the page to jog memory, it won't open try refresh still won't open... no I have to go to community boards or sent items and then go back to in box to look at the next message. The longest way round seems to be the shortest way there to coin a phrase.

Persie