Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PHIL or ESTELLE Please respond.

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 16:11

You will have been made aware of the problems being reported this morning.

Please would one of you take two minutes to respond on this board, whether to say "tough luck you are stuck with an over-bright board and small text permanently" OR " we know it doesn't suit you and will change it"

Either way, just some response from someone who knows!

Yes there are other problems, missing trees, emoticons...technicalities... but the real deal breaker for most of us is the background brightness, colour and text issues, as can be clearly seen on this thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1307075?d=desc

Thanks.

Joy

Joy Report 1 Aug 2012 16:21

I was advised by Katie at GR that, if the brightness of the background continues to be a problem for many people, then options would be reviewed and necessary changes would be made; this was in response to my email to her at
[email protected]

Rose, after clicking on the link you gave, I would have had to log in to reply on that thread :-S

Katie has responded in http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1304182?d=desc

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 16:30

I guess the catch with that Joy is that it WON'T continue to be a problem because so many who can't cope with it will just give up. :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 18:02

I'd just like to quote from a response to my feedback re the beta site

"The issue of the pale turquoise text on the white background is a theme that is emerging in a majority of the feedback, so this will be ;;something we look at doing differently. "

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Aug 2012 18:34

You must live more in hope than expectation RR...but check this out for some sort of convoluted response...!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1307054

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 19:06

lol Eringobragh I have ALWAYS lived 'more in hope than expectation' :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Aug 2012 20:09

Text is not small as long as you take the trouble to size the page to your screen by holding down the Crrl key and moving your mouse scroll wheel to make the page fill your screen. This is not something GR can do for you.

I am seriously myopic and and have no problems at all as long as I do this. I find it best when there is no scroll bar appearing at the bottom, t but if you want the text to be even bigger, or have a small screen you will need to put up with having to scroll left to right.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 20:21

IGP Tried that, doesn't help. I can read the boards at 100 zoom but 125 zoom is the ONLY way I can see what I am typing in the reply box. To see the 'Save' on my tree ( only useable on chrome) I then have to reduce to 75% for it to be on screen at all.

Most attempts at changing text size or indeed the font type to bold inevitable throw something off the side of the screen ( for eg page view numbers) . Which still doesn't answer the problem of 'glare' or the lack of clarity of the turquoise text...and can ANYONE see the text on the 'Quick search'( because I only found it was there when I accidentally highlighted it)!

Joy

Joy Report 1 Aug 2012 20:23

Rose, look at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php
please. If it is better, tell me why it is better than this new version of genes reunited. Thank you :)

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 20:27

Joy will just rest my eyes a minute before detailing 'why' it is better but straight away I can confirm that is IS :-D

Joy

Joy Report 1 Aug 2012 20:31

Thank you :)
It is one of the sites that I asked genes reunited to look at, when I gave feedback about the beta version of genes reunited.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Aug 2012 20:41

Joy, the page has a slightly bolder? and larger font and a darker background

Notably i can read it at all zoom levels from 75% up to 200% without getting blinded even if i set my screen to max on the brightness scale

This feels like the Gestapo shining bright lights in your eyes to get you to make a confession

Roy

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Aug 2012 20:55

Much clearer to read Joy both in terms of the text size and the colour contrast and easier on the eyes.

In the interests of being unbiased and as I know I have bad sight, I asked Dan to view both, starting here , he thought the colour contrast on here is "awful" , I asked him also to look for the words under 'quick search' lol he did see it but only barely, the text here is "too small" at 100% and is, or certainly appears to be, smaller than rootschat at 100%. And the other good thing is that even at 125% you can still see the 'replies' , 'posts' and 'last post details'

and somewhere I have a password.... :-D

Joy

Joy Report 1 Aug 2012 22:12

Thank you, Roy, and Rose & Dan. :)

philmoir

philmoir Report 2 Aug 2012 08:05

Sorry, yesterday was just too busy getting the release out and monitoring it to read the boards, so not seeing this till now. We will be reviewing all feedback over the next few days, and making adjustments where required. This WILL happen. We have to find a solution that suits all users, whether they are on the boards, the tree, searching, etc. One that is suitable for older users and modern and simple enough for new users. And one that is consistent, appealing and attracts new business, WHILE still holding onto existing users. This is not an easy task, and sadly not as straightforward as just making the font bigger or a different colour. Don't worry, we will keep you posted of any changes, etc.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Aug 2012 08:52

They're working on it :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Aug 2012 09:11

Phil thankyou for responding, but yes it IS as simple as background colour and font for me anyway lol...!

I do have to say that attracting new users is fine.. and for that the tree and layout must be "modern and simple"...but without the current users also being on board those new ones will be left high and dry and leave pretty quickly I think,

Yes they will have the records and tree, just no one with any experience to help them use them, 'new' users will always be slightly 'older' users it's the nature of the beast. Very few people start caring much about their family history before the age of 30, they are too busy 'living it' :-D

Good luck with pleasing everyone, especially, I suspect, the company 'management'.

Estelle

Estelle Report 2 Aug 2012 09:31

Hi everyone, as an interim solution have you tried altering the brightness on your monitors? I have looked at the site on two different monitors and seen different results. On one I moved the brightness down to 80%, which worked for me. On the other I kept it at 100% and it doesn't seem too bright.
Also, have you tried altering the text size? I always have my text size in IE9 set at 125% for every website. I find this nice and clear to read.
As Phil correctly said above, we are monitoring feedback very closely. Not only are we reading the boards but we are also reading the feedback sent in to our customer support team. It has been a very hectic few days, and whilst we'd love to be able to respond to each and every post personally this just hasn't been possible, which we are sure you understand.

Estelle

Joy

Joy Report 2 Aug 2012 09:40

Thank you, Phil.

Estelle, Katie has made those suggestions for which I thanked her and responded that I will not change anything on the computer simply to suit genes reunited; the changes would affect the other sites that I visit with which I have no issues.

Please, GR staff, look at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php
and see the difference. This was a site that I quoted in my feedback.
Thank you.

I stay no longer. After a short time yesterday evening I left the site with a headache.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Aug 2012 09:50

Just the glare from the background is a problem with me, GR can you just tone it down a little not back to the last dingy one though :-D. Font will probably easier to read on a slightly less glaring background.