Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 18:43

Has anyone any access to records of ancestors who lived in Canada please - I'm not sure how to proceed. Eileen

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Jan 2018 19:03

What information are you looking for and when? 'Records in Canada' is a bit wide open.

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 19:33

Well, I'm looking for information on Terrence Michael Titus 1919-1994 and by a complete fluke I found a posting on the Find a Grave site via another site. It was a photo of his gravestone with a bit of info but when I contacted the linked person, it turns out he just photographs gravestones and disappointingly couldn't supply me with any other info.
I should explain that I'm researching Terrence Titus for his daughter here in uk. He married her mother in 1940 while in the Army and went back to Canada after the war. I have a record of the marriage in Uckfield.
All we know is that he came from Ontario . All the searches I've done so far simply show this same limited records. I thought maybe I would have better luck with access to Canadian records.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 19:53

Just for our reference:

Terrance Micheal Titus
in the Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Terrance Micheal Titus
Birth Date: 1919
Death Date: 1994
Cemetery: Mount Brydges Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Mount Brydges, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
Has Bio?: N

Terrance Titus
in the Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980
Name: Terrance Titus
Year: 1958
Electoral District: Middlesex East
Address: Merlin Crescent

Living with Mrs Eilene Titus

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 19:55

Terrance Titus
Name: Terrance Titus
Year: 1972
Electoral District: Middlesex
Address: RRI, Mt Brydges.

Living with Mrs Eilene Titus, cook; Charles Titus, apprentice; and Ronald Titus, office worker

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 19:58

Terry Titus
Name: Terry Titus
Year: 1963
Electoral District: Middlesex East

Address: 73 Tewksbury Avenue.

With Eilen Titus, factory worker

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jan 2018 20:13

This says he was born 22 Feb.1919, Ingersoll, Ontario.

Terrence Michael Titus
in the Detroit Border Crossings and Passenger and Crew Lists, 1905-1963
Name:
Terrence Michael Titus
Birth Date:
22 Feb
Birth Place:
Ingersoll Ont
Arrival Date:
25 Jun 1945
Arrival Place:
Detroit, Michigan, USA

It was just an occasional visit, less than 29 days.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jan 2018 20:16

Ontario birth records only go up to 1913 and marriages 1935.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jan 2018 20:32

FreeBMD has 2 Titus births with mother's maiden name Davey in Uckfield in 1943 and 1944.

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 20:39

Oh wow - that is so good! I'm a bit confused whether this help is from people who are related or looking things up for me ? or if the info is accessed in uk or not? Looks like it must be from Canada? Sorry to be so thick ! and many, many thanks , Eileen

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 21:03

Margaret M. interesting info - He was here in uk , in army during WW2 and married Constance May Davey - I have their marriage record. They had 2 children - which you have found the records for. Valerie was born first , then her brother. It is Valerie who wants the info. At the war's end Her father returned home of course - which must be the record you've found ... and the plan was for Constance and the children to join him there when he was settled , but
he took up someone else - Eilene Wilson (Norma Eilene on their gravestone).
So valerie and David grew up without their father. It would be wonderful if we could make connection with the half-siblings - Valerie is in her seventies now.
Thank you so much!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jan 2018 21:05

I am not related just like looking things up. Although I am in Canada most of what I posted was from Ancestry except for FreeBMD.

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 21:51

Hi again Margaret, I do subscribe to the uk Ancestry site, but it won't let me access Canada without updating my membership to 'world-wide', which I can't afford just for info on this one family unit. So I don't want to appear as if I'm putting on you or others' kindness , but I would be so grateful for any other info you may come across.
I can't wait to let Valerie know (she isn't pc friendly so I will phone her tomorrow).

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 21:54

ArgyllGran, thank you for all your info - it is so useful ! Eileen

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 22:38

I'm not related either - just looking things up.

Although I'm in the UK, this year's sub to Ancestry is with their Canadian site, as it was the cheapest for worldwide last time I renewed.
The info I posted is from that site.
Don't know if it's also on the UK site.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 23:13

There are various other Tituses in Middlesex, Ontario over the years - don't know if they're related to Terrence or not.

For example, there's a Charles Titus at 70 Lyman Street in 1949, with Mrs Charles Titus.
In 1953 he's at the same address (labourer), with Mrs Lulu Titus.
He's at the same address in 1963 and 1965, on his own - a labourer.

In 1953, at 65 Lyman Street, there's an Alfred and Mildred Titus.
In 1949 they're at 78 McNoy Street.

In 1963, a Cecil and Mrs Titus are at 4 Appin Street.

And there are others.

In 1949, Terrance and Eilene are at Strathroy (presumably Street), Middlesex.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Jan 2018 23:19

Maybe ???

Death of a sister of Eilene. Perhaps the funeral home would be able to put you in touch with the family, if you want to try to contact Eilene:

Hamilton, Vera June
Posted by Windsor Chapel Funeral Homes on October 20, 2015

hamilton
Passed away peacefully surrounded by her loving family on October 18, 2015 at the age of 81. Reunited with her dear husband Ronald (2002). Loving mother to Ronald, Sheila, Randy and Barbara & James Corless. Proud grandmother to Mariah Hamilton. Will be missed by siblings Marion Harris, Jean Kemp, Laura Englsdorfer and Eilene Titus. The family would like to thank the nurses, doctors and staff of Windsor Regional Hospital-Metropolitan Campus for all of their care and compassion shown to June. Visitation will be held at WINDSOR CHAPEL FUNERAL HOME (MAIN CHAPEL) 519-253-7234 1700 Tecumseh Rd. E [Windsor, Ontario ] on Tuesday October 20, 2015 from 7-9 pm. Cremation to follow. In kindness, memorial donations may be made in memory of June to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Online condolences and cherished memories may be shared with June’s family at www.windsorchapel.com

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Jan 2018 23:30

Thank you for all that info ArgyllGran. I believe that Eilene Titus is actually Norma Eilene Wilson Titus and died in 1994 and is buried with her husband. It's an unusual spelling of the name .... I will post tomorrow as it's way past my bedtime now!! ????????

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Jan 2018 09:06

It's occured to me that I may be getting the generations mixed up re - Eilene. I will investigate further ...

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Jan 2018 10:28

That obit for Vera Hamilton says that she will be missed by sibling Eilene Titus but Vera's death was 2015 and Eilene died 1994.
I wondered if that Eilene could be a daughter of Terrance & Eilene but Vera couldn't be their daughter because she would have been born 1934.